April 30, 2017, 05:52:50 AM

Author Topic: Got questions about Mod Development? Ask here!  (Read 7023 times)

Scott_AutumnSnow

• View Profile
Re: Got questions about Mod Development? Ask here!
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2016, 07:36:10 AM »
I seem to have mucked up my original spritesheet, possibly other mod files.  Is there somewhere I can acquire the vanilla Mod Files so I'm using a stable base for my mods?

I've used the guide (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642019285) and only put the base mod files themselves, as a test.  When I go to the Gnomoria GUI and submit it to the Steam Workshop, it hangs for a second before returning "Failed".  This is without making ANY changes to my base mod files, so I think they are somehow corrupted (definitely my fault).

So where can I get copies of the original files?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:48:57 AM by LightBlue »

admanter

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2016, 08:38:26 AM »
I seem to have mucked up my original spritesheet, possibly other mod files.  Is there somewhere I can acquire the vanilla Mod Files so I'm using a stable base for my mods?

I've used the guide (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642019285) and only put the base mod files themselves, as a test.  When I go to the Gnomoria GUI and submit it to the Steam Workshop, it hangs for a second before returning "Failed".  This is without making ANY changes to my base mod files, so I think they are somehow corrupted (definitely my fault).

So where can I get copies of the original files?

Make sure to back up your copy and then try the verify game cache option through steam.

Scott_AutumnSnow

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2016, 02:40:35 PM »
So I verified the game cache by Steam and it redownloaded 3 of the files.

I then created a folder called Test1 in ...common/Gnomoria/Steam Workshop.  I added a preview.png and a settings.ini with the following content:

Code: [Select]
Name = BaseTest
Description = Testing to see if my base mod files can compile and upload to the Workshop successfully.

I created a 'Data' folder in the same directory and inside that folder included only the newgamesettings.xml file.  It is completely unchanged and I understand the game should just load the vanilla versions of any files not included.

When I try to submit via the Gnomoria UI, again it just returns "Failed".  Is there a log somewhere that could guide me to why this is always failling?  It does generate a workshopit.ini file with the ID, and it will appear in my workshop files in steam but blank and with 0.00MB.  Really frustrating...

Scott_AutumnSnow

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »
The guide here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642019285 says its for v 0.9.18.  Is the process different now with v1?

I am trying everything I can and every time it just Fails :(

Tacyn

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2016, 11:46:11 PM »
Just as the guide says.
You need to add a folder named 'Mod Files' in your 'Test1'.
The 'Data' folder goes in there.

Scott_AutumnSnow

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2016, 08:34:15 AM »
Thanks Tacyn, just got my test mod to upload privately.  Guess I just wasn't reading that line of the guide right.

I've got a couple ready to publish and a couple in the pipeline, hopefully you'll see them in the workshop!

Scott_AutumnSnow

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »
Alright I've got two mods up successfully and a few subscribers, mission accomplished there.

My next question is, how do I build a mod so that it can be used as an add-on?  For example my second mod is tiny, just sets all research to unlocked from the start, as requested by someone on Steam.  So how can I package that so folks can use it with another mod like Tacyn's?

Thanks!

Scott_AutumnSnow

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2016, 12:17:31 PM »
Forget this, Tacyn already helped.  Problem was that my settings.ini was in the main directory for the mod, not the 'Mod Files' directory.

Another question, sorry for so many: How do I set the name of the Mod, other than the settings.ini file?  When you create a game and select the mod, right now you just see the wokrshop id number instead of the proper name.  I've seen this with a few other folks mods, but for example I can see the proper name of Tacyn's mod. 

I set the name in the settings.ini file, and it's the name of the directory folder, and it's the name I gave when adding it to the Steam Workshop through the Gnomoria GUI... what am I missing?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 01:47:30 PM by LightBlue »