September 02, 2014, 07:03:05 PM

Author Topic: "Play To Win" Contest: Construction  (Read 11342 times)

Girlinhat

• View Profile
"Play To Win" Contest: Construction
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »
Girlinhat:
I have been generously given 10 keys to Gnomoria by RoboB0b to give away.  I have stolen them and constructed them into a gilded throne!  I have decided to do a give away.  But I'm not just giving them away.  You're earning them!  It's simple, don't worry.  The contest is to see who can build the most impressive construction in the time the demo gives.  This can be a functioning fortress with bedrooms and great hall and sun garden, or it can be an impractical statue, pixel-art, or just a really weird construction, with lots of like, arches and towers and whatever.  The Gnomoria community will then vote on who's the best, because I cannot be trusted to make important decisions!

Some tips for new players:
*You start out with enough food to survive 6 days.  You do not need to worry about farms and drink production during the demo.  You may focus entirely on construction.
*Mining and Woodcutting requires a pickaxe and a felling axe, respectively.  You begin with two each.  However, the "Miner" profession also includes stonecutting for blocks, and the "Woodworker" profession also includes carpentry for planks.  If you open the "Population" tab at the top, and "Professions" you can change them all so that every profession includes stonecutting, carpentry, and building.  This way even if your miners are busy underground, your other gnomes will still be busy cutting blocks and building walls.
*You need to build a floor on top of a wall before you can build another wall upwards.
*The world is +25 levels above ground.  Don't go too high!

Some notes about the contest:
*Construction is the theme, but realistic construction is heavily encouraged.  Projects that include farmland, pastures, bedrooms, and workshop areas should be considered more heavily than a large decorative statue.
*Entries will only be accepted via the Gnomoria forums.  After all, this is an attempt to get more people interested in the game, so come here to get more traffic on the site!
*Participants are limited to one entry each, though you may build as many as you want, only one will be considered for voting.

A few links:
Site: http://gnomoria.com/
Direct Demo Link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/Gnomoria/GnomoriaDemoSetup.exe
FAQ: http://gnomoria.com/?page_id=17
Forum: http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php
This Contest Thread: http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=718.0

And for anyone interested in buying the game, it's available via Desura and BTM Micro.  Desura is similar to Steam, but made for developers and alpha projects.  It allows players to update by clicking the small update button beside the game in the list.  However it can take a day or two for them to authorize an update, so the impatient will get fidgety.  BTM Micro has no game library or anything, and when you purchase it from them you receive an email with a link to the download.  If you want to update your game, you need the original email saved so that you can re-download.  It's very frustrating sometimes to find that old email.  Desura is much easier.

PLEASE copy this message and repost it somewhere else!  You may take the whole post, or edit it for length as needed, but try to be as complete as possible and spread the word as far as possible.  If you think there's any forum or community that might enjoy this game, or any personal friends you want to harass with amazing games, then share the love!  Getting exposure for an indie title is the best way you can help development!  (Or, y'know, you can buy the game as well :D)

DrDagashi

• View Profile
    • Gnomoria Forums!
Re: "Play To Win" Contest: Construction
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »
What an amazing 300th post, congrats!
And you're far less shady then the last guy.. ;)

I'm sure this, and other means will bring a, or even the, croud over to Gnomoria!

stunja

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:51:30 AM »
Hello,contest is already begin?
Can i show my construction?
Progress always...and fun of course:D

Girlinhat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 12:06:35 PM »
I can't imagine what you constructed in 2 hours, but sure go ahead.

stunja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:04:44 PM »
White nest.
When I start had some problem with workers,and the map. many mountains n a small amount of clean areas.
Creating a nest,after 3 try.
In first game,my man's died,a lot of them,alive was only 2 gnomes,sad,but i don't now why!. :D. Some mysterious event. :DD.
Next big problem was to find a lot of white wood.On day 5 i chop all this trees on the map.
And the last problem was,lagging after starting clearing floor.Wow,nice,Slideshow.
In constructions take place only 1 wood worker,and a lot of builder.I mean the rest was builders.

....And you can see on picture i not finish the work. Time...hah...

P.S. In my opinion for contest,would be cool add picture with ending of demo.
>>You complete the training and you some kind of tough guy))

Thx for watching

Meu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 03:03:26 PM »
I've played through several 6 gnome day maps. So far nothing too cool, but am excited from reading through some of these threads and beginning to delve into the wiki. I'm a big Minecraft player so I love the building aspect of Gnomoria and I love city builder/planner games. Gnomoria combines both so this has just been super exciting for me. I'll edit my post later for the contest if I can come up with anything cool! Probably won't be able to play any more tonight though, will drop in tomorrow, hope to see some more submissions then!

Edit 2012-7-03
As excited as I was/am about this contest, I am not going to participate in this one as real life stuffs have come up. Good luck to everyone else!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:26:57 PM by Meu »

bew1977

• Master Yak Herdsmen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 03:14:30 PM »
If you are wanting fast construction, Wood is the way to go.  Giving myself until noon on the 6th day, with everyone a builder/stonecutter/mason hybrid sans my miners this is all I could do:

If you work with stone, it's going to be VERY small.  EDIT: I own the game, this was just a couple notes for people doing the contest.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:36:52 AM by bew1977 »

zespri

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 03:37:03 PM »
And for anyone interested in buying the game, it's available via Desura and BTM Micro.  Desura is similar to Steam, but made for developers and alpha projects.  It allows players to update by clicking the small update button beside the game in the list.  However it can take a day or two for them to authorize an update, so the impatient will get fidgety.  BTM Micro has no game library or anything, and when you purchase it from them you receive an email with a link to the download.
It's called BMT Micro, not BTM Micro.

DrDagashi

• View Profile
    • Gnomoria Forums!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 03:41:05 PM »
And for anyone interested in buying the game, it's available via Desura and BTM Micro.  Desura is similar to Steam, but made for developers and alpha projects.  It allows players to update by clicking the small update button beside the game in the list.  However it can take a day or two for them to authorize an update, so the impatient will get fidgety.  BTM Micro has no game library or anything, and when you purchase it from them you receive an email with a link to the download.
It's called BMT Micro, not BTM Micro.
If even you were able to divulge this secret encrypted message, I'm sure others will also get it...

DrDagashi

• View Profile
    • Gnomoria Forums!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 03:42:20 PM »
We do need a deadline for this contest, or a winner per week (would still include deadlines though).

Girlinhat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 04:25:02 PM »
Right now I'm just playing it by ear.  We'll see how many people start going for it and if it maintains popularity for any length of time.

DrDagashi

• View Profile
    • Gnomoria Forums!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 04:53:33 PM »
Have fun!

GreatWyrmGold

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »
Sweet. I'll enter once I get a hang of te game...probably won't bve playing until Tuesday...also have some DF stuff to do...
By the end of the week after next, I should have something to show. Unless I discover that something renders Gnomoria unplayable for me, in which case I'll let people here and on my "Describing Gm" thread know before I abandon this forum. I don't expect that to happen, though.

Blxz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 09:13:54 PM »
Well, you wanted forum goer's to vote. I have to say that the entries so far are definitely in the top 2 so far.  :D
The nice white fort is my favourite since I have a thing for wood and the birch is my favourite. I don't get why there are 2 brown wood logs there though? It break the immersion.

Having said that, the nice solid stone fort with statues and an interesting colour scheme built over water is definitely nice looking and shows a lot of work beyond just 'cut trees' and 'build wall'. The slight teching to statues is ambitious and nice.

Of course we need more to compare.

stunja

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 02:27:48 AM »
I like bew1977' work,it's very small but looking good.Blue stone looks awesome.
And i agree with him that if you want build fast and big,wood is your choice. Creating stone building take a lot of time.
Yesterday try to recreate castle from the black stone,waste a lot of time to find it.

Waiting for other works,very enjoy to see,how the human imagination works.:D

P.S. when i beginning where was no water near nest,n i connected water by digging holes....very cool.Like in minecraft
P.S.S. about two brown block,honesty i have no idea,some deep voice sad me that it would be right,i guess it was my stomach.:D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 02:30:39 AM by stunja »