July 23, 2017, 07:35:02 PM

Author Topic: Save game of induced Stuck Hauler bug  (Read 886 times)

xkvp

• View Profile
Save game of induced Stuck Hauler bug
« on: March 07, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/srn9r8y4snz8n5g/stuckhauler.zip?dl=1

There has been a bug in the game for awhile where a hauler can get stuck trying to move items while using a wheelbarrow, sack, or bucket.  If a wheelbarrow, sack, or bucket was left on a stockpile when the game is saved, the game can view it as a long term storage (such as a crate, bag, or barrel) when that save is loaded.  I induced the bug in the buggedbucketfloor0.sav save by putting a bucket on a single tile stockpile, then did a save and load.  Then configured the stockpile to store beer.  Beer was then placed in the bucket.  I then credit a large stockpile for milk, put it to the highest priority then saved the game.  Now sometime after the game is loaded someone will grab the bucket with beer in it and will get stuck when they try to put milk in it (even though the bucket still has room in it).  In the game the bug will happen on floor 0, with the test stockpiles being near the west corner.

Till this bug is fixed, a method to free the stuck hauler is to go into their profession and uncheck hauling, then reassign them to their old profession and they will go about their business.  Another method is to suspend the stockpile they are trying to move items to.

I also included other saves with haulers that are already stuck.  I hope this will help, and also thank you RoboB0b for bringing us this game. :)

Burner

• View Profile
Re: Save game of induced Stuck Hauler bug
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 12:25:00 AM »
Something similar has been around for a while, I haven't seen sacks/buckets/wheelbarrows be used as longterm storage but occasionally buckets/sacks are dropped improperly without being emptied, then when a gnome comes around to use the bucket/sack for something else it will stand around until sleep/thirst/hunger/combat/training compells him to be elsewhere trying to forever fill the bag.

It's somewhat related to the fact that sacks/buckets are coded to only allow one kind of content, ie strawberry seeds, so you can't haul cotton seed with a sack that contains strawberry seeds, it will fail until the sack is dropped and emptied properly. This however doesn't apply to wheelbarrows I think because they allow multiple item types, so you can haul coal and iron or for example in the same wheelbarrow, so if one becomes bugged it only affects available space until it's dropped properly.

Lonestar51

• View Profile
Re: Save game of induced Stuck Hauler bug
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 09:49:57 AM »
Sorry for necro-ing this thread, but better this than opening a new one with the same info. Not that there is any real hope robobob will do anything to fix this.

I have seen the same bug in every fortress I played in the last year or two...

Only today I noticed why this happens: If there is an empty wheelbarrow on a stockpile, the gnomes confuse it with a crate. After this the wheelbarrow is no longer empty, but the next gnome thinks it would be a good idea to use it for carrying around ... whatever. Then the gnome comes to some item, with a wheelbarrow already full with stuff, and does no longer know what to do. Result: stuck gnome, which can be unstuck manually by disabling hauling labor for the gnome, but you have to see it first. Besides it being a pain in the a...