March 28, 2017, 12:42:32 PM

Author Topic: LightBlue Mod In Development - Dev Plan and Recommendations  (Read 591 times)

Scott_AutumnSnow

• View Profile
LightBlue Mod In Development - Dev Plan and Recommendations
« on: August 17, 2016, 09:20:12 AM »
You may have noticed a couple insignificant mods I published in the Steam Workshop.  Those were to figure out how the modding and publishing worked, and I'm now working on something more significant.  In this thread I want to:
  • Update on what's Ready
  • Present items Planned and In Development
  • Take recommendations, feedback, suggestions etc. for additions or modifications to the content I'm planning.

READY

Materials
In general, the aim with materials is to broaden the variety of materials, so that the look and feel of the game and also the items produced by these materials will be more colorful and interesting.

Stone: There are now 12 types of stone instead of the original 7 (stones vary in name and color)
Gems: There are now 10 types of gems instead of the original 2 (gems vary in name, color, value, and, according to value, depth)
Trees (those whose only purpose is wood; the others are included in Agriculture): There are now 6 types of trees for wood instead of the original 2 (trees vary in name, sprite, and color of wood produced)
Metals: There are now 17 metals instead of the original 11.  Metals vary in name, color, value, depth, and function (general strength, slash/pierce vs blunt, etc). 

Storage
In addition to the existing containers, I have added high capacity containers with twice the storage. I also added Treasure storage, which can only store valuable items (crafted from precious metals and gems).

• Crate (general storage, capacity 32) -> Box (general storage, capacity 64)
  • Barrel (liquid storage, capacity 64) -> Cask (liquid storage, capacity 128)
  • Bag (loose storage, capacity 32) -> Sack (loose storage, capacity 64)
  • Coffer (treasure storage, capacity 32) -> Chest (treasure storage, capacity 64)

PLANNED and IN DEVELOPMENT

Agriculture
My plans to overhaul agriculture (and as a result, culinary options) are absolutely massive, with 65 different plants including several new types.  To be honest I'm concerned that this will only be partially implemented given the level of investment, as it would require a ton of new sprites, which are not my strong suit.  I'll release more details when I've made more progress and can determine a realistic roadmap.

Powered Workshops
Once you've unlocked the steam engine you can build a workshop motor from the same parts, which can then be used to build one of several powered workshops.  These workshops will do the same job as the regular workshop but much more quickly.  Balancing is pending testing, but currently considering inputting and outputting 4x with the same processing time.

Current Powered Workshops planned:
  • Powered Stonecutter (higher priority)
  • Powered Sawmill (higher priority)
  • Powered Furnace (lower priority)
  • Powered Forge (higher priority)
  • Powered Gemcutter(lower priority)
  • Powered Loom (lower priority)

Glass
To add new terrain of sand that occurs occasionally in place of dirt (like clay does).  Sand can be refined and made into glass, which can be worked into glass furnishings and decor.

Weapons
Wooden Bow - Basic ranged weapon made at Carpenter
Arrows - Used with Wooden Bow; Crafted from shaft (Carpenter) and head (Carpenter/Stonemason/Blacksmith depending on material, which will affect damage)

Weapons
Wooden Armor - basic armor crafted by Carpenter for early game

Carpet
Carpets crafted at the Tailor from wool/cotton, as blocks or floors.  Can be dyed [see below].

Paints and Dyes
From a selection of available plants, pigment can be extracted at the Mill (new workshop) and then combined with:
  • Water to make Dye, for coloring fabric (Carpets, Beds, etc)
  • Lead and Water to make Paint, for coloring Stone and Wood

RECOMMENDATIONS and FEEDBACK

Ladies and Gentlemen, I leave that to you.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:59:26 PM by LightBlue »

Tacyn

• View Profile
Re: LightBlue Mod In Development - Dev Plan and Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:58:25 PM »
How is sand supposed to appear on maps?
Unless you plan to replace clay with sand,
I don't see how that is going to work.

Scott_AutumnSnow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 12:32:31 AM »
You're right that is too hardcoded, I hadn't checked on that yet.  I'll have to come up with another way, maybe follow a process similar to the existing Glassworks.  I'll have to take a closer look.

Scott_AutumnSnow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:57:40 AM »
For several reasons I've decided to pursue a different route.  I'll soon publish this one as is (extended materials and storage) but moving forward I'll be working with my partner under our studio name Autumn Snow.  For Gnomoria we're working on a mod that reimagines the game from the ground up, instead of just adding variety to what's already there.

See you in about 2 months :D

Roboute

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 05:17:21 AM »
That sounds interesting, keep us informed please :D

Tacyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 12:22:13 PM »
For several reasons I've decided to pursue a different route.  I'll soon publish this one as is (extended materials and storage) but moving forward I'll be working with my partner under our studio name Autumn Snow.  For Gnomoria we're working on a mod that reimagines the game from the ground up, instead of just adding variety to what's already there.

See you in about 2 months :D

Make sure you prototype your ideas and test them.
I found that a lot of my ideas where either not possible in the mod framework
or were possible but heavily bugged.