October 22, 2017, 07:42:05 PM

Author Topic: Raincatcher  (Read 715 times)

Vineheart01

• View Profile
Raincatcher
« on: September 05, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »
We have a well, which makes for a quick drink when our stocks are dried up (something ive never been able to avoid atleast a couple dozen times the first 2 years lol), but unless you have a sizable lake for the rain to hit and refill, you can actually run out of water either by drying it all up or making whats left very dangerous to try and use (too far or underground with the risk of flooding)

Raincatchers are made from planks, stone, or metal with the differences being purely cosmetic. Theyre basically just an open barrel that has to sit outside. Rain drops will tend to prefer to fall into the raincatchers and fill them up. Once full, or just with any amount of water, gnomes can drink from it like a well or haul it over to a new task called "Dump Raincatcher" which dumps it into a pit, allowing controlled creation of moats, rivers, and lakes. Gnomes will return the Raincatcher to its original spot once they dump  it, and this task persists until cancelled manually or there are no more Raincatchers with water inside.

Honestly, im mainly suggesting this because it gives us a way to make moats that arent a super headache to do. The well-like side effect came to mind during my current kingdom where i actually ran out of water that wasnt 40+ blocks away from my gate. I actually had to make a "safe route" to that water spot so my gnomes could get to it safely lol...and that took a lot of time.

lordkatana

• View Profile
Re: Raincatcher
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:47:19 AM »
like the idea, mainly for moats... but a well is only for early game.. gnomes loose to much time walking back and forth on water.. wine/beer is much more preferable (and easy to make)...

CabbageFoot

• View Profile
Re: Raincatcher
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 11:41:14 AM »
Holly crap! you dried up a lake?!?! That must have been one tiny lake! I've literally never had that problem, if you are concerned about the size of your water resivoir you could just expand the lake and then it will catch more rain water and fill up quicker. Just a though ;b But seriously, I've never had a lake go lower then 98% on the first level of water. Do you just slaughter your yaks first thing never make a brewery for 2 years? A lake can keep your hydrated for a long time.