March 24, 2017, 10:45:09 AM

Author Topic: Got questions about Mod Development? Ask here!  (Read 6660 times)

Mike9

• View Profile
Re: Moding UI.
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 06:35:46 AM »
Greetings,

I am trying to create a mod that will take care of our dearly departed Gnomes and am having trouble finding the Item or Sprite ID for Dead Gnomes.  I found the Corpse ID under the goblins setting but not sure if that also doubles as the ID for Dead Gnomes.  Any idea where I can find the ID?

~~ Javada

The reason you can't find one is it the alive gnomes use the same sprite as dead gnomes, there just rotated 90 or -90 degrees.

Is there a way to mod UI: add additional panels with info etc?
didn't found any info about it.

Is there actual ability to mod logic, calculation etc, not only sprites? if so is there any info or mod where i can look code to get which language used in it and what API is ?

1. No UI modding isn't supported at the moment.

2. Depends what you mean by logic and calculations. You can modify most of the items, plants, animals, weapons, gnomes, colors and stats of these.

3.Cant help you with the API, since last I read he built the game engine from scratch so only Robobob would be able answer that. That said I believe there are some custom map editing tools that fans have made, perhaps you could find out who made them as they may know the answer.

Liru

• View Profile
Re: Got questions about Mod Development? Ask here!
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »
Is there a way to add combat skills to a gnome in the starting settings? I know you can change things like woodcutting and stuff, but I'd like to give them some decent combat stats too.

LobsterDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 07:35:10 AM »
I've been meaning to get into modding and I just have a few questions.

How does the game handle hiding recipes of items that are not researched? Is it as simple as stating the research difficulty in research.xml and the game just hides those items from workshops until a gnome researches that difficulty in game?

Is there a difference between using one sprite sheet and using a bunch of single sprite files on a smaller scale (1-20 sprites)?  As in, would the game be better at handling the former or latter.  Which would give a bigger performance hit?  What if that occurs on a large scale of 1000+ sprites (hypothetically)?  Would the game have a harder time processing one big .png file or a thousand little .png files?

Thanks in advance!

Tacyn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »
Is there a difference between using one sprite sheet and using a bunch of single sprite files on a smaller scale (1-20 sprites)?  As in, would the game be better at handling the former or latter.  Which would give a bigger performance hit?  What if that occurs on a large scale of 1000+ sprites (hypothetically)?  Would the game have a harder time processing one big .png file or a thousand little .png files?

There is no difference.
The game creates a single sprite sheet from all sprite files when the mod is loaded.

LobsterDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 01:49:39 PM »
There is no difference.
The game creates a single sprite sheet from all sprite files when the mod is loaded.

Thank you! that's good to hear.  Lastly, I need to learn how to draw isometric sprites.  Is there any recommended tutorials out there? Pixel art doesn't come as naturally to me as other stuff I've done in the past.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:38:56 PM by LobsterDawg »

Nemeis

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2016, 02:51:31 AM »
Does anyone know how to have a crop with different sprites like the grape plants do? I'd expect it to be done with the StateSprite tag, but the grapes don't use this. I've tried several values for the name of the state with no luck yet.

Tacyn

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2016, 04:06:30 AM »
Does anyone know how to have a crop with different sprites like the grape plants do? I'd expect it to be done with the StateSprite tag, but the grapes don't use this. I've tried several values for the name of the state with no luck yet.

Grapes are done via the seed in item.xml, where it has a 'planted' statesprite which is special for grapes.

Code: [Select]
<StateSprite>
      <Key>Planted</Key>
      <Value>
        <Item>
          <SpriteID>PlantedSoil</SpriteID>
          <SpriteIDByMaterialID>
            <Key>Grape</Key>
            <Value>GrapeVine</Value>
          </SpriteIDByMaterialID>
        </Item>
      </Value>
    </StateSprite>

Mike9

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2016, 05:30:29 AM »
Is there a way to add combat skills to a gnome in the starting settings? I know you can change things like woodcutting and stuff, but I'd like to give them some decent combat stats too.

Yes and no. You can improve you weapon skills but cant set your own numbers it is all randomly generated.

In order to do that it has to be attached to individuals starting professions not individual gnomes. Meaning all miners could be better at (what ever skill(s) you set) but others starting professions wouldn't be unless you added that skill to there starting profession aswell.

In order to achieve this in theory, I stress theory this isn't something I have tried. You would have to edit the newgamesettings.xml.

You should see a long list of entries similar to this for each profession.

<Profession>
    <Name>Miner</Name>
    <Skill>Mining</Skill>
    <Skill>Masonry</Skill>
    <Skill>Stonecarving</Skill>
    <Skill>Hauling</Skill>
  </Profession>

You will need to add what ever skills you would like within each of the professions you would like to be better at combat for example here I included  NaturalAttack which improves fighting.

<Profession>
    <Name>Miner</Name>
    <Skill>Mining</Skill>
    <Skill>Masonry</Skill>
    <Skill>Stonecarving</Skill>
    <Skill>Hauling</Skill>
    <Skill>NaturalAttack</Skill>
  </Profession>

If your looking for a complete list of skills open up the skill.xml.

Given that you start the game with Miners, Farmers, Woodcutters, Builders and a Rancher. I would only try editing one of those professions at first to test it out but if it gives them a boost let me know.

Tacyn

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 05:59:49 AM »

Alternatively, you can modify faction.xml to change the starting skills of new gnomads.

LobsterDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2016, 01:28:03 PM »
The background shows up on the bottom right of my sprite, how do I prevent this from happening?

I used GIMP to draw this sprite with multiple layers and exported with 0 compression level.

I crafted that item with sandstone (place holder ingredient just to test out how the sprite will look)

Does material tinting occur before or after the background color is subtracted from the sprite?

Tacyn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 01:32:27 PM »
The background shows up on the bottom right of my sprite, how do I prevent this from happening?

I used GIMP to draw this sprite with multiple layers and exported with 0 compression level.

I crafted that item with sandstone (place holder ingredient just to test out how the sprite will look)

Does material tinting occur before or after the background color is subtracted from the sprite?

I guess you mean those three red pixels.
You just need to paint them the same background pink like the rest.
They might look the same, but a brush stroke most likely changed them slightly.

LobsterDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2016, 02:03:31 PM »
I tried remaking the sprite from scratch and it worked!

At first, I only recolored the background layer to be R 255 B 255 and the same pixels were bugged.

I guess the problem was with the other layers while I was editing and not the "background" layer itself.

Thanks! :)

LobsterDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2016, 06:29:05 PM »
Code: [Select]
<Item>
    <ID>Bandage</ID>
    <Name>bandage</Name>
    <ObtainDescription>Crafted at a Tailor</ObtainDescription>
    <Effect>
      <Effect>Heal</Effect>
      <Amount>1</Amount>
    </Effect>
    <HasQuality>false</HasQuality>
    <WeaponSize>0</WeaponSize>
    <SpriteID>
      <SpriteID>Bandage</SpriteID>
    </SpriteID>
  </Item>

Does anyone know what <Amount> does for the Heal effect? What would happen if I raise that number to, let's say, 2 or 10 or 100?

seronis

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 10:56:58 AM »
Only guessing.  Is it related to the number of body parts that a single bandage is willing to fix ?   Damage in Gnomoria is bodypart specific after all.  Not a 'total hitpoint' thing like is common in other games.

Tacyn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2016, 04:51:01 AM »
Anyone know what Penetrationdepth in weapon definitions exactly does?