November 22, 2017, 12:30:03 PM

Author Topic: Gnomoria v0.9.15 RC15 released  (Read 74933 times)

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
Gnomoria v0.9.15 RC15 released
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:05:32 PM »
v0.9.15 RC15
Fixed
  • Crash on loading game in rare situation where enemies left the map while in combat with gnomes
  • Changed gnome behavior to not attempt to not attempt to do anything while falling.  This solves some issues with dropping pickaxes after digging down
v0.9.15 RC14
Fixed
  • Crash when digging ramps down
v0.9.15 RC13
Fixed
  • Items disappearing from the game cascasing into a few other issues
  • Stock jobs sometimes not finishing properly and leaving unfinished jobs that gnomes ignore
  • Minor issue coordinating stocking items into the same container between multiple gnomes
v0.9.15 RC12
Fixed
  • Crash when stocking under rare conditions
  • Stock jobs sometimes getting stuck and not completing
v0.9.15 RC11
Fixed
  • Crash when viewing stockpiles under some conditions
  • Blank items that show up on viewing a cell
v0.9.15 RC10
Fixed
  • Crash when trying to Clean Floor
  • Crash when loading causing the load screen to never finish
v0.9.15 RC9
Fixed
  • Straw, silica and ammo not always stocking
  • Items in piles sometimes disappearing
  • Gnomes sometimes not using the best pile to transport items
v0.9.15 RC8
General
  • Added an option on the Smelter to automatically smelt worn items
Fixed
  • Clean Floor only hauling items that can be piled 1 at a time
v0.9.15 RC7
Fixed
  • Fixed items in piles sometimes showing up on the map
  • Gnomes will now correctly attempt to consolidate items in piles in a stockpile into existing piles to free up space
v0.9.15 RC6
Fixed
  • Crash when generating a stock job with "piles" when there are more items than space in the stockpile
v0.9.15 RC5
Fixed
  • Crash dumping all items at once out of a wheelbarrow/sack/bucket
v0.9.15 RC4
Fixed
  • Pushing/pulling "piles" between stockpiles
v0.9.15 RC3
Fixed
  • Clean Floor stocking "piles" into any stockpile
  • Jobs that require items in piles not completing
v0.9.15 RC2
General
  • Gnomes now use items that can be piled (dirt, stone, straw, etc) to pick up similar items while stocking
v0.9.15 RC1
General
  • Stockpile UI is now resizable.  Size and position are preserved across play sessions like other resizable windows
  • Added a restock threshold setting to each stockpile
    • Stockpile automatically suspends itself when full and unsuspends when there are the same or more number of spaces available as the threshold
    • Manually turning suspend on or off will override any automated behavior
Fixed
  • Visual artifacts with some sprites
I'm testing out this method of threshold to see what changes need to be made if any.  Manually checking or unchecking Suspend takes precedence, meaning if you Suspend the stockpile and later there are more spaces than the threshold, it will not automatically unsuspend.  It only automatically unsuspends if it suspended itself when it was full.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:48:40 PM by RoboB0b »

Razekh

• View Profile
Re: Gnomoria v0.9.15 RC1 released
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
Awesome update Rob, it will eliminate a lot of small hauling jobs and should make things a bit more efficient. However, some issues.

Completely suspending the workshop can mean that gnomes start idling when there could be cleaning up unstocked goods. I don't mind them idling instead of shifting items between stockpiles, but cleaning floors could be more important. Easiest workaround though is having a large, low priority stockpile, so it's not a big issue.

There will still be a lot of small hauling jobs generated for cleaning workshops. I think the best way to deal with this is to have a setting in the workshop where it is set to push items to a specific stockpile. If space is available, then the craftsgnome will be responsible for taking crafted items to that stockpile. This hauling job should be generated from the workshop and be independent of stockpile priority. He will keep the workshop clean and take pressure off your haulers, and if this stockpile is close by, it won't take him much time. You can then use push to shift items to a more permanent stockpile. This could also be controllable by threshrolds to avoid excessive cleaning of interemediary crafts.

There may also be a need for minimum thresholds as well, with regards to pushing. Pushing is suspended when a stockpile is empty and when it is full, or above a threshold, it resumes. Complete suspension wouldn't work though, as it would never get restocked then. This would particularily important with regard to the above method for cleaning workshops, but also if you have high priority stockpiles for cleaning the floors down in the mine, and want those stockpiles to empty out as they fill up.

Also, maybe a setting that a workshop will only take goods through push and pull commands, and never unstocked items straight from the ground. Maybe that stocking, pulling and pushing are all handled separately with regard to suspending. Workshop dumppiles according to above method for cleaning workshops may need this so that they are never stocked from the floor.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:54:08 PM by Razekh »

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:19:26 AM »
Cool, gonna do some testing and report back :)

Bad news, it doesnt work at all. Not with raw materials (I tested it with raw sandstone) anyway.
Here is what I did:

Use my "Mass Raw Stone" Stockpile as source to stock from
Tell my workshop stockpile to pull from "Mass Raw Stone", threshold at 32 (one wheelbarrow).
The gnomes seem to be extremely confused, and paint the entire stockpile 4x4 green for "here will be things stocked".
One Gnome will now try to fill the stockpile by taking a single sandstone and putting it to the stack, another one will try to fill the rest with single "raw stones".

All well and dandy, same stupid behaviour as before (gnomes dont seem to be able to asses how many items a stockpile will hold when full).
Problem now is, the gnomes try to fill it by scrounging up the 1 raw stone blocks, then running to the source stockpile to dump them off again. (the wrong direction alltogether).
Its not as if every gnome reverses the flow: some are stocking from "Mass Raw Stone" > Workshop as the other gnome is busy emptying it out again.

Its basically a gnomish perpetum mobile.

No clue why it happens, but I blame the handling of "stockpile capacity". That can only be buggy if one gnome deceides he has to carry a single piece of stone when there are 8+ tiles of stockpile empty.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:53:36 AM by Merry76 »
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »
Cool, gonna do some testing and report back :)

Bad news, it doesnt work at all. Not with raw materials (I tested it with raw sandstone) anyway.
Here is what I did:

Use my "Mass Raw Stone" Stockpile as source to stock from
Tell my workshop stockpile to pull from "Mass Raw Stone", threshold at 32 (one wheelbarrow).
The gnomes seem to be extremely confused, and paint the entire stockpile 4x4 green for "here will be things stocked".
One Gnome will now try to fill the stockpile by taking a single sandstone and putting it to the stack, another one will try to fill the rest with single "raw stones".

All well and dandy, same stupid behaviour as before (gnomes dont seem to be able to asses how many items a stockpile will hold when full).
Problem now is, the gnomes try to fill it by scrounging up the 1 raw stone blocks, then running to the source stockpile to dump them off again. (the wrong direction alltogether).
Its not as if every gnome reverses the flow: some are stocking from "Mass Raw Stone" > Workshop as the other gnome is busy emptying it out again.

Its basically a gnomish perpetum mobile.

No clue why it happens, but I blame the handling of "stockpile capacity". That can only be buggy if one gnome deceides he has to carry a single piece of stone when there are 8+ tiles of stockpile empty.

Ah yeah, nothing has been changed for raw materials so this is sort of expected.  It's not really effected by the threshold, just stocking them in general.

dramamine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:51:15 AM »
I think I remember seeing gnomes take stuff stored in a single space from one stockpile and haul them to another after you built an empty container in the second stockpile. It seemed as though stockpile consolidation jobs that spawned when containers are built were only checking to see whether an item is stockpiled, and not whether or not it's in the same stockpile. Merry's perpetual gnome machine problem sounds like it could be something along those lines if that hasn't been fixed and I wasn't imagining it.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 01:39:08 PM »
Ah yeah, nothing has been changed for raw materials so this is sort of expected.  It's not really effected by the threshold, just stocking them in general.

In case you need a savegame, I uploaded mine to the Gnomeworldpool Dropbox:

ApocalypticRock_GnomishPerpetuumMobile.sav

You can find the corresponding stockpiles with shift-4 and shift-6, for your convenience.

How to share Savegames

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:10:29 AM »
Seems like a really though nut to crack. Or RoboB0b is on a holiday  ;D

How to share Savegames

Grahbarn

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:01:12 AM »
if you didnt hear the news a few months ago, i think his wife/partner gave birth, and i for one know how much hassle a new born is

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:27:41 PM »
Seems like a really though nut to crack. Or RoboB0b is on a holiday  ;D

I've been trying to get the raw resource stocking to work right.  I keep thinking I'll have it ready soon and so instead of saying something I wait to push out a patch.  It's a compounded problem since they break a few long standing rules and so I have to refactor some code.  I want to get this one right though instead of a quick fix.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:44:46 AM »
I've been trying to get the raw resource stocking to work right.  I keep thinking I'll have it ready soon and so instead of saying something I wait to push out a patch.  It's a compounded problem since they break a few long standing rules and so I have to refactor some code.  I want to get this one right though instead of a quick fix.

Thought as much - dont rush, this is good (coding-) practice.

Also, consider some days off with the family while summer lasts. Back where I live, there isnt much of a summer this year  :o

How to share Savegames

TheRogon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »
Having some odd things happening with stockpiles.  Logs, straw, fruit.. this sort of thing... designate a stockpile (size doesnt matter), gnome with wheel barrow comes and fills up the stockpile then immediately picks back up 21 (always 21) of the items and either redistributes them right then or goes and fills up to 32 items before dumping everything, then picking back up 21 items.  'Eventually' the stockpile gets filled to capacity and this behavior ends.  It happens with multiple gnomes and even with a single gnome (1 gnome set to hauling) through eat/sleep events. 

eh, forgot something important.. priority is set to 1.  I'm not pushing/pulling any stockpiles, only happens when stockpile priority is 1, doesnt matter how many stockpiles are stocking the same materials.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:52:28 PM by TheRogon »

Razekh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »
Yeah, I think I have seen something similar at times. Stocking can be a bit glitchy sometimes, but I suspect this is exactly whar Robobob is trying to fix at the moment.

Telarin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 08:08:22 AM »
The suspend/unsuspend method seems a little sloppy. Take this hypothetical case:

2 tile stockpile with crates, capable of holding 64 of some item (really doesn't matter what).
Set restock threshold to 32 so that gnomes always haul a full wheelbarrow.
Stockpile level drops to 32, unsuspending the stockpile and generating a haul job to bring items to the pile.
While the job is being executed, a gnome uses an item from the stockpile, generating another haul job for a single item, which we are trying to avoid.
This continues until the hauling gnomes manage to catch up with item usage, one item at a time, and get the pile filled.

A better option, might be to modify the job engine itself so that hauling jobs are not generated if stockpile capacity - restock threshold > items in stockpile + items marked for hauling to stockpile.

MyrddinE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »
The stock-at-a-time field needs a default you can set in the main settings, so you don't have to replace 0 on every single one. Preferably you could leave it blank to use the default, and enter a number to use something specific.

On a similar note, it would be great if stocks came with a default name based on their content. You could override it, but if you didn't it would set a name that describes the filter on that stock. This is more important now that you can direct stocks around by name... better names than 'Stockpile' are tedious to do all the time.

Possible Examples:
Raw Stone (all types of raw stone)
Some Raw Stone (excluding Raw Marble)
Raw Basalt (just Raw Basalt)
Blocks & Tiles (all types of Blocks and Tiles)
Some Blocks & Tiles (not Marble Blocks)
Some Stone (chisels, knife blades, knives, sawblades, hearth, mold, furnace, trough; rather than list them all, it just says 'some types of the Stone category)
Some Wood & Some Stone (add looms, bed frames, and other wood parts to the above)
Some Goods (add Anvils, cutting wheel, file, wrench from the metal category, and it bounces to the parent category)

To keep the names unique, adding the level and unique identifier could help.

Ore (-9)
Ore (-10)
Ore (-10b)

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 11:18:13 AM »
The stock-at-a-time field needs a default you can set in the main settings, so you don't have to replace 0 on every single one. Preferably you could leave it blank to use the default, and enter a number to use something specific.

If you leave the default, they behave exactly like they where before the threshold patch now. Which is fine for a default setting. Afterall, you have to set it to something by default. Leaving NULL (thats "blank" for all you non Database/Programming guys) in doesnt help anything - it just would have to be caught separately. And this would probably mean that NULL would be treated as 0 - so nothing would change at all.

On a similar note, it would be great if stocks came with a default name based on their content. You could override it, but if you didn't it would set a name that describes the filter on that stock. This is more important now that you can direct stocks around by name... better names than 'Stockpile' are tedious to do all the time.

Possible Examples:
Raw Stone (all types of raw stone)
Some Raw Stone (excluding Raw Marble)
Raw Basalt (just Raw Basalt)
Blocks & Tiles (all types of Blocks and Tiles)
Some Blocks & Tiles (not Marble Blocks)
Some Stone (chisels, knife blades, knives, sawblades, hearth, mold, furnace, trough; rather than list them all, it just says 'some types of the Stone category)
Some Wood & Some Stone (add looms, bed frames, and other wood parts to the above)
Some Goods (add Anvils, cutting wheel, file, wrench from the metal category, and it bounces to the parent category)

To keep the names unique, adding the level and unique identifier could help.

Ore (-9)
Ore (-10)
Ore (-10b)

Thats all fine and dandy for english speakers, but we got plenty of players that speak different languages, and they like to have it their way. Also, everyone would probably name their stockpiles a bit differently, even if your suggestion makes sense to me (well, a bit at least). Although my "Smithy IN" stockpile would be auto-named something like "leather strip, malachite armour plate, steel armour plate, cotton padding, wool padding +10" and be ugly as sin if its even readable. Just saying.

Autonaming stockpiles would rename them everytime you change their contents - this wouldnt help AT ALL. Add to this that quite a lot of people do play the game with stockpiles that change in content due to needs at the time (for example: I do). Having stockpiles rename themselves would be disastrous for me.

So ultimately, its better if you are responsible for naming your own stuff. So much to code to make it fail again, its probably better not to code it at all.

How to share Savegames