March 24, 2017, 08:55:52 PM

Author Topic: Edge of map spawns  (Read 3840 times)

Kelderek

• View Profile
Edge of map spawns
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:55:18 PM »
I am curious about the rules regarding how enemies, merchants and gnomads can spawn around the edge of the map.

I ask this because I was considering some extreme terraforming projects and was wanting to make sure anything I do along the edges does not prevent those guys from showing up.

1.  Do they only spawn on the 0 depth level?

2.  Is there a minimum amount of tile space needed (either for tiles along the edge or for moving inward)? 

3.  Does an edge connection need to be centered on the map or can it be toward the corners?

4.  Do the edge tiles need to be grass, dirt or clay only or can they be constructed floor tiles?

Faark

• View Profile
Re: Edge of map spawns
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 05:07:38 PM »
1. No
2. No
3. Cell must just be walkable
4. Any walkable cell where they the new one can breath on should do it
When will your gnomes start flooding your kingdom with legendaries? - Check out my mods! - Want to create mods yourself? Here is a early draft of a modding tutorial. Just checking by here infrequently these days, but feel free to PM me!

cyberphenaeri

• All your base are belong to mants
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »
Also note, if the edge of your map consists of just wall tiles (no floor), the Gnomads/Merchants & Invaders will still spawn and will break down a wall tile to do it.  However, they will still be stuck on that tile (where the wall broke) if there is no path from there.

Which makes me wonder..  What if the map edge was all water or lava?

KyoNeko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:15:05 PM »
This makes me curious now, what if you  would just remove floor or build wall without floor all around th eedge of the map.. But leave one space free, would that then mean it will force all entities to spawn in that single space?

cyberphenaeri

• View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 11:22:09 PM »
This makes me curious now, what if you  would just remove floor or build wall without floor all around th eedge of the map.. But leave one space free, would that then mean it will force all entities to spawn in that single space?
Aye, you'd be correct!

Edit: I would also like to say that for some reason (in my games) the merchant and mant spawn seem to happen at exactly the same time every year.. So that one tile that is open will most likely get the merchant killed! (Since they both have no choice but to spawn on top of each other)

KyoNeko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 11:36:18 PM »
Aye, you'd be correct!

Edit: I would also like to say that for some reason (in my games) the merchant and mant spawn seem to happen at exactly the same time every year.. So that one tile that is open will most likely get the merchant killed! (Since they both have no choice but to spawn on top of each other)

Personally i never seen this happen. Yes i dont keep exact watch over my borders to see if the mant scout has spawned, but i usually dont see a mant untill much later. Eiter way that could have been just because i dont pay attencion to such details all that much. I'll keep watch over this and think a bit, at one point in considering using this trick to easyly get enemies into a auto kill trap.. But at the other point thats pretty much playing on peacefull.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:56:46 AM »
Also note, if the edge of your map consists of just wall tiles (no floor), the Gnomads/Merchants & Invaders will still spawn and will break down a wall tile to do it.  However, they will still be stuck on that tile (where the wall broke) if there is no path from there.

I was indeed thinking mainly of having water around the edge, which leads me to another question:

Do all 4 edges need to have an access point or is it sufficient to have a connection on only one edge?

cyberphenaeri

• View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 12:22:03 AM »

I was indeed thinking mainly of having water around the edge, which leads me to another question:

Do all 4 edges need to have an access point or is it sufficient to have a connection on only one edge?
You only need one connection, any edge.

Dodging Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 12:43:42 AM »
Something interesting to note is that hatches are viable tiles to spawn at, even if the hatches are open causing the spawnees to fall through.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 12:04:56 PM »
They don't seem to spawn underground, so I wonder if there is a requirement of having clear sky above the edge tile for it to count.

I had a funny goblin spawn the other day... I had just mined out a moat along the edge of the map that had started to fill in with water from the nearby lake.  It was only about 80% pressure when the goblins spawned on those tiles and then immediately they all drowned, LOL.  After the pressure got up higher they never spawned there again.

KyoNeko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 12:37:02 AM »
Something interesting to note is that hatches are viable tiles to spawn at, even if the hatches are open causing the spawnees to fall through.

Wait.. What? Really? This makes the contraption in my head infinitely easyer to make, now all i need to do is to figure how not to autokill the merchants and gnomads.

CabbageFoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 10:30:29 PM »
I don't get it, so can I moat my outer map edges and then have everything spawn underground? Merchants, Gnomads, and Invaders? Like bears too?!?