March 24, 2017, 10:51:05 AM

Author Topic: RoboB0b's prolonged absence  (Read 7892 times)

Merry76

• View Profile
Re: RoboB0b's prolonged absence
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 12:07:24 PM »
@Merry76, how about to convince him release Gnomoria open-source? He has been burned out, it's ok, but game will still live

I am less of a fan of convincing someone to give out his work for free. If he comes up with the idea himself its ok for me, but I wouldnt try to convince him because frankly i lack the time and programming experience to pick up the code myself. I can build _some_ C# (mostly Data parsers to shred unstructured data and fire it to sql server) code nowadays, but this game was written in XNA, which I never really got around to learn.

Not that I even could try, because right now getting any response at all seems impossible.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

juaner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 02:16:45 PM »
i think opening the code is a great idea to ask i make this post so maybe we can do it http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=8588.msg64614#new

goblinskull

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 08:57:56 PM »
I recently saw this talk by Jason Scott on the Hope conference that i recommend watching: https://youtu.be/GM-m_zzhayc?t=1999
About 31 minutes in he start talking about a kickstarter that burnt himself out and took farewell and was going to kill himself, things can get very overwhelming if you are alone.
(I linked exactly when he starts, watch it)
So be understanding because we don't yet know what have happened.
We only know one thing, disappearing like this is not normal, something must have happened.

Whatever happened to Robob0b, I hope he's okay!
If he abandoned this project to hold himself and his family together I support that decision.
Hes just human like everyone else, I could not have worked this far on a project like this myself.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:59:57 PM by goblinskull »

Gnomarch

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 01:50:29 PM »
We only know one thing, disappearing like this is not normal, something must have happened.

We actually know the opposite, it's perfectly normal to disappear like that. Lots of developers do it.

Nothing has happened to Robobob, he simply left.

VkMvCKKU50D0

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 10:12:20 PM »
the community should buy the source code from robobob and develp the all good ideas without him.

admanter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 02:12:57 PM »
the community should buy the source code from robobob and develp the all good ideas without him.

Ya know, thats not a bad idea. I wonder how much we can raise. I wonder how we could get ahold of robobob to see if he's interested.

patwall

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 10:27:50 AM »

Ya know, thats not a bad idea. I wonder how much we can raise. I wonder how we could get ahold of robobob to see if he's interested.

I think that this is an incredible idea. Gnomoria is my dream game and I would wager that others feel the same way. The game as of v1.0 is great and in line with what I expected back in 2013 when I bought the game. However, what is truly remarkable about Gnomoria is its potential. Robobob did so much right and a lot of the comments towards him and his game are totally unfair. That being said, it would be a shame to see this game stagnate until the community is completely gone.

Expressing this to robobob and asking about buying the source code shouldn't just be an idea that starts and ends in these comments. If anyone knows how to contact him I would love to discuss the reality of making this happen.

daxter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »
Just to say I love the idea of buying source-code (if Robobob does not intend to keep updating the game) and improving it. I would definitely contribute with financial support to this endeavor.

Asibin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 11:07:42 PM »
I would definitely be willing to donate some money to the cause.

Phtal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
I could not imagine to try to "take Robobobs game". Its his game, we alle bought it and are quite happy with it :)
He shall do whatever he thinks is "his" way of doing things. Hopefully he will remember his fans - and will come back later (TM).
Please stop discuss "buying" his game - as the source is not on sale :P

But ... i can imagine doing some "reverse engineering" and developing a few patches *gg* <runsaway>

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

• I am the universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »
Kick starter to raise money for Gnomoria buyout? Interesting idea.
But it's sad news, coming back here after couple years and seeing this silence..
This sentence is false.
I'm a liar.
This statement cannot be proven.

Jaclyn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 11:07:06 PM »
Kick starter to raise money for Gnomoria buyout? Interesting idea.
But it's sad news, coming back here after couple years and seeing this silence..

I too, find it rather disheartening, so much so that I registered for an account simply to express that. Whatever RoboB0b's situation is, it is rather sad that he just disappeared into the ether.

frullic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 06:56:29 PM »
So... if RoboB0b is still alive but unwilling to continue working on the game, there are a few options that will be lucrative to the Robotic One.

1. Status quo: The game remains in its current state, finished but unready, faded into obscurity and marred by the absence of development, its potential as a user-friendly clone of Dwarf Fortress forever lost.
2. Buyout and open source: Through Kickstarter, money is raised to summon RoboB0b and have the game open-sourced. Development can continue through volunteers, with the community-built versions occasionally being released as an update.
3. Full buyout: Through Kickstarter, a new developer buys the source code and continues work on the game. I pray to Armok that the new developer will continue development and not just copy the development methods used by the devs for Towns.

Otherwise, we can pray that Armok will accept our sacrifices and revive RoboB0b.

Koub

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2017, 09:24:28 PM »
4. RoboB0b, after a few years have passed, has the tingling that pulls him back to Gnomoria and comes back for a late update (as it happened to some games, like Terraria)
Koub - Please keep in mind that I'm not a native English speaker. Thank you for your tolerance.

frullic

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 07:31:24 AM »
I don't want to go through a full statistical analysis of resurrected development on fully released games but RoboB0b had a year to show a sign of life.