March 24, 2017, 10:51:50 AM

Author Topic: RoboB0b's prolonged absence  (Read 7894 times)

frullic

• View Profile
RoboB0b's prolonged absence
« on: June 26, 2016, 05:19:21 AM »
At first, I was understanding. Developing a game is hard work and a vacation was well deserved.
Then I was irritated. I have Towns in my game library so it wouldn't be the first time a developer took my money and ran off.
Now, I'm worried. Even the devs from Towns admitted they had problems, and showed signs of life.

Can anyone reach RoboB0b off-forum, preferably in person and at least get him to confirm he's still alive? The faith that he'll reappear and start updating Gnomoria again might end up becoming a religion.

Merry76

• View Profile
Re: RoboB0b's prolonged absence
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »
I tried, no dice (so far). Would mean over a month vacation "off the grid".

I am also worried.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

admanter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:46:20 PM »
At first, I was understanding. Developing a game is hard work and a vacation was well deserved.
Then I was irritated. I have Towns in my game library so it wouldn't be the first time a developer took my money and ran off.
Now, I'm worried. Even the devs from Towns admitted they had problems, and showed signs of life.

Can anyone reach RoboB0b off-forum, preferably in person and at least get him to confirm he's still alive? The faith that he'll reappear and start updating Gnomoria again might end up becoming a religion.

Thank you for posting this in a sane rational way.  Merry, are you our only life line back to robobob?

bizantia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 07:06:42 AM »
Agreed. You summed up my thoughts in many ways. I am thankful to robobob for all the work he put into this game. I've played it for 1,700 hours or more, second only to Diablo II and World of Warcraft, so I think that speaks well for his accomplishment...he made a game that is truly captivating, and although I would say the game is 'complete,' I would like to be a believer in the faith - the faith that this game will see updates and changes.

I also want to thank those who have developed mods... but those just don't feel the same. Glassworks and the new elemental monsters and the undead allow for more enemy invasions, and that changes the dynamics in the game some, but mostly the mods just add more clutter to an already well done game.

I've had lots of fun, thank you all.

frullic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »
So... Is it prayer time or something? Should we try some dark summoning ritual that involves leaving straw and seeds all over the place then dumping a thousand goblin heads in lava?

Alternatively, perhaps checking obituaries or court logs from his area might be a good idea.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:30:27 AM by frullic »

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:47:02 PM »
I dont think RoboB0b has met an untimely fate.

Well, I have witnessed quite a few of sinlge-creator burnouts, and I fear its that. However, if that is the case, chasing him down or summoning by lava burnt goblins might not really help us (as good an idea the latter is). Even if we get him to show up, if he has a burnout, he wouldnt be very productive - and even feel worse about himself for finishing his own dream project (he called it like this in the early days). Having dealt with burned out people, this would be the last thing that would help.

But you guys have been very civil about this situation, and I thank you for it. If anything, should he come back and read this, he will probably feel better about it all, and not feel like an angry mob is threatening him. I had good times with this game, and gotten every cent i spent in it back in hours of fun. There isnt a single AAA title that could reach it (so far, I still have some 30-40 years ahead of me, if civilisation holds up). I guess this counts for something.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

LionelParks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 09:42:11 PM »
I hope that he does come back, partly because I know that at least in my experience there are still many bugs in the game that need to be ironed out (Some of the ones I'm experiencing make playing my pre-existing games impossible), but I also admire the amount of work he's already put into this game. I mean, when I first got this game, despite it still being early access and very buggy, I could not stop playing it. It was all I thought about for weeks. The fact that a single person managed to make this game that has been extremely entertaining despite it's occasional flaws awed me, and if he does return (Even if it's just to see what people are saying on the forums), I hope he knows that many of us love this game and appreciate everything he has done.

I'm holding onto the hope that he'll be back in a month or two, once he's had time away, even if he doesn't go back to working on it as hard as he did before, or just stays in touch with the community in some small way.

rswhisper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 05:55:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/RoboB0b_

...it has been a while since he posted...

Fenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 01:45:42 AM »
Don't worry he seems alive:
https://www.reddit.com/user/RoboB0b

And it seems he has enugh Money for a Vive *caugh*
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:55:35 AM by Fenrir »

Tacyn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 06:11:47 AM »
Don't worry he seems alive:
https://www.reddit.com/user/RoboB0b

And it seems he has enugh Money for a Vive *caugh*

Given this older post, I assume he found a new job and it keeps him busy.

So what is the plan post release? Like Kerbal Space Program went to full release with their 1.0 version a few months ago. Yet hey are still working on the game, adding a bunch of new features and still improving the game. Their 1.1 will be updating the game to unity5 as well, and they have expressed a commitment to continue work well after 1.1.

Are you calling release good and going to be done with it? or are you leaving early access and still going to improve the game?

Ah this is a tough one.  I'd like to support Gnomoria as much as I can after release.  It all sort of depends on how much time I have as I'll probably have to find another source of income.

Fenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 04:11:59 AM »
Ah maybe my text came out to negetivly.
I just meant that he must be doing somewhat well.

Nordiii

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 04:44:51 PM »
Yeah it's really sad, I hope he will comeback and add multi core support! :)

We should think about a way how we can help him...

I would really love to see him publishing his code! That we could do fixes and updates and he only needs to review the pull requests :P

This game is just awsome and I don't need much more content but the performenc issues are quiet annoying :'(

Shendemiar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 09:10:58 AM »
I bought this from steam, maybe that encourages author to come back to nurture his gnomes

Shendemiar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 03:32:16 AM »
Played last night until 3 am. Just AMAZING! Pure GENIUS!

Anyway... despite the above it seems the game did not do so well (yet) as he hoped. What we can do as fans is to help bring it to the cult status the game deserves. This would make more income for him also, allowing him to spend the limited hours of effort in this project instead of earning living some other way.

So, spread the word, make awesome mods and so forth.

SP. Speaking of which, we should start fan site so at least one independent web site would remain regardless what happens with Robotronic Games

Fen1kz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 04:30:53 AM »
@Merry76, how about to convince him release Gnomoria open-source? He has been burned out, it's ok, but game will still live