May 25, 2017, 06:45:22 PM

Poll

Reaction to Rayleri?

Not too bad so far.  Waiting to see what comes of it.
Not sure.  Too early to tell.
Starting to think the OP needs to read a friggin' guide....
Beating my head against the wall in frustration!

Author Topic: Rayleri: My attempt to actually stick with a map for more than 3 years.  (Read 12710 times)

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Progress.  Much progress.  And it's only cost us an arm and a leg!
You'll get that in a bit.

So, Spring Year 2 brought us 3 new Gnomes.  All three were immediately conscripted into the Rayleri Militia and all standing Gnomes were released from service.  One, however, volunteered to remain on.  Cyr was immediately promoted to Squad Leader.  He named his squad 'Etta's Legacy' in honor of his former squad mate.
They have all spent almost the entirety of the season training, beating each other with hammer and ax, as well as tending to The Crypt in their spare time.  They have also volunteered their services to Rayleri's farmers and miners as it has been available.
They grew strong.  They grew quick.  And most of them have been going around with very little armor but for the last few days.
Up until one of their own, Dink, lost his arm to a Goblin.
Now, I won't say who locked him in The Crypt (it was me, totally calling it) but I think we can all agree that it was for the best.  Frenzy Commando's need both weapons in order to be at their best.
Food and Drink production has actually been on the rise, lately.  We took a dip for a little while there, but it's just been pretty steadily going up since then.  Hard goods production is still being balanced.  I had to take several things off of 'Repeat' and put a hard limit on them.  Armor production was at a standstill for awhile until I realized all of the logs had been turned into planks.  That got corrected quickly, and the troops have been getting outfitted regularly since.  They are all almost fully geared at this point.
Expansion onto an additional (massive) terrace has taken place.  This will be solely for production of Apple trees for the purpose of gathering wood.  Any fruit gathered in this way will simply be considered a perk.

We had some early visitors.  A squad of Goblins that came to the door, knocked a few times, pushed the door onto the ground, and then left.
I had to re-read the log a couple of times; I was sure I missed something.  They beat against the door several dozen times, and then they were gone.  There was no combat.
What was the point?  I mean, why bother with it at all if you're just gonna get tired after finding your way in?

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Now some color begins to appear.
And that color is gray.

Summer Year 2 was quite an interesting season.  3 Gnomes joined Rayleri and 2 were conscripted.  One in particular went out in a blaze of glory.  One day, she killed a Mant.  The first we've seen in Rayleri.  The next, dead at the claws of a bear.  Quite unfortunate.
Besides that, food production dipped down for awhile for some reason.  However, once I turned on Cheese production, it has been increasing heavily since.  Drinks have been rising nearly as quickly, despite the loss of the milk.
I've been tearing apart the inside of the terraces in order to uncover more ore as well as make expansion a little simpler.  I've also begun working on the exterior walls-making them pretty.  This was something I had intended from the start, but more pressing matters kept my attention.  Now that I have most of my economy squared away, progressing it will be much easier.  Especially once I reorganize and put everything close together.

I'll be posting pictures of the interior once everything starts getting squared away.
Also, as a note, I've been updating the post with The Crypt for every death.  I'm not too happy about already being up to 6 deaths within the first 2 years.  Quite unfortunate.

Mial

• View Profile
Yeah I'm interested in seeing some interior pics. I like how things are coming together!

SerifMarak

• View Profile
Yeah I'm interested in seeing some interior pics. I like how things are coming together!
Probably gonna do a long play session tomorrow.  Might only get a couple seasons in, but I'm thinking that I need to work on stream lining production.

Which means interior pictures might be coming in soon.  :D

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Fall was....  Interesting.

Spent most of it working on the interior.  Strip mining the whole damn construct and reorganizing my Workshops, creating individual rooms, and just trying to increase my general Kingdom worth.
Unfortunately, while the Goblins have noticed that I am becoming worth a fair bit, the Gnomads have not been so attentive.
On Fall 9 Year 2, a Goblin raid took the lives of two Gnomes.  Hespindlet, a farmer, was caught outside by them.  The troops that rushed in to respond were unable to create an escape for him.  One of them, Rilly, was killed during that attempt.
The 3 Gnomads I received at the beginning of the Season kept me in the green, despite 2 of them dying.

I've already received my new Gnomads and the 2 that died have been replaced with new.  Goblin raids are getting bigger and they are more often carrying weapons and armor.
And I haven't even upgraded to Bronze yet....

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Well, Winter Year 2 was a crap shoot right at the end....
Enjoy the interior view of the new production floor, and a frame of Cyr's bad-assery.  This dude has been around since the very beginning, was in the same squad as Etta, and has survived everything to come at him.  No one else has come close to this guy.  Absolutely impressive, especially considering that he just watched his entire squad and several civilian Gnomes be slaughtered by Mants.

Strategy is about to change.  Winter was exceptionally productive and mostly went very well.  2 Goblin attacks and no injuries between them.  Many walls/floors have been converted to walls and I got the production floor well underway.  It wasn't till Winter 11 that everything went bad.
2 Mants earned enough kills to be named by my Gnomes.  I'm not sure how quickly Rayleri will be able to recover, but we will be adopting a more 'isolationist' defense.  The Gate will be developed during Spring, but it will be mostly locked down in the mean time.  It will only open to allow Gnomes in.  We will not be working outside for some time.

Gelva
Buns
Spithina
Pia
Doogle
Perrywizzy
Ewespin
Abindleby
Axelberry
Dewemosezink
Gasil
Whicker

The statues at The Crypt will be replaced with Bronze in memory of these losses.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:56:21 PM by SerifMarak »

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Isolation.
That thing you do when you're tired of getting fisted by enemies.

And it's worked pretty well.
Had a nice swarm of Gnomads.  11 new additions.  Unfortunately, this did not replace all that we lost, but it did allow me to re-allocate more Soldiers.  Hopefully the Summer will be more giving, now that smelly bodies have de-spawned.
I've started working on The Gate, but it will not be complete until my Tinker invents some new toys.
I'm thinking 'Pit of Deprivation'.  Have enemies just fall into a pit where I can occasionally send Gnomes down into to harvest weapons, armor, and, of course, sausage links.  They'll just starve to death.
I am a cruel Serif.

The picture is of sleeping quarters.  Thinking of moving some things around, though.  I need to expand on my production floor in order to have EVERYTHING on that floor.  Sleeping quarters may end up on the floor above that.  Food production and Great Hall just above that, and then I'll add additional floors as needed.  I'm also looking at the area around me and figuring out what parts I want to erase and what parts I want to keep as a part of the compound.  You might have noticed that part of the area out front of Rayleri has started to disappear over the last few seasons.  This has been a steady progress for awhile now, and is not the only place it is happening.

As a note, Cyr has been side-shifted from his role as Squad Leader in Etta's Legacy.  He has a new squad called 'Cyr's Disciples' which is dedicated to training rookies.  Etta's Legacy is still an active squad, but has only 2 units and has been turned into a contingency squad.  Despite the Disciples being rookies, they are being put on active duty.  Luckily for them, Isolation took place at the same time.  It is unlikely for them to see much combat, at least until they cycle out into a new squad.

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Production floor is pretty much set.  Just cosmetic changes, now.  I have at least 1 of everything built, 2 of only what I really feel I need.
I've also set my Smelter to get rid of the Worn stuff that the Goblins bring in with them, as well as the Poor equipment created in the process.  With a little luck, this will mean better quality armor and weapons for my Gnomes to use, and less Military deaths.

Ran a little longer than I meant to.  Got 2 Gnomes at the beginning of Summer and 2 more beginning of Fall.
Summer was spent going hardcore into my production level.  Not much else was done, but I'm pretty satisfied with it.  Fall will most likely be spent on moving the bedrooms to the floor between the Great Hall and Production.  And, further, giving them real beds.  Until now, the only Gnome with a real bed has been the Representative from Trashburial.  And that only because I wanted to be sure his bedroom worth was high enough to keep him from complaining.  By giving them real beds and increasing their bedroom worth, I'll see a lot more productivity out of my Gnomes.  :D

As a note, in order to get my Fall Gnome shipment in, I had to open up The Gate.  And, to further the unfortunatenessity, Goblins were present.
One of my Civilian Gnomes had gone out to collect some bodies I had not noticed and ran into these delightful fellows.  Considering he was VERY slow, it is not surprising that he died.  My Military Gnomes, consisting of graduates of Cyr's Disciples (who are now the inheritors of Etta's Legacy) and the current batch of rookies under Cyr, managed to tear apart this squad.  Luckily, they did not have an Ogre with them, though I'm sure Cyr would have been responsible for that kill as well.  The dude is a beast.

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Very sleepy, kinda headachey, decided to keep this season kind of relaxed.

Finished up on making changes to the Production level, been trying to streamline food production since my drinks keep decreasing.
Decided to just enlist a new Maester from my Farmers.  I'll have to allocate several new Farmers as I can do so, however.  Not getting fruit or wood fast enough....
My Soldiers have been going pretty hardcore.  When not fighting, they've been working at Mining and Horticulture to boost their stats.  It's been a pretty productive season, despite me being so lazy.

That's about all I've got.
I'm gonna go sleep now.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:24:00 PM by SerifMarak »

SerifMarak

• View Profile
Just got Space Engineers.
It is sucking up ALL of my time.  Great game.  Very recommend.

I'll come back to this once the obsession has died.

NJekudJN

• View Profile
Looks like a SICK seed def going to try this out right now! I havnt played gnomoria in a few months but ive got that gnome itch!

SerifMarak

• View Profile
ive got that gnome itch!
I hear there's a topical cream for that.

I might be continuing this again, soon, but at a slower pace.  Was doing an update every day for a little bit there.  Once or twice a week might be more manageable.  :)

kiel814

• View Profile
Re: Rayleri: My attempt to actually stick with a map for more than 3 years.
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 08:44:18 AM »
Looks very nice. I hope you find the time to continue playing this kingdom and posting.

One question: How do you lock gnomes in the crypt? Do you assign them a room inside and close it while they sleep?

SerifMarak

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 08:47:35 AM »
I make them their own squad, assign them to guard, wait for about an hour for them to limp into it, then replace the door with a wall.  That can take awhile, sometimes.  It has to be done fast enough for their needs to not bring them right back out of it.

SerifMarak

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 10:06:06 PM »
Let me list my latest distractions....

Space Engineers was first.  Met a guy through there that introduced me to Arma 3.
That lasted about 2 months or so, until my attention was split between it, Space Engineers, Minecraft, and 2048 game.  I hate that game....
Now I am playing Civ 5 and absolutely hating the uber high difficulty levels on there.  I mean, damn.  I nearly get a diplomatic victory and Brazil gains an influence victory.  Fuuuuu....

Anyways, I know I keep saying this, but I very will might be coming back to this soon.  I, too, am beginning to get that gnome itch....