May 28, 2017, 05:13:23 AM

Author Topic: Help with crossbow gnomes  (Read 2071 times)

Egaldor

• View Profile
Help with crossbow gnomes
« on: May 08, 2016, 08:04:02 AM »
i have a squad of crossbow gnomes, pretty skilled all with about 250 in crossbow, focus, and fitness. But still wont do much to help the melee squads as they fire way too slow.
im doing something wrong? does nimbleness affect in something? does it inceases the rate of fire or something?

Tacyn

• View Profile
Re: Help with crossbow gnomes
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »
What material are the crossbow and ammo made of?
for both it's Better metal = more dmg

Egaldor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »
What material are the crossbow and ammo made of?
for both it's Better metal = more dmg

Steel, Cotton strings, Pine wood, Steel bolts. and all of them legendaries because i had them clear a bunch of beetles

Aynslei

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 05:39:34 PM »
Have you tried using the single perk aim for the eyes? If your gnomes have high crossbow skill I find they are good about killing with this.
I also use the squad perk suppressive fire to help the other squads out.
RoboB0b has permission to use anything I post for any reason.
Feel free to contact me about any questions you have.
Wisdom and Knowledge are the most sacred things.

Egaldor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 06:13:43 PM »
Have you tried using the single perk aim for the eyes? If your gnomes have high crossbow skill I find they are good about killing with this.
I also use the squad perk suppressive fire to help the other squads out.

yeah i tried, but it wasnt too effective. and i dont know if its bosible for the bolt to hit the eye, pierce the skull and hit the brain, that would be cool.
about the supressive fire perk, i was using fire at will but i think you are right, supressive fire seems better since my melee guys are doing all the job.

Aynslei

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:22:01 PM »
yeah i tried, but it wasnt too effective. and i dont know if its bosible for the bolt to hit the eye, pierce the skull and hit the brain, that would be cool.
about the supressive fire perk, i was using fire at will but i think you are right, supressive fire seems better since my melee guys are doing all the job.

Yeah ranged gnomes can one shot kill if they hit the eye. I am pretty sure it will skip the helmet if there is one, but it wont always hit the brain. 

Egaldor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 10:09:32 PM »

Yeah ranged gnomes can one shot kill if they hit the eye. I am pretty sure it will skip the helmet if there is one, but it wont always hit the brain.

lol i thought eye shots blinded, since is not something vital. thanks for your answer, you helped a lot.
a last thing. crossbow skill affects damage or only accuracy?

Aynslei

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 10:46:07 PM »
Skill will affect accuracy from what I have seen, I think damage also based on skill but the material of the ammo and bow will matter a lot against tougher targets(steel and ogre) aswell.
I have not looked into the actual formulas in a long time.

Egaldor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 11:57:39 PM »
Skill will affect accuracy from what I have seen, I think damage also based on skill but the material of the ammo and bow will matter a lot against tougher targets(steel and ogre) aswell.
I have not looked into the actual formulas in a long time.

where i can see the formulas?

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 10:02:13 AM »

This https://www.gnomoriawiki.com/wiki/Weapons_and_Armor is still pretty accurate, unless someone modded the game of course (which is easy to do - if you just want to play around with the values. Something I couldnt complete before my current project).

So its basically for damage:

Base * MaterialMultiplier * WeaponVelocity * Nimbleness * MaterialModifier * WeaponModifier * Fitness

Where the attributes are divided by 100, giving you 1.2 multiplier for 120 Nimbleness for example. Note that this treats melee and ranged damage the same, which appears to be intended.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Egaldor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 08:19:07 PM »

This https://www.gnomoriawiki.com/wiki/Weapons_and_Armor is still pretty accurate, unless someone modded the game of course (which is easy to do - if you just want to play around with the values. Something I couldnt complete before my current project).

So its basically for damage:

Base * MaterialMultiplier * WeaponVelocity * Nimbleness * MaterialModifier * WeaponModifier * Fitness

Where the attributes are divided by 100, giving you 1.2 multiplier for 120 Nimbleness for example. Note that this treats melee and ranged damage the same, which appears to be intended.

Thanks! now i have a reason to keep leveling up nimbleness.
Btw, i sent them to clear a beetle infestation that had been building up for 24 years and now they all have like 550 in crossbow, 400 in focus and fitness and 200 in nimbleness lol. They seem to be far more effective now, still wont pierce armor but they are likely to get kill shots on unarmored foes and worn armors.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 03:22:06 AM »
Thanks! now i have a reason to keep leveling up nimbleness.
Btw, i sent them to clear a beetle infestation that had been building up for 24 years and now they all have like 550 in crossbow, 400 in focus and fitness and 200 in nimbleness lol. They seem to be far more effective now, still wont pierce armor but they are likely to get kill shots on unarmored foes and worn armors.

Thats some fierce elite marksman gnomes you have there.
Mind, even if they do not kill the enemy outright, ranged troops are basically guaranteed the first strike which can cripple an enemy quite well: shot in the leg? Enemy can fall over and be overall slower. Shot in the arm? enemy can drop his weapon before the fighting actually starts. Hit them in the eyes, the enemy is basically a punching bag for your troops. Of course, there will be more enemies than defender gnomes (unless you play on very easy settings) and there is a freak chance of all your marksman focusing on the same enemy, but the little edge of crippling enemies before the fight starts might tip the scales.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames