July 20, 2017, 01:42:47 PM

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Patreon Page  (Read 1990 times)

frightlever

• View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Patreon Page
« on: April 30, 2015, 04:12:20 AM »
Just FYI, Toady finally got around to starting a Patreon page.

https://www.patreon.com/bay12games?ty=c

Looking healthy so far but could always do with a little more.

Merry76

• View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Patreon Page
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 11:22:04 AM »
Didnt they already "finance" the game with donations? I am guessing that patreon does get a more steady flow going, so thats always a plus.

I dont play DF, but I do find the idea of supporting bay12games this way very progressive.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Impaler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
Odd, they have always denied any kind of obligation to the downer base for the money received.  But isn't Patreon rather explicitly a being a 'Patron' of something and their is an rather well understood expectation for 'product' to produced from the money, aka it is not just 'charity' towards the artists or a show of appreciation of past work, it is forward looking underwriting.

frightlever

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:12:45 AM »
Odd, they have always denied any kind of obligation to the downer base for the money received.  But isn't Patreon rather explicitly a being a 'Patron' of something and their is an rather well understood expectation for 'product' to produced from the money, aka it is not just 'charity' towards the artists or a show of appreciation of past work, it is forward looking underwriting.

Hey, I remember you! Khazad is still going? Props! Hope it's released one day. Anything playable yet? I'll check the dedicated thread.

Anyhoo, snide comments about the DF playerbase aside, nope you don't need a product on Patreon, you can absolutely just donate to someone because you want to encourage them. It's not like Kickstarter, however Toady is offering the usual drawing/story rewards for Patrons, which I personally think is nuts but I guess Threetoe loves his crayons.

Impaler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 09:35:16 PM »
Ah I didn't realize it was like that, thought it was more like KS, never mind then.