November 22, 2017, 02:57:45 AM

Author Topic: indev beta branch on Steam  (Read 37594 times)

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
indev beta branch on Steam
« on: July 01, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »
The indev branch will be for the latest Gnomoria changes.  There will be more frequent updates here but also likely more bugs.  As these updates get fleshed out, the build will periodically get copied over to the default branch and updated everywhere else.

Before opting into the indev branch, make sure to back up your saves!  There will be a chance here of some updates irreparably breaking your saves.  To back them up, travel to "My Documents" or "Documents" and then My Games/Gnomoria/Worlds.  You can back up individual saves or just copy your whole Worlds folder.

To opt into the branch right click Gnomoria in your Steam library and select "Properties"

Click on the "Beta" tab and select "indev" from the dropdown.

If you don't see "indev" you might need to restart the Steam client.  If Gnomoria doesn't update after changing branches you can try either restarting Steam or in the "Local Files" tab choose "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE"

BertJohn

• View Profile
Re: indev beta branch on Steam
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 07:07:49 PM »
:D Fantastic!

HaploAW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:22:26 PM »
How hard would it be to make your save file path part of the config files? I personally want to run a different folder in general. Don't like the location it saves. Added to that would allow us a indev folder for saved games. I run both the steam client and straight install. Drives me nuts that they use the same folder.

As a note, on my one machine I have to move files to & from a USB drive to play. Made a script but a pain none the less.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:24:29 PM by HaploAW »

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »
Should we make dedicated testing kingdoms, or shall we test with our current projects?

Either way is fine, because of backups I doubt that I loose my kingdom. But maybe I shall make a new Kingdom named "The Land of Tests" or something like that.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

gcook725

• Check out Glassworks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 11:43:15 AM »
@ Merry76: I'm probably going to test the indev stuff on both my current kingdom and a new "Testing Kingdom". That way if the indev branch would break my current save in some way (of which I backed up before playin) I at least have the Testing Kingdoms around to test the branch.

Check out my first mod: Glassworks!
It has windows!
Also, check out my Twitter!

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 02:35:35 PM »
How hard would it be to make your save file path part of the config files? I personally want to run a different folder in general. Don't like the location it saves. Added to that would allow us a indev folder for saved games. I run both the steam client and straight install. Drives me nuts that they use the same folder.

As a note, on my one machine I have to move files to & from a USB drive to play. Made a script but a pain none the less.

I added an ini file in the install directory so that you can specify a path.  I want to avoid using the UAC prompt to elevate privileges.  If you delete that file, I'm not guaranteed access in the install directory to recreate it.  Also, if the specified path requires admin access, you have to manually run Gnomoria as administrator.

HaploAW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »

I added an ini file in the install directory so that you can specify a path.  I want to avoid using the UAC prompt to elevate privileges.  If you delete that file, I'm not guaranteed access in the install directory to recreate it.  Also, if the specified path requires admin access, you have to manually run Gnomoria as administrator.

Awesome!!! I think with that in the InDev branch, more players will try, test and break the test releases.
Yeah, staying away from MS UAC is always a good option. For those of us willing to experiment it isn't an issue.

Phosphorpentoxid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »
THANKS! I thought Gnomoria is down! Maybe tell the other Users about this Beta Branch via Steam News :s

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

• I am the universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 01:37:08 PM »
THANKS! I thought Gnomoria is down! Maybe tell the other Users about this Beta Branch via Steam News :s

Gnomoria forum has been as lively as ever.. It's so strange how so many people think Gnomoria is dead, and nobody even checks the forum.
This sentence is false.
I'm a liar.
This statement cannot be proven.

magnux

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 02:10:53 AM »
Hi, I've bought the game in the Humble Store, and I would like to have access to the beta branch, is there any possibility that you could put that version to available for the humble store users, without having to go through Steam?, I don't like Steam that much.

BTW, awesome game.

bia.morton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 10:12:19 AM »
how often is the indev updated? can we get a couple lines with the changes when that happens? also ... please fix the cocoon crashes, had to switch back to stable version :(

Juord

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »
how often is the indev updated? can we get a couple lines with the changes when that happens? also ... please fix the cocoon crashes, had to switch back to stable version :(
http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=7771.0;topicseen
Last Edit: 12-08-2015 by RoboB0b

10s to find it.
~1700 hours on Gnomoria

English is not my native language, thanks !

bia.morton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 11:20:35 AM »
thanks for your 10 secs ;)

Thought those were the stable releases.. oops :)

lagsalot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »
Not sure if this is the correct thread to posts this bug/issue.  Playing under OS X on the indev steam branch and the audio is cutting out consistently.  Sometimes will return, mostly it won't.  It also seems to affect general sounds and music independently.

For example, the music might cut out at 5 minutes into a session, but I can still hear chopping/mining sounds, or vice versa.  Given enough time, all sounds will stop.

It could be related to this XNA bug perhaps. https://github.com/flibitijibibo/FNA/issues/320

Tungz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 02:58:45 PM »
Code: [Select]
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Date: 20.07.2016 0:43:51
Assembly: Gnomoria.exe
 Version: 1.0.0.0
   World: world02
 Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at IrrKlang.ISound.Dispose () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at IrrKlang.ISoundEngine.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.AudioManager.UpdateSFX (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.AudioManager.Update (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.GnomanEmpire.Update (Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameTime gameTime) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoUpdate (Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameTime gameTime) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SDL2_GamePlatform.RunLoop () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
I didnt find any workarounds. Debian stretch fully unplayable, any saves crashes. Indev\1.0 dont change anything. At win10 all working with the same saves. But i dont want to reboot for gnomoria lol. For doom it cost it, but for so low level graphics & time eating NO.
 :'(