October 20, 2017, 02:43:41 PM

Author Topic: Gnomoria v1.0 RC15 release  (Read 72442 times)

gcook725

• Check out Glassworks!
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria v1.0 RC1 release
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 12:04:20 PM »
Had a modding related issue that I think is a bug... I'll repost it here from where I last put it since I know you seem to check here most often:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found a bug with Sprites: Using more than one <SpriteByMaterialID> for separate sprite layers causes a crash.

Example code that causes a crash:
Code: [Select]
  <Item>
    <ID>Table</ID>
    <Name>table</Name>
    <ObtainDescription>Crafted in a Carpenter's workshop</ObtainDescription>

<Value>5</Value>
    <WeaponSize>500</WeaponSize>
    <SpriteID>
      <SpriteID>StoneTable</SpriteID>
      <SpriteIDByMaterialID>
        <Key>Pine</Key>
        <Value>WoodTable</Value>
      </SpriteIDByMaterialID>
      <SpriteIDByMaterialID>
        <Key>AppleWood</Key>
        <Value>WoodTable</Value>
      </SpriteIDByMaterialID>
      <SpriteIDByMaterialID>
        <Key>Birch</Key>
        <Value>WoodTable</Value>
      </SpriteIDByMaterialID>

<!--Glass Table Variants-->
      <SpriteIDByMaterialID>
        <Key>GreenGlass</Key>
        <Value>GlassTable</Value>
      </SpriteIDByMaterialID>
      <SpriteIDByMaterialID>
        <Key>Glass</Key>
      </SpriteIDByMaterialID>
      <SpriteIDByMaterialID>
        <Key>LeadGlass</Key>
      </SpriteIDByMaterialID>
    </SpriteID>

<!--Glass Table Shine-->
    <SpriteID>
      <SpriteIDByMaterialID>
        <Key>GreenGlass</Key>
        <Value>GlassTableShine</Value>
        <MaterialIndex>-1</MaterialIndex>
      </SpriteIDByMaterialID>
      <SpriteIDByMaterialID>
        <Key>Glass</Key>
      </SpriteIDByMaterialID>
      <SpriteIDByMaterialID>
        <Key>LeadGlass</Key>
      </SpriteIDByMaterialID>
    </SpriteID>
  </Item>

And here is the crashlog:
Code: [Select]
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Date: 10/8/2015 11:23:24 PM
Assembly: gnomoria.exe
 Version: 0.9.18.0
   World: world05
 Message: Nesting more than one SpriteBatch.Begin when using a SpriteBatch with SpriteSortMode.Immediate is not allowed.
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Begin(SpriteSortMode sortMode, BlendState blendState, SamplerState samplerState, DepthStencilState depthStencilState, RasterizerState rasterizerState, Effect effect, Matrix transformMatrix)
   at Game.GUI.Controls.Renderer.Begin(BlendingMode mode)
   at Game.GUI.Controls.Manager.EndDraw(Rectangle rect)
   at Game.GUI.Controls.Manager.EndDraw()
   at Game.GnomanEmpire.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
   at A.cebc1c67c4a164a49b1c279b0006957be.c49a93168dc3d77742f5742786a5b60b9(String[] c51864dddd6353b79e1a34e131a62f09a)

Check out my first mod: Glassworks!
It has windows!
Also, check out my Twitter!

Willbulle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 12:11:58 PM »
Good to see performance updates come to v1. Like someone says below, it's been al ong road :)

I have a slight increase in fps, but not that much 14-16 goes to 17-20 between 0.9.18 and 1.0 (zoomed out).
 While on normal zoom, perf is 20-30 to 30-40 range.

What irks me is the dip when an attack happens.  I may have too many soldiers (perhaps 25 out of 40) but fps goes down to 1 zhen the pathfinding is calculated.
ie normal game.. 17fps
A golem spawns  1fps
the golem gets attacked 16fps
the golem is dead, soldiers returning to their duties 1fps.

I wanted to load one old kingdom I abandonne due to perf, but it wouldn't load (doent matter, old rc version), but I had a trap/sensor plate combination for trickle that made pathfinding loops whenever someone pressed it. (so slow/fast/slow/fast/etc)

Litcube

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »
Good to see performance updates come to v1.

Indeed!  Hopefully the start of optimizations.  I tested a few of my old kingdoms, and unfortunately, I'm still dipping.  I hope to one day wake up to those kingdoms in 105fps and be able to play again.

Imponaut

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »
Also being affected by the idle military bug here. Squad of 4, sent to attack goblins. 2 monks engage, 1 hangs back alongside my hammer-wielding monk. Also getting similar issues on another kingdom - instead of giving chase to wild animals, the mass of troops will move to the last location, then stand around. Some will continue the hunt, others will break off and return to training. Ranged units are not consistently staying at range, and are consistently failing to reload ammo as per settings.

re1wind

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 02:47:21 PM »
Setting the squad's formation to NONE fixes the standing idle bug, but that removes formation perks and uniforms, unless you set those up for each class, etc.

wingmanx7

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 03:58:30 PM »
I think the bug of the "gnomes standing around  doing nothing" is caused by mods. I tested it and it only occurred in my two modded kingdoms.

Pasta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »
I think the bug of the "gnomes standing around  doing nothing" is caused by mods. I tested it and it only occurred in my two modded kingdoms.

Nope. It happened to me last night on a fresh world, no mods. It only happens when gnomes are in squads. There are also issues with Guard Areas and Patrol Routes. I was trying to get a squad to man a Patrol Route and they all just stood there, in one square of the route. Then I unassigned that squad and they all kept standing there, with their current task showing "On Duty". I removed the Patrol Route altogether, same thing. Disbanded the squad, they were still standing there with their task set to "On Duty". It looks like when it happens it takes at least one gnome sleep-cycle to fix it.

entrappedmind

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 08:09:37 PM »

Nope. It happened to me last night on a fresh world, no mods. It only happens when gnomes are in squads. There are also issues with Guard Areas and Patrol Routes. I was trying to get a squad to man a Patrol Route and they all just stood there, in one square of the route. Then I unassigned that squad and they all kept standing there, with their current task showing "On Duty". I removed the Patrol Route altogether, same thing. Disbanded the squad, they were still standing there with their task set to "On Duty". It looks like when it happens it takes at least one gnome sleep-cycle to fix it.

I've had it persist even after gnomes slept (and, at times, they wouldn't even go to their own bed, they'd just sleep where they were idling). Also, I know for a fact it's not related to mods, as I haven't delved into the mods out there yet - my game's entirely vanilla.

Setting the squad's formation to NONE fixes the standing idle bug, but that removes formation perks and uniforms, unless you set those up for each class, etc.

I haven't tried that yet... If that's true, that should help isolating the cause - it has something to do with Formations, rather than Squads. Interesting.

EDIT: Still getting some idlers when in a squad with NONE set for formation... And while having it set up that way did allow them to train, it didn't work for defense because squads without a formation will not respond to attack orders. So... No bueno either way lol.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:18:48 PM by entrappedmind »

Razekh

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 11:51:12 PM »

I haven't tried that yet... If that's true, that should help isolating the cause - it has something to do with Formations, rather than Squads. Interesting.

EDIT: Still getting some idlers when in a squad with NONE set for formation... And while having it set up that way did allow them to train, it didn't work for defense because squads without a formation will not respond to attack orders. So... No bueno either way lol.

Yeah, but without a formation there is no squad based behavior anyway (other than if you assign them to a specific post) so your conclusion really doesn't add anything. But removing the formation removes the functions of squads, whether they are military or civilians.

But this bug only affects civilian tasks, don't it? So it should have no impact on permanent military squads that are always on military duty? The problem is with civilian gnomes and squads. I always put them in squads with a civilian formation so they can use torches, scout and keep your eyes open for bonus vision range and move speed, that doesn't work at all for me now.

entrappedmind

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 06:07:36 AM »
Yeah, but without a formation there is no squad based behavior anyway (other than if you assign them to a specific post) so your conclusion really doesn't add anything. But removing the formation removes the functions of squads, whether they are military or civilians.

Good point, I s'pose.

But this bug only affects civilian tasks, don't it? So it should have no impact on permanent military squads that are always on military duty? The problem is with civilian gnomes and squads. I always put them in squads with a civilian formation so they can use torches, scout and keep your eyes open for bonus vision range and move speed, that doesn't work at all for me now.

Not necessarily.. After combat, some of the gnomes will just sit wherever they were when combat ended. Sometimes. I think. But yeah, that's been my temporary fix - just have a full-time squad manning the training grounds rather than rotating shifts.

This certainly hasn't been a game-breaking bug, just more of an annoyance lol.

Imponaut

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 09:45:39 AM »
Update on my issue:

Going in and opting out of the Indev branch and rolling back to 0.9.18 resolved the issue completely. Verified on two worlds, one running EspEcon and the other without any mods.

Opting back into the Indev and updating, the first encounter with a wild animal seemed to go properly, but then the next goblin attack had my troops standing idle during combat, going to drink / eat (not dying of either) and running to and standing in the location the enemies were spotted initially.

Now we play the waiting game on the last official release, because I'd really rather not have my troops slaughtered while standing idly by :p

Razekh

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »
I also noticed that with the gnomes training, there seems to be problems. The gnomes don't seem to be taking advantage of perks, in particular Way of the Gnome. The attack rate while they are sparring appear to be much too slow for WotG.

EDIT: If perks fail to work correctly then something is off about the military squad behavior in general.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:08:26 PM by Razekh »

entrappedmind

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 03:41:34 PM »
I also noticed that with the gnomes training, there seems to be problems. The gnomes don't seem to be taking advantage of perks, in particular Way of the Gnome. The attack rate while they are sparring appear to be much too slow for WotG.

EDIT: If perks fail to work correctly then something is off about the military squad behavior in general.

Why do I have a feeling that, since in the latest update Robo tweaked/optimized a few gnome-related behaviors and whatnot, that this'll end up being one of those stupid little "Oh, crap, I put in a comma instead of a semicolon!" kind of deals that take eons to find?

Bug-fixing is one of the reasons I've got massive respect for devs - because I don't have the patience for that stuff.

Razekh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 02:55:09 AM »
The sound volume settings reset to 100% every time I start the game, both music and sound effects. It only does this in 1.0RC1, not in 0.9.18. Nothing else about settings reset that I have noticed.

Razekh

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 03:03:54 AM »

I tried removing the formation from the training squads, and their attack speed went up a lot without a formation. The squad behavior is seriously broken right now.