February 24, 2017, 10:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Do beetles destroy armor ?  (Read 905 times)

kzwix

• View Profile
Do beetles destroy armor ?
« on: June 13, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
Hi,

I had a (mostly) bronze-clad military, and I opened a way into a beetle nest (it was a shaft which I had discovered earlier, and where I built floors, which I lit, one by one, starting from the top, in order to be on the safe side, spawn-wise)

But, of course, such a process takes time, especially when the shaft goes from -5 to -32. So, when I dug by -10, ready to create floors there, I had already got messages about undead dying "alone" in the shaft. A sure indicator of roaches.

Well, long story short, I got a slew of roaches pouring out of the newly dug stairwell. My 10 fighting gnomes were nicely trained, with "taunters", good killers, etc. , and they did a slaughter (like, killed maybe 30 to 40 beetles, with only minimal losses, like a beetle finding the heart of a gnome).

However, as the fights lingered on, I noticed that more and more gnomes became maimed or killed, and that they didn't drop armor (or not much), but dropped, instead, the materials from which their armor was made (bronze armor plates, padding, etc.). So, I'm wondering, do beetles destroy armor and reduce it to its components during fights ?   It's somewhat annoying to lose highly-trained, well-equipped gnomes merely because they become highly-trained naked gnomes...

So, has anyone suffered a similar fate ?   I read about drowning the bastards, or about crossbows, and I might do just that (by piercing far from their slopes), but I kinda wanted to rock them in melee, not lame-slay them from afar :'(

Razekh

• View Profile
Re: Do beetles destroy armor ?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:27:24 AM »
This is not exclusive to beetles but to all combat. Armor breaks after being struck enough times. That is how it works, while wearing armor the damage from the attack is applied to the armor and only once the armor is destroyed is damage applied to the gnome. It is unclear exactly how armor recovers but it seems to be restored between fights at least, as long as it wasn't destroyed, in which case it has to be recrafted.

Razekh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 08:33:10 AM »
Beetles are quite weak against armor, but if there are enough of them they will break even steel armor and kill your gnomes. That is the problem, they breed very quickly and can easily build up enough numbers to overwhelm your gnomes if given the chance. If you find a nest, don't take the chance with mellee, use crossbows. But you may end up with so many beetles that they will breed faster than you can kill them, making them near impossible to get rid of. If that happens, just seal them off until you can flood them or something.

kzwix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 10:38:46 AM »
Oh, this explains a lot, then...

Well, as for crossbows, I sent a squad of five noob crossbowgnomes, with bronze crossbows, and malachite quarrels. 23 bars of malachite worth of quarrels.
Well, they did improve a fair bit in proficiency, and they killed a bunch of the bastards, but they still seem to be legion. So, I'm guessing I'll have to empty one or two lakes on them, and drown the bastards.

Are there some things to be aware of, when flooding an area ?  I'm pretty fond of DF, and would even use lava if available, but I don't know the associated mechanics, in Gnomoria. Like, is there pression ? Will water evaporate when spread thin ? Should I drain it through the edge of map afterwards ?

And, more importantly, do my gnomes risk drowning stupidly when channeling water towards my preys ? (I didn't see any grate, for instance, or anything to keep a gnome from being sweeped by flowing water to a mortal fall / fatal lack of air... can water move critters ?)

Razekh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 11:34:49 AM »
Evaporation is a problem, water evaporates very quickly when spread thin. Opening up a 1 wide ditch to a reservoir with 100% water content will only allow water to reach about 20 tiles before evaporating. Higher levels of content/pressure can allow water to flow farther but don't try to open up long ditches all at once, you'll just empty your reservoir.

The percent number on water tiles refers to amount of water/pressure, I believe they are more or less interchangeable here, despite water actually being incompressible in reality. Deeper reservoirs allow for higher pressure further down.

Unlike DF water does not flow across map borders, you can't empty a reservoir through the map border, and there are no water sources on the map border. The only replenishment happens through rain.

Water can push gnomes back when flowing but given fast evaporation rates it isn't all that dangerous, unless you manage to get very high pressure. They should also easily be able to outrun the flowing water. But otherwise just prepare the ditch and then dig away the block from above with Dig Hole order, so you never expose the gnome to the water.

Gnomes can safely path through water that is ~80% deep, they shouldn't try to do tasks in deeper water, but I think I have seen them try to path through deeper section on occasion, not entirely sure on that one though.