December 15, 2017, 12:11:14 AM

Author Topic: Talking with RoboBOb  (Read 2946 times)

ohz

• View Profile
Talking with RoboBOb
« on: January 13, 2015, 08:55:23 AM »
Hey guys,

I would like a place where you can directly ask questions to the dev, and let him communicate about his plans and his dreams.
When I look of the huge suggestions forum, see the regular releases, and love this game very much, not buggy, well working and quite big/time consuming, I see a lot of potential. I personnally played only 200 hours, 3 or 4 kingdoms, and I still didn't reach the Iron Age, having lot of fun, and still have lot of experiences to make.

I cannot realize how much work is needed to build this game. It should be very interesting to discover, I believe, the story of RoboBOb, and how long it will keep programming, in this world where so many games die in alpha, even sold at 20$ lol.

Just a thought, and I don't want to spam the posts where he usually answer.

Ohz.
- Sorry for my english, I'm french ^^

Aynslei

• View Profile
Re: Talking with RoboBOb
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »
I like the idea but I also don't think there is anything stopping us from just sending him a pm or an email. (Apart from being spammy and rude)
First questions I would ask.

Are you happy with where Gnomoria is at now?

The top of a mechanical wall can rest directly under the screw of a pump, but a hatch can not why is this?

I have beetles in two worlds that have just stopped doing anything how can I fix this?

Edit: Double negative removed
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:43:45 PM by Aynslei »
RoboB0b has permission to use anything I post for any reason.
Feel free to contact me about any questions you have.
Wisdom and Knowledge are the most sacred things.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 01:20:54 PM »
I like the idea but I also don't think there is nothing stopping us from just sending him a pm or an email.

Please dont do that. Not that I do have any meaning to stop you from it, but I generally think its pretty rude to flood the poor guy with PM's or emails - and taking up his time this way (even if he choses to ignore your questions, it will still take time away from his actual work). If one or two do this, its not a big deal. But if 20 people do this, its a chatroom instead of an email address. Think of the consequences.

But ask away on the forums, if you must know. I cant guarantee any replies (RoboB0b doesnt post all that often... probably the same reasons - more posting means less code being done), but at least we can all read the replies if there should be any.

I know however that he really dislikes to promise features because he then feels obliged to make them come true - This is the reason why the dev plan is a recent thing. Its a work ethic thing: Dont promise what you cant be sure you can actually accomplish. I can rally behind that.

That being said, carry on. And again, please dont spam him. Thank you for that.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Aynslei

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 01:53:14 PM »
Yeah went ahead and edit my post to add in the whole don't spam bit, I sure wouldn't want spam coming my way. (Also fixed an English error)
I personally dropped my questions here just so I wouldn't need to bother with a message. (Where I think the most reasonable place for them is since a reply here is public)
Also I am sure if everyone is reasonable and respectful there should be no problems crop up.

Edit: Furthur question, there is an IRC how active is this?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:44:51 PM by Aynslei »

bvierra

• No matter where I am, you can find me there.
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria Wiki
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 07:10:37 AM »
the IRC is usually pretty dead... I idle in there and reply when I see someone however :)
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat
Feature Requests | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specifically specified as such

zenatsu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:47:40 PM »
and let him communicate about his plans and his dreams.

He already did that.

http://gnomoria.com/developer-plan/

As far as directly talking to Robo, good luck. as merry said, he barely replies to the forums. Mostly after he announces a release he'll stay in there for a bit, after that he returns to his cave and becomes a code monkey.

Epi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 02:54:25 AM »
How about a special threat where we ask questions for RoboBob and moderators choose 2 of them every week and email them to Bob?

Tacyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 03:09:30 AM »
A monthly QA would be nice.
People who also play Dwarf fortress might know the "Future of the Fortress" tread.

Aynslei

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »
Lets also all keep in mind that the guy has a family he needs to keep time open for.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »
How about a special threat where we ask questions for RoboBob and moderators choose 2 of them every week and email them to Bob?

He had that for a while, even before I found the game... But then the ideas kept flowing, and so many cool things came up that he realised that he will never be able to implement everything. So it kind of died down. If you go forum diving with a really long snorkel, you will find the thread (dont necro it though, thanks. Just read it and enjoy, and marvel at what then was future ideas, far away - now become present and implemented).

That being said, I stand by my point not to pester RoboB0b for more interaction. He should be free to communicate as much as he wants or needs to. Sure, more regular interactions will always be welcome - but remember he isnt married to gnomoria (or us), but to his wife :) So its a priority thing :)
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames