March 30, 2017, 07:31:49 AM

Author Topic: Trying to understand cause of latency  (Read 1433 times)

Khalysto

• View Profile
Trying to understand cause of latency
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:42:56 PM »
Hey folks. Is someone willing to take a look at my game file to help me understand why my FPS hovers between 20 and 5?

System Specs:

CPU = i5 4690 3.50 Ghz
Ram = 16Gigs
Video = GTX 970 w/ 4 Gigs of memory

My machine is more than enough to run this game along with other AAA titles simultaneously, but as of year 5 Gnomoria started to experience major slowdown.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Thanks in advance...

File = https://spaces.hightail.com/space/930fT

=Khalysto=

Aynslei

• View Profile
Re: Trying to understand cause of latency
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 03:48:22 PM »
I went and took a quick little poke around the kingdom, I have a few questions and I may have missed stuff.

Did you have beetles enabled at the start of the game? Based on your mining pattern you could easily have a beetle hive hiding somewhere.

Does the lag start to occur when the gnomes are going underground? If so the lag could just be the number of gnomes making complex paths to get around. (I would suggest trying to make the under ground paths more streamlined)

Other than those two I don't see what would be causing the frame-rate issues as they are not always present.

Bonus tip: Here is a pic showing a decent mining layout for finding ores and keeping the paths lit. (the blocks can be mined out without any dark spaces)

RoboB0b has permission to use anything I post for any reason.
Feel free to contact me about any questions you have.
Wisdom and Knowledge are the most sacred things.

Egaldor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 08:56:55 PM »
for me. lag is caused by 3 things:

1. too many items laying arround
solution: sell all your excess stock of food, drink, wheat, etc or stock it well.

2. beetles. once i had too much lag and as i was mining i had the luck to spot a beetle lair without relasing them. but there wasn't 50 of them.
In that lair i killed 20.000 beetles using my crossbow and i equiped all my non soldier gnomes with flintocks pistol and had 15 gnomes shooting beetles 24/7. it took 10 years to reduce the population to a non lag point, but i stil have to put my ranger there to kill some and keep them down.

3. and if you wonder why i dont just get rid of the beetles for good, its because the caves are all connected and there is always a beetle hiding somewhere, and if i try to open a path to the lair to send my meele guys and clear them out (wich actually isnt hard as beetles cant deal with steel) all the beetles hiding are going to atack my guys and all that pathfinding will crash the game. oh yeah thats cause 3, massive pathfinding, and im talking about 2000 beetles.

So, over all, sell the stuff you dont need and keep the beetle population controled

Khalysto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 02:09:07 AM »
Hey folks - thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the tip on the mining method. As you can see from the higher floors, I did institute a regular mining pattern (two different techniques), but I switched to strip mining because I got tired of micromanaging my mining efforts. Now I cut a floor into 4 quadrants, mine out one, and have my gnomes stockpile the raw stone in the quadrant they're mining. Later it's either sold or moved up to a quarry storage area in my main base.

As for beetles, unless they can spawn randomly (i.e. don't need caves, I don't see how they would have become a problem. All of the cavern entrances are mined around and a 1 block deep wall is left to keep it isolated. The lag fluctuates so that makes me hesitant to jump straight to beetle overpopulation as the issue. I'm relatively sure I left them enabled, but if there's a way to look at the game config to confirm I'd love to know.

As far as, "when does the latency occur?", it doesn't happen because they're going underground. Some of my stockpiles weren't being managed well so I put a hiatus on mining so my haulers could focus on getting my stockpiles under control. The only gnomes that go deep underground at this stage are my Monks of Terra Firma.

Thanks,

=Khalysto=

Aynslei

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 01:41:32 PM »
Beetles can spawn randomly even in places that have no path to the gnomes that spawned them. (Underground enemies spawn in a short range of distance from gnomes with some extra rules)

I do believe that a save game editor will be able to show you if beetles are set to spawn but I have not used any since the 1.0 patch.

I would maybe suggest making sure all loose items are hauled (you can ignore hauling seeds as long as you sell the excess before it gets too high) and see if that helps.

RoboB0b has permission to use anything I post for any reason.
Feel free to contact me about any questions you have.
Wisdom and Knowledge are the most sacred things.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »
I'm not sure if this is related, but you might try enabling VSYNC in your graphics settings for the game.  I recently built a nice new high powered PC and noticed that even when paused gnomoria would consume enough CPU power to make my fans run noticeably louder.  Enabling VSYNC completely fixed that and calmed down the whole system.  I suspect that in a high end system the game tries to run at unnecessarily high frame rates and turning that on caps the frames at what your monitor can deliver.

Razekh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »
Pathfinding is probably a major cause here, it tends to become complicated once you dig out a lot of spaces underground. You are also playing on a huge map which makes this problem even worse. Maybe you could seal off some areas in your mines that you don't access anymore. You have done that in some places, but do it to simplify pathing as well.

Idle gnomes also cause heavy lag, I didn't check that, but how many idlers do you typically have. They tend to consume cpu cycles by looking for new jobs. Or did RoboBob fix that in a recent patch? Don't remember.

Water dynamics can also be a cause of major lag, but you don't have much water so I doubt that is your problem. Check if your lag increases while it is raining, if so, it is the rain that causes it. Since rain can fill water above 100% now, you can still end up with some water resettling even if all your reservoirs are filled.

Also, consider that Gnomoria doesn't use either GPU or multicore support, it runs on a single CPU core so having a great multicore CPU or GPU mean nothing for Gnomoria. Performance won't match your expectations of the total of your computer.

HanniHalco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 07:46:29 AM »
Hi...in my case i built a nice new high powered PC and noticed that even when paused gnomoria would consume enough CPU power to make my fans run noticeably louder.  Enabling VSYNC completely fixed that and calmed down the whole system.  I suspect that in a high end system the game tries to run at unnecessarily high frame rates and turning that on caps the frames at what your monitor can deliver.