February 24, 2017, 10:55:32 PM

Author Topic: Godthrone  (Read 9589 times)

Notho

• View Profile
Re: Godthrone
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2015, 06:03:57 PM »
Fall Year 7:

Terraforming was finally finished on the rest of the terrain that was in the way, and the last bit of grove was laid out. We are looking at possibly producing some steel one handed weapons for our first military squad, the Despaired Dogs. We are continuing to mine on level 50 but we're thinking it might be better to go deeper. What's the worst that could happen?

We saw our first steel clad soldier this season! It was just him, three raiders and an iron clad fighter, so the battle wasn't too bad. No injuries to report. What's more concerning is our food stock level, as it's high enough for more mants than we've seen so far. None have been spotted yet, but we feel it's only a matter of time before they show up again...

Arcan Genth

• Geekling
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2015, 10:44:04 PM »
Looks like you're progressing well and deeply.   Keep it up, makes for a fun read and it's great to see other kingdoms.

Notho

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
Thanks! Sorry to hear about your kingdom, though. As I said, you and Serif inspired me to start this. I hope you do another once your work situation clears up.

Winter Year 7:

While we only mined down one more level this winter, we did find a nice vein of iron which we greedily mined out. We're going to need a lot more of it if our soldiers are going to be sporting steel armor any time soon. A few steel one handers have started appearing in the hands of the Despaired Dogs and the Primitive Manglers, but as they're worth as much as bronze two handers individually, we may need to stop making them in favor of armor. A gold statue was finally produced for the reflecting pool, and work was begun on the level three living quarters.

Three gnomads made the trip to Godthrone this season. That or they were chased here by the three mants that showed up shortly after they did. Napper, Wosegripo, and Humperticketo were welcomed warmly. The mants were not. The goblins also attacked twice this season, and while the steel clad soldier in the second raid with two swords was scary, both attacks were repelled.

Notho

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 08:35:30 AM »
Spring Year 8:

Mining continued down to level 53 where we found two more modestly sized iron veins. Also, a small bit of progress was made on the level 3 living quarters, and some issues with food and drink production were finally sorted out (hopefully). The biggest news, however, was beginning work on our hatch trap system which will eventually drop enemies down into an arena! The alpaca 'safety valve' for visiting merchants is already done, and we're just waiting on parts for the upper level of it.

Just in time too, as the goblins brought a two-headed ogre for the first time this season. It was felled by Poldaiste after a long battle, with no casualties on our side. Oddly, there were no mants this season, although we should probably expect to see more of them soon.

Notho

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 07:58:12 PM »
Summer Year 8:

Work was finished on the upper part of the trap but has yet to be tested by an enemy invasion. We'll see if they prefer going up and down some stairs or if they'll just try to bash in the doors. Some modifications may be needed. We moved out blade traps out in front of the stairs and, after seeing just how far up the entrance tunnel everything was now, we spent the rest of our time moving some training areas. We're not sure what to do with the old training area, but for now it still has the hospital. That may need to be moved at some point too.

The goblin raid this season was no big deal: no ogres or soldiers for some reason. Props to the guard alpaca who happened to randomly drop one of the invaders into a shallow pit where he starved to death. Four mants also appeared, and while we got a scare from Zie running out to build a windmill, alone, she ran back after being stung. They were then swiftly dealt with by the rest of the military.

Notho

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »
Fall Year 8:

Most of this season was spent working on the new training ground area and fine tuning the trap system. The trap was giving us such trouble that we let our straw stocks get too low, but hopefully we caught it in time. We're proactively thinning the yak and alpaca herds just in case. The good news is, the trap should be working perfectly now.

The goblins raided twice this season in more numbers than we've seen in a while, and while both were repelled, Mert lost an arm in the first raid. A prosthetic was immediately constructed and Mert is once again bashing stuff with his tower shield.

KitKate

• Good day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 05:54:51 AM »
God this Is awesome. I love the look of that mountain, but sadly my computer struggles with anything above normal maps. Might roll the seed on a normal/small kingdom. Thank you so much for writing these posts! I'd love to get into doing posts like this.
To muffin or not to muffin. That is the Question.

Morokael

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 08:49:42 PM »
Agreed, loving this!

Imponaut

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 07:26:58 AM »
Just binged through all three pages and my heart dropped the 2nd time I saw a monument erected. Stop making your gnomes so likable!

Seriously though, this is fantastic. It's amazing seeing the progression, planning, and execution of it all over time. Well done.

Vineheart01

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »
i dont know whats more amazing. The fact that youre building a cool looking fort that quick, or that you actually survived without losing a gnome every invasion because you didnt get 8+ gnomes the first summer.

Seems like every time i dont do the "Get 20k worth with a merchant sitting there by Summer Day 1, get 8+ gnomads, deconstruct/sell the statues to go back to 5k worth" trick i just get overwhelmed because i dont have adequate defenses without making my production completely stalemate.

And i only play on the normal settings for invasions (i change the ores to abundant/shallow and no zombies, but leave it alone otherwise) so its not like im playing on some crazy difficulty level lol

tomf80

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 04:36:06 PM »
i dont know whats more amazing. The fact that youre building a cool looking fort that quick, or that you actually survived without losing a gnome every invasion because you didnt get 8+ gnomes the first summer.

Seems like every time i dont do the "Get 20k worth with a merchant sitting there by Summer Day 1, get 8+ gnomads, deconstruct/sell the statues to go back to 5k worth" trick i just get overwhelmed because i dont have adequate defenses without making my production completely stalemate.

And i only play on the normal settings for invasions (i change the ores to abundant/shallow and no zombies, but leave it alone otherwise) so its not like im playing on some crazy difficulty level lol

It really depends on play style. If you rush to a high kingdom worth you get more gnomes, but you also probably lose a few more with the escalating goblin strength. However, if you take it slow you can be much safer as your gnomes have time to train, and others to skill up as well, before allowing the goblins to improve their equipment and skills.

I am in year 5 in my current save, I have researched all of the things, and my gnomes have 120+ fighting. And, that isn't the soldiers, that is the part time militia. My enemies have only recently started to come with bronze. My gnomes are equipped with ogre and bear leather and mostly legendary stone weapons. The exception being my dual wielding gunners.

Meanwhile, my armorer has gone through lots of metal and has her armor crafting skill to the mid thirties. The hope is that she will be able to make a set of superior or better armor once we decide to move away from leather.

Notho

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »
No, Godthrone isn't dead, it has simply been slumbering in the depths of my hard drive for the last few months. I literally have not played since my last post, so we'll see if I can remember what I was doing four months ago. Or at least not watch everything explode because I forgot something important! One thing I did remember when I started was that the game is getting a little sluggish with 38 gnomes and the metric ton of stuff they have on hand now. I will see about trying to get rid of some of it as I believe it's contributing to the performance issues I'm experiencing, and may also have been a factor for me setting this project aside for a bit. I also want to get a few more updates in before November, since Fallout 4!

@Vineheart01: Pretty much what tomf80 said. While I do have enemy numbers and strength reduced slightly (as I stated in initial post) I wasn't in any hurry to increase my kingdom worth so some of my starter gnomes could begin military training during the first spring. That way, once summer came, they could easily handle the basic goblins in the rest of the year's raids. I don't build any armor initially as I prefer they get their dodge skills really high before I start them on any weapons. Basically, unarmed Way of the Gnome until about summer of year 2. Armor is nice, but not getting hit at all is better!

@Imponaut, Morokael, and KitKate: Thank you for the kind words!

Winter Year 8:

As fall gave way to the harshness of winter, three gnomads arrived at Godthrone. Spini, Bina, and Nesprosparl were welcomed and given jobs in the fort. A new training squad was also needed and so the Heroic Sunderers was founded to enhance our defenses against the relentless goblin hordes. Several traders were welcomed and we were able to aquire a good amount of iron for our steel projects, and even a little gold for other things. Because of this, we did not need to mine this winter and continued work on the arena instead (which is turning out wonderfully, and no, I'm not showing it until it's done. mwahaha!). Work also began on level four of the fort to provide housing for the new arrivals.

Just when we think the trap system is finally working properly, a new issue crops up. More tinkering was done, but I think the bugs are finally worked out. We'll see in next month's report.

The goblin raid this winter was fairly tense, although not as bad as it could have been. Nesprosparl was cornered by a couple of the fighters (the varmints having stormed in on the heels of a merchant) but a quick response by the military saved her. Her bad luck continued when three mants arrived later and cornered her again, but she was again saved by the army. She has a few scratches, but is otherwise fine.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:23:45 PM by Notho »

Notho

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2015, 10:10:24 AM »
Spring Year 9:

Another winter has passed into spring and it's been business as usual around the fort. No new arrivals this season, sadly. Work continued on finishing out the level three personal quarters and digging out the area on level four. Progress has been slow as excitement builds over the arena project. The goblin raid was dropped neatly into the nearly finished arena where they eventually starved to death. I strongly believe the unveiling ceremony will be happening by the end of next season!