May 24, 2017, 08:43:09 AM

Author Topic: 4K resolution  (Read 1595 times)

Steelsky

• View Profile
4K resolution
« on: July 31, 2015, 03:49:09 AM »
Hey,

I had a look and found some posts from 2013 about resolutions and Gnomoria being capped due to technology limitations.

Is this still the case or would it be possible for not much effort to enable a few higher ones?

Preferably all the way up to 4K :-)

/S

hugeknight

• View Profile
Re: 4K resolution
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »
 just zoom out

RoaminGnome47

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 10:10:10 AM »
just zoom out

Ya thats not how resolutions work....

I was not aware that there was a limit... Im on 1080p for now but I should look into that as I intend to upgrade to 1440p soonish
This is really the name I use for everything, Gnomoria stood out to be the moment I saw the name :D

hugeknight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 08:53:53 AM »
just zoom out

Ya thats not how resolutions work....

I was not aware that there was a limit... Im on 1080p for now but I should look into that as I intend to upgrade to 1440p soonish

mmmmmmmmmmm thanks for feeding me.

but in all seriousness this game is not supposed to look very high def it supposed to have lots of depth soooooo i think (hope) thats the road we go down through but i play on 1080p and when you zoom out to max its looks nice enough.

also even if rob doesn't do it himself there will definitely be someone who will mod it so for you theres a lot of hope.

Mosquitobait

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 11:10:45 AM »
Resurrecting this thread because I have a 4k laptop now. Would like for the 2048-wide limit on windowed mode to go away so I can size the window to have UI elements large enough to be readable.

reexe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 11:29:46 AM »
The limitation is in the XNA framework. There is a guy Michael Russell that have made a custom launcher/mod for Terraria that enables higher resolutions (http://romsteady.blogspot.se/2011/05/terraria-trainerresolution-launcher.html), Terraria is also XNA framework so it should be possible. Try sending a email to that guy and see if he is willing to mod Gnomoria aswell.

Another possible way of making it work would be to use the OpenGL version (Linux version) of the game, it does work in 4K resolution. Maybe there is a way of porting the OpenGL version to Windows? I mean u can port stuff to Linux so why not the other way around?
The Linux version acctualy have a exe file in its folder and i have tried to get it to run on windows using mono (seems to be what linux uses to get the game to run), i was not sucessfull in this attempt but others may be better at that stuff that me.

reexe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 12:06:57 AM »
There is hope!

I sent him a email explaning the situation. He replied to me that he was in Asia and wanted me to come back in a weeks time, but he did say "It may be ludicrously simple to do.".  :D