April 25, 2017, 03:38:31 AM

Author Topic: Soldiers vs Civilians ratio  (Read 1262 times)

sfedi

• View Profile
Soldiers vs Civilians ratio
« on: March 21, 2016, 03:21:02 PM »
Hi!

What is the a good/expected ratio of soldier gnomes and working gnomes?
Does it change as the Kingdom Value rises? Or as time goes by?

LobsterDawg

• View Profile
Re: Soldiers vs Civilians ratio
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 03:52:40 PM »
It really depends on your play style and difficulty settings.  Early on, I just make "militia" formation for when goblins attack. 

The vanguards wield dual wooden shields and the damage dealers wield stone axes and wooden shields.

I switch over all my gnomes from the "civilian" formation (avoid enemies, no uniform) to "militia" when they attack.

After a few seasons, once I have all the custom jobs filled in by at least one gnome (more gnomes for more important jobs like farming), have a squad of 4-5 dedicated soldiers that helps with horticulture and hauling when they're not training a combat skill.

This squad has 2 tower shield bearers with the taunt perk to grab the enemy's attention, 2 axe/hammer dual wielders with that one sneaky perk that gives gnomes a damage boost when they're not targeted.

At this point, I still back them up with my militia (literally everyone else in the fort) to help overwhelm the enemy.

My second dedicated squad is usually a ranged squad.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 05:07:49 PM »
I usually start out with militia until I have about 14-16 gnomes, at which point I switch to a full squad of defenders, leaving the civilians doing civilian things. I then go for at least 50% split in the civilian/military ratio, until I have sufficient civilians (I found out that about 15 civilians can be enough, however building stuff is going to be very, very slow), then all extras get military professions (which means all training, fighting, sleeping and - unfortunately - dying).

This also works for hard. For quite a long time too, but you will get overwhelmed at some point because military cannot actually keep up with the stack of doom that will happen. I dont use death traps, so the highest I got without anyone dying was about 1.5 million kingdom worth (I have yet to start another kingdom, and have not "finished" the 1.5 million one, because it was a huge time waster with its megaproject. I also wanted to mod the game, and got frustrated a few changes in. Now my life is changing.... Well, we will see  :D ). When the veterans start dying, it sets a downward spiral in motion, as new recruits only come at the start of the season, and they cannot hold a candle to the vast masses of goblins and ogres, and die first - not amounting to much.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

sfedi

• View Profile
Reducing Kingdom Value
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:26:30 AM »
(...) but you will get overwhelmed at some point because military cannot actually keep up with the stack of doom that will happen. I dont use death traps, so the highest I got without anyone dying was about 1.5 million kingdom worth (I have yet to start another kingdom, and have not "finished" the 1.5 million one, because it was a huge time waster with its megaproject. I also wanted to mod the game, and got frustrated a few changes in. Now my life is changing.... Well, we will see  :D ). When the veterans start dying, it sets a downward spiral in motion, as new recruits only come at the start of the season, and they cannot hold a candle to the vast masses of goblins and ogres, and die first - not amounting to much.

So, if you get into a situation like this, can you redice your Kingdom Value so you get attacked by weaker waves?

Aynslei

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 10:32:40 AM »
I don't really have much to say about a civilian vs military ratio since a big part of that would be based on your type of play through.
What I will say is that it takes a deceptively low number of citizens to maintain a large army if that large army is given some free time occasionly to blow through construction projects or the like.

So, if you get into a situation like this, can you redice your Kingdom Value so you get attacked by weaker waves?

Yes that can be done, but its based on how you raised your kingdom worth.
I know people used a strategy where they would build as many statues in the first two seasons as possible to get a large sum of gnomads and then sell them off as quickly as possible.
It would be harder if you had built your kingdom worth up slowly through large sections of worked stone and fancy rooms.

If kingdom worth is a large concern I would avoid smelting metal objects into slivers as that can lead to a lot of bloat.
RoboB0b has permission to use anything I post for any reason.
Feel free to contact me about any questions you have.
Wisdom and Knowledge are the most sacred things.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 12:27:44 PM »
If kingdom worth is a large concern I would avoid smelting metal objects into slivers as that can lead to a lot of bloat.

This has to be the truest statement ever... There is a bug (maybe its a wanted feature) that the broken down gear of your enemies creates the most valuable metal, leading to the fact that a statue made from the weapons of your slain enemies is the most valueble thing you can put into your great hall. Very westeros, which probably was why it was left in.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames