October 22, 2017, 07:41:47 PM

Author Topic: 'Any'Equipment Should Include None  (Read 648 times)

Hyena Grin

• View Profile
'Any'Equipment Should Include None
« on: November 02, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »
It's my first time playing the game, so I've been kind of feeling my way around a bit. If I am making some mistake here, please let me know so I can fix it in the future.

I of course set up an early militia just to train them, and had been building the odd piece of armor or weapon here and there and storing it away, planning to build a full set of equipment for a squad. Of course I was attacked by goblins before I could get everything built, so I quickly made a new squad with a new set of uniforms, with everything set to 'Any,' figuring that the gnomes would just go grab whatever was available and make due.

This is not what happened. Of the entire squad, only one gnome went out to engage the enemy. I struggled to figure out what was happening for a while, and it wasn't until after my one brave Gnome kicked off that I think I figured out what was happening.

That one gnome was the only one who got a full set of gear. Every other gnome was missing several pieces, and from what I could tell, they felt they were not fully equipped and thus would not attack. (I can't tell for sure, but this is my guess)

I would like to suggest that either 'Any' by default includes not wearing any armor at all, or there is a separate 'Any or None' option for uniforms, so that we can, in a pinch, just send a squad to the armory to grab some gear and make due. Otherwise we end up having to micromanage uniforms to accommodate what we have.

Thanks.

Merry76

• View Profile
Re: 'Any'Equipment Should Include None
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 10:31:24 PM »
"Any" Equipment does exactly that. If you can find anything, use that. Prefer metal armour over leather, even if the leather is way better (sadly, this is the case).

Its important to have a closer look to what the other gnomes where doing. There are several reasons why they were ignoring an attack order - blind guessing isnt helping. What could have happened is that they where too scared to actually engage the enemy and sort-attack and then run away right after they see the enemy. In that case, only better gear (and a full squad) will give them the confidence to actually fight.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Hyena Grin

• View Profile
Re: 'Any'Equipment Should Include None
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 04:07:27 AM »
Aha. Hmm. Now that you mention it a couple of squad members were displaying that behavior(moving toward the enemy and then fleeing), but others were just continuing to work agriculture.

In that case I'd like to suggest that events that prevent a squad member from engaging an assigned enemy are logged in combat events - that would really help troubleshoot. Having all but one member of a squad decide not to attack is pretty frustrating.