August 22, 2017, 12:17:07 AM

Author Topic: Gnomoria v0.9.17 release  (Read 27757 times)

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
Gnomoria v0.9.17 release
« on: February 18, 2015, 10:46:34 AM »
General
  • Added automatons
    • Researched after prosthetic limbs
    • Crafted at Engineer Shop
    • Requires a golem core to craft. Golem cores have a chance of spawning when golems are killed
    • Body part materials are determined by the materials of components used
    • Can be repaired at an Engineer Shop using armor plates
    • Die when core or fuel tank is destroyed in combat
    • Automatons dismantle on death.  If the core is still intact it can be used to recraft the automaton with a penalty to skills
    • Can perform jobs and be on squads
    • Can't equip weapons or armor
    • Requires coal to run.  Gnomes will add coal when empty otherwise automatons refuel themselves.  They don't eat/drink/sleep

• Reduced minimum stocks before golems spawn from 1000 to 500 (250 for bars)
  • Added straw to golem spawns (wheat golems)
  • Added manual population cap setting to population overview.  A value of 0 has no cap (the default is no cap)
  • Some resources are consumed when creating a golem core.  Dirt, clay and stone golems will generate metal slivers, similar to prospecting, if no golem core is created

Merry76

• View Profile
Re: Gnomoria v0.9.17 release
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 11:11:31 AM »
Its here everyone!

Some pointers from game testing (if you cant be arsed to read through some 12 pages of indev thread):

Automatons are hardcore Punchbots, if you train them a bit
Automatons, if used for combat purposes are EXPENSIVE. They require repairs for every kink they get, and they get kinks easily. Keep an eye on your steel stocks, and stop sending them to battle if you cant afford it.
Dont rely on them as Punchbots. They are awesome, but if you run into "more repair costs than you can replace" your kingdom will fail.
Straw spawns golems. Clean up those fields! Seriously. Straw golems are super weak, but you dont want to loose lifestock or a farmer to them, nevertheless. You also dont want to send your army to the fields when mants or goblins attack.
Prostetics are the New Best Thing. Seriously. Attach them to your favourite gnomes as soon as possible. Replace them with the material you like, because you can. Its generally advised not to make your gnomes colour coded by sending them into battle with armour parts deliberately missing and then attaching them the limbs in the colour of your choice. Not advised, but still awesome.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

zenatsu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:55:34 AM »
New challenge:

Run a kingdom purely made of automatons.

majorgetsome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:56:45 AM »
New new challenge:

Run a kingdom purely made of automatons, only from the metal scraps off the goblins.

Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 12:09:08 PM »
New new challenge:

Run a kingdom purely made of automatons, only from the metal scraps off the goblins.

Reminds me of the scene from Iron Man, "Fizzle was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps!"
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specified as such.

Rephath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 12:27:51 PM »
Reminds me of the scene from Iron Man, "Fizzle was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps!"

"Well I'm not Fizzle. My curiosity is only 117 and I have only a few points in tinkering."

Bukinnear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 03:35:51 PM »
Seems the best use for these guys is to use them as general workers and replace all of your builders/miners/farmers/ranchers, and instead set all of them as soldiers.

Keep a few workshop gnomes for production and enlist the rest

Lord Bellom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 05:20:39 PM »
Some of my best kingdoms have golems turned off. Will there be a way I can still make automations or get cores without having opted in for golems. Or is / will there be a way we can edit these decisions later into the game?

p24t

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 05:46:42 PM »
New challenge:

Run a kingdom purely made of automatons.

Currently in year 39.  I think I had the bots take over somewhere around year 20 or so.  Didn't have the patience to do it with goblin scraps :) mostly cause I wanted my automatons to have cores made of the same metals.  Waited so long for 'judgement day' because I wanted to have my punchbots ready and skilled up.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:48:20 PM by p24t »

Tacit_Exit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 10:20:44 PM »
Are there any bugfixes associated with this release?

Mostly interested in whether the 'ghost item' bug still exists.

http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=7594.0

original182

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 11:18:20 PM »
Its here everyone!

Some pointers from game testing (if you cant be arsed to read through some 12 pages of indev thread):

Automatons are hardcore Punchbots, if you train them a bit
Automatons, if used for combat purposes are EXPENSIVE. They require repairs for every kink they get, and they get kinks easily. Keep an eye on your steel stocks, and stop sending them to battle if you cant afford it.
Dont rely on them as Punchbots. They are awesome, but if you run into "more repair costs than you can replace" your kingdom will fail.
Straw spawns golems. Clean up those fields! Seriously. Straw golems are super weak, but you dont want to loose lifestock or a farmer to them, nevertheless. You also dont want to send your army to the fields when mants or goblins attack.
Prostetics are the New Best Thing. Seriously. Attach them to your favourite gnomes as soon as possible. Replace them with the material you like, because you can. Its generally advised not to make your gnomes colour coded by sending them into battle with armour parts deliberately missing and then attaching them the limbs in the colour of your choice. Not advised, but still awesome.

1. Are their abilities trained like gnomes?
1.1 Is the growth rate of stats the same as gnomes?
1.2 What do different materials affect? e.g., Copper vs Steel automaton?

2. Do automatons need to be repaired if all they did was tend the farm and never get damaged?

3. Are prosthetics just aesthetic affect, as in a copper prosthetic arm is just a brown arm? Or do they affect skills?

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 09:00:32 AM »
1. Are their abilities trained like gnomes?
1.1 Is the growth rate of stats the same as gnomes?
1.2 What do different materials affect? e.g., Copper vs Steel automaton?

2. Do automatons need to be repaired if all they did was tend the farm and never get damaged?

3. Are prosthetics just aesthetic affect, as in a copper prosthetic arm is just a brown arm? Or do they affect skills?

1. Yes. They start out with generally more fitness and WAY less nimbleness than gnomes. This makes them not really good at being monks (punchbots) but they get over it because of 1.1
1.1 About the same. I got a full squad of them, and got them combat ready in about 2 years time (120+ Fighting skill). Sounds about the same to me.
1.2 The material they are made of gives the resistance to damage, similar to armour. Gold Automatons may look pretty, but they arent useful for combat. A gold autmaton jeweller can do his job just as well as a steel one though.

2. Non combat damage does not exist yet. Not for gnomes (hit yourself with your axe again, Fumble?), and not for autmatons.

3. Prostetics are the same as "natural" limbs when it comes to skill (which is a bit overpowered... but ok with the fluff, I guess). As with the automatons, gold limbs dont really hold up well in combat, and may be damaged/destroyed quickly. You can however replace them, should you craft better gear. The medic/mechanic (I do think he needs both tasks active to do replacements, but have not tested it out because my engineer is also my doctor) will choose better mechanical limbs for the gnome if better are available - and re-attach them right away.

How to share Savegames

Evermourn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 02:13:16 AM »
I'm enjoying the automatons, but one thing I don't like is that they seem to count against your population score.  This takes away the fun of trying to  build up kingdom worth and hoping for immigrants at the beginning of each season, I was surprised how much fun this sucks out of the game.  Could it be set so that automatons don't count as people? After all they are just tools.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 08:48:33 AM »
I'm enjoying the automatons, but one thing I don't like is that they seem to count against your population score.  This takes away the fun of trying to  build up kingdom worth and hoping for immigrants at the beginning of each season, I was surprised how much fun this sucks out of the game.  Could it be set so that automatons don't count as people? After all they are just tools.

That was brought up in the indev forums. Automatons are NOT just tools. They are self learning, self replicating metal beings.

Fluff aside: if you overbuild automatons, and you get them too damaged (because they suck at not being damaged in combat), they can lead you to a fail state of your kingdom! The reason is because your automatons prevent gnome immigrants, and if your fleshies die you need to rely even harder on automatons, which keeps immigrants away... A spiral down to madness and a lot of broken automatons.

Also, if you de-couple them from the pop cap, you could basically build hundreds of the things. Not helpful for the balance of the kingdom. There where ideas thrown up to bind the amount of automatons to the skill of your engineers, but automatons can be engineers (at least until now...)... Word of God has it that there is no Word of God for anything like that. We kind of have to rely on it that the automaton pop cap handling is going to stay.

How to share Savegames

GMillar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 01:08:16 AM »
Also, I believe the main reason for limited pop is still pathing performance, and automatons are the same as gnomes in that respect.