October 23, 2014, 01:34:08 PM

Author Topic: Change from Peaceful to Normal (Difficulty change) IN game  (Read 16701 times)

VladSnakeDragon

• View Profile
Change from Peaceful to Normal (Difficulty change) IN game
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:10:48 AM »
Just thought it would be a bit nifty to be able to change the difficulty within game, after a map generates. Although you could say it's cheating... look at games like Minecraft, or any other game. Majority allow you to turn down the difficulty, or turn it up again when you feel you can handle it.

Once again, just a thought, but it would be nice to do it for some of us who want to build up armies

Logikless

• View Profile
Re: Change from Peaceful to Normal (Difficulty change) IN game
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »
I agree. I'd like to be able to play on easy for a few seasons, and when I feel goblins and golems won't ruin my work I'd like to change it to normal.

Blxz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »
While I don't think I would ever use it I find myself supportive of this idea since more options are always good.

Xinvoker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:13:19 AM »
Last time it was discussed, most agreed that yes it would be cheating.
Perhaps an option to turn an easy mode world to normal, but just once, irrevocably.

VladSnakeDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »
Perhaps an option to turn an easy mode world to normal, but just once, irrevocably.

Ok, it's cheating... your point?
Aren't cheats in SP games effectively made to either bring enjoyment to those who can't play properly, or to add a bit of extra flavor or ease who do want it?
If a player wants to cheat, let him, as long as it's only in Single Player.

Blindsight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 10:38:45 AM »
But the 'cheating' can ruin the general view of the game in the community, media etc.

Being able to say I finished a Mario game doesn't mean anything if people know you can turn off the enemies when you want to. While I realize it's a sandbox game, blurring the line between peaceful and normal really devalues the normal mode IMO.

Logikless

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:44:59 AM »
If changing the game mode is thought to be cheating, then have the game mark the dates the game mode was changed. And make it so monsters don't just vanish if you set peaceful, but instead won't spawn again till it is changed back to normal.

Blindsight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 10:51:47 AM »
I think it's less about an individual 'cheating' than it is about the integrity of the game. I doubt people are running around sharing their worlds saying "I got this far", and there are no high scores or anything so denoting that you moved from normal to peaceful is simply moot.

For me it's the ability to tell stories. It's one thing to say 'I made this epic X in peaceful mode' but it's (arguably) more impactful/impressive to say you achieved something on normal. Not being able to differentiate between the two due to switching whenever needed removes the sense of validity of a normal playthrough.

Of course there are tactics to do the 'cheaty' peaceful mode on normal still...but if you are going to complain about those the argument about the ability to turn on peaceful mode during the game is pointless.

bvierra

• No matter where I am, you can find me there.
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria Wiki
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »
I was thinking about this last night, while I think it would be nice to be able to go from easy -> normal, I absolutely do not think the opposite should be allowed. I also think it should say on the kingdom screen

Day 4, Season 3, Year 2
Difficulty: Normal (Change 24 days ago)
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat
Feature Requests | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specifically specified as such

Xinvoker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »

Ok, it's cheating... your point?
Aren't cheats in SP games effectively made to either bring enjoyment to those who can't play properly, or to add a bit of extra flavor or ease who do want it?
If a player wants to cheat, let him, as long as it's only in Single Player.
My concern is players who don't want to cheat, but lack the willpower to resist the temptation.

When saving hours worth of playing is just 1 click away, people will be tempted to do it, "just this once".
And this ruins the challenge.

There is a reason we can only have 1 save, and this is that losing is a real danger if you mess up. It's a design choice.

Anyway, if there are a lot of people who want the ability to do this, maybe the game should have a "casual" and a "roguelike" mode instead.

Blindsight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »
Anyway, if there are a lot of people who want the ability to do this, maybe the game should have a "casual" and a "roguelike" mode instead.

How is that different from peaceful/normal? Then people would just want to change between those!

Perhaps just allow peaceful to turn on and off enemies, but never switch to normal?

Xinvoker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »

How is that different from peaceful/normal? Then people would just want to change between those!

Perhaps just allow peaceful to turn on and off enemies, but never switch to normal?
No I'm not just renaming easy, I meant that "casual" could be either easy or normal, and you can switch between the 2, maybe even allow multiple saves.
In short, this is the "let me have options" mode. You have access to the light switch.

Roguelike mode would be the game like it is today, 1 save, enemies always on.
In short, this is the "I want the full challenge" mode. Lights always on.

There is no reason to switch between the 2, because casual would include everything roguelike has, if you activate them.

sandwiches

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »
This is a stupid discussion. If I want to cheat in my single player game, for ANY REASON and at ANY TIME, I should be able to. I don't understand how people can be against the OPTION to be able to cheat. You don't want to cheat? Then don't. Simple.

There's a saying in Mexico: "Hasta lo que no comes te enferma." It translates into "Even what others eat make you sick." It makes fun of people who seem to be bothered by things that have no effect on them whatsoever, such as the case here.

DrDagashi

• View Profile
    • Gnomoria Forums!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »
Difficulty should be set at the creation of a world.
What would your accomplishments mean if it was done during peaceful?
What I'm trying to say is you should be able to compare kingdoms, but when you've done most in peaceful...
Actually I don't really care, I just feel there should be a watermark on every screenshot coming out of a peaceful kingdom stating: ''Purely Recreational''.
Or something like that.

They're two different things, you're splitting Gnomoria into just building or the full game.
Should be your choose, but it should also be final.

Read this topic, found on this very forum: http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=655.0

Two cents! Here they are.

Lanfeardk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »
I mentioned this in a post earlier, but can't see a reason not to show my support here as well. It's nice to be able to play it easy once in a while and decide when you're ready to sacrifice it all for glory :) So I agree