March 28, 2017, 01:12:38 AM

Author Topic: Gnomoria v0.9.18 RC42 release  (Read 154052 times)

gcook725

• Check out Glassworks!
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria v0.9.18 RC41 release
« Reply #525 on: September 30, 2015, 04:51:12 PM »
I wasn't able to reproduce the bug with long mining times when changing materials.xml.  I added material Strength to the log so we can see if it's getting read in incorrectly.

For what it's worth, neither could I. I've been trying because a guy messaged me on Reddit saying it's the first thing he noticed in EspEcon.

And again, I couldn't either. However, you can experience the bug if you install Glassworks from the link in my signature and download this world file from the Gnomoria public dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8eeuxr27zytetop/miningexperimentwith.sav?dl=0

I couldn't figure out exactly the cause since if you remove the mining designation and then redesignate it then mining goes perfectly fine... but until that point you can see just how slow it is at the very least.

Check out my first mod: Glassworks!
It has windows!
Also, check out my Twitter!

espoire

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 30, 2015, 05:37:20 PM »
if you remove the mining designation and then redesignate it

Hmm, that's odd. I wonder if this is at all related to the bucket/bag/wheelbarrow bug where they'll attempt to collect items with a full hauling tool and stand there until they get tired? That, too, works fine if you cancel the order.

espoire

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 30, 2015, 09:43:33 PM »
That RC41 altered that "crash on stock job" bug I'm hitting. It now crashes on the second stock job after loading instead of the first.

gcook725

• Check out Glassworks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 30, 2015, 10:46:07 PM »
That RC41 altered that "crash on stock job" bug I'm hitting. It now crashes on the second stock job after loading instead of the first.

I had a similar crash with hauling involving piles not being defined properly. I can't remember what caused it exactly, but it's a pain in the butt to define new hauling containers because it requires code in 3 or 4 different places.

Have you modified storage.xml or itemsettings.xml at all?

It has windows!

espoire

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 30, 2015, 11:26:10 PM »

No, the only thing I can think might have done it is I made vendors sell bags/crates/barrels/sacks/wheelbarrows/buckets. Maybe the vendor-sold ones aren't initialized properly, and saving them from that state puts them in an even worse state? That IS consistent with when the issue showed up (first reload after first purchase of containers).

gcook725

• Check out Glassworks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 01, 2015, 12:01:20 AM »

No, the only thing I can think might have done it is I made vendors sell bags/crates/barrels/sacks/wheelbarrows/buckets. Maybe the vendor-sold ones aren't initialized properly, and saving them from that state puts them in an even worse state? That IS consistent with when the issue showed up (first reload after first purchase of containers).

Give it a test and let me know!

I figured it probably wouldn't be exactly the same issue as mine since mine was an "Index was out the bounds of the array" type of crash instead of the "Object reference" type. What I've found for Object references is that usually something was misspelled somewhere somehow of I used the wrong ID (Calling something a GlassWindow instead of GlassPane, for example), though it hasn't ALWAYS been the case.

It has windows!

Bukinnear

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 01, 2015, 12:07:40 AM »
:O Linux Support?! I love you robobob!

espoire

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 01, 2015, 02:16:30 AM »
What I've found for Object references is that usually something was misspelled somewhere somehow

I don't make that type of mistake (it's my superpower!) As far as I can tell, I had no such mistakes in the ~14k lines of XML I wrote. I had to deliberately introduce one to see what would happen cause I thought they were just being ignored or something.

In all seriousness though, in the event of a bad ItemID - regarding shop stocks, anyway - it will crash on load. The game appears to populate the items friendly civs would offer if you send a merchant to visit the friendly civ as soon as you discover a civilization. That happens on world creation for the first Merchant City-State. Thus, I'm reasonably confident that this crash isn't due to a bad ItemID. Still working on testing it... getting a new world up to being able to host merchants takes like 3 hours. =|

Wish I had a faster way to test it. x4 or x8 game speed buttons, RoboB0b? Or the ability to mod friendly/goblin civilizations' distance? Cause 1 hour for the ambassador and then 1 hour for a merchant wouldn't be too bad.

espoire

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 01, 2015, 02:48:06 AM »
I observed a gnome treating a piece of raw cotton as if it were a container of some sort. He piled 16 other raw cotton onto the same tile of a stockpile. It now has:

Code: [Select]
cotton
wool sack
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton
cotton

I think saving during this erroneous stock job might result in the crash-on-new-stock-job bug. Unfortunately, I caught it too late to confirm this. Either way, this gnome behavior is clearly incorrect.

Edit: It happened again. I save/reloaded. No effect. Same tile. The gnomes waited to overstock this tile until it was down to the one cotton that started it all.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:19:00 AM by espoire »

espoire

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 01, 2015, 03:31:54 AM »
Confirmed. Vendor-sold containers reliably crash the game. Buy one, build it into a stockpile, wait for five varieties of fail.

espoire

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 01, 2015, 03:35:52 AM »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxEwgbUXEzALQURsYkpSckcyUE0/view?usp=sharing

That (EspEcon) world file is saved right before the vendor-sold-container bug. To reproduce, buy the crate(s) from the market stall. Order the gnomes to build them at the log stockpile.

Inspecting the crate details after it has been built, opening the stockpile details, a gnome stocking into it, etc. will all crash the game.

-----

I can confirm that both Crates and Bags cause this issue. I strongly suspect Barrels would, too. I'm unsure if wheelbarrows/sacks/buckets would.

-----

If I may suggest: would it be possible to make vendor inventories behave in a manner similar to the Container/ItemToGenerate tags in newgamesettings.xml? Vendors are also crashing the game if you don't specify a material for a TradeGood, and I notice the newgame stuff picks an appropriate material automatically.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:43:02 AM by espoire »

gcook725

• Check out Glassworks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 01, 2015, 09:28:12 AM »
@espiore: Okay, fist thing I'm gonna mention is how to test something faster, in your case setting up for merchants. I'm sure your issue is in building rooms for the merchants and building up enough KW to attract them right? newgamesettings.xml allows you to to designate a bunch of stuff at start. Let's you start out with a ton of steel ingots and statues to make ambassadors  and drive up your KW to attract more. To my knowledge you could also start with odd items with the material of steel as well, like beds and tables. Just remove the added stuff later.

Second thing is that I'm not sure what causes that particular crash. That is some really strange behavior that I would assume to be related to storage.XML or one of the pile definitions, but you said you haven't messed with either of them.

It has windows!

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
« Reply #537 on: October 01, 2015, 09:46:50 AM »
I wasn't able to reproduce the bug with long mining times when changing materials.xml.  I added material Strength to the log so we can see if it's getting read in incorrectly.

For what it's worth, neither could I. I've been trying because a guy messaged me on Reddit saying it's the first thing he noticed in EspEcon.

And again, I couldn't either. However, you can experience the bug if you install Glassworks from the link in my signature and download this world file from the Gnomoria public dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8eeuxr27zytetop/miningexperimentwith.sav?dl=0

I couldn't figure out exactly the cause since if you remove the mining designation and then redesignate it then mining goes perfectly fine... but until that point you can see just how slow it is at the very least.

In that save the mining jobs had their difficulty 10x normal (it's based on the material strength of the wall being mined).  Like you said, canceling and remaking the job fixed it.  When loading they are 14 and are 1.4 after remaking the job.  I can't tell how they got to be 14 at all.

gcook725

• Check out Glassworks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 01, 2015, 10:46:14 AM »

In that save the mining jobs had their difficulty 10x normal (it's based on the material strength of the wall being mined).  Like you said, canceling and remaking the job fixed it.  When loading they are 14 and are 1.4 after remaking the job.  I can't tell how they got to be 14 at all.

Well, that at least explains what caused that issue... now what causes the issue that causes the issue?! I would hazard a guess that Gnomoria is acting weird on some people's computers and accidentally multiplying strength values by 10 or not saving the variable properly on their systems by saving it as an int variable instead of a float or double variable. Perhaps an issue with updating frameworks? A hardware issue?

It has windows!

espoire

• View Profile
Re: Gnomoria v0.9.18 RC42 release
« Reply #539 on: October 01, 2015, 03:38:35 PM »
RC42
Fixed
  • Storage containers generated from a merchant trade not working properly
  • Fixed crash generating merchant goods when no material was set

Huzzah! Thanks for the prompt fixes!