May 28, 2017, 01:27:01 PM

Poll

Reaction to Rayleri?

Not too bad so far.  Waiting to see what comes of it.
Not sure.  Too early to tell.
Starting to think the OP needs to read a friggin' guide....
Beating my head against the wall in frustration!

Author Topic: Rayleri: My attempt to actually stick with a map for more than 3 years.  (Read 12747 times)

SerifMarak

• View Profile
Welcome to Rayleri.  Another attempt by me to not suck at this game.
I find myself being too much of a perfectionist; no layout is every quite right and once I've cut away from something I realize later I didn't want to, it's all over.  New Gnomes must be ordered.
So, in an attempt to stick to this for longer than a couple of years before restarting, I've decided to catalog the misadventures of my gnomes on a forum.  That way you people can keep me honest.

I've seen the Seed 123456789 X:123456789 Y: 123456789 around for awhile and really liked the idea of using Terraces.  It's actually one of the few maps I've seen and thought 'I actually have something in mind for this one'.  So, I decided to boot it up.
As you may notice on the image, it almost went very bad.  My gnomes were split up on 4 different different tiers and not one was connected to another.
Hardly an auspicious beginning.
But, I managed to keep them all alive through the first day.  Never had that issue before, but a couple of the gnomes were almost dead of thirst before I finally got them to the barrels (they were all the way up top and my miners were at the bottom.  >.<).
I've already found where I want to start building, and it's not far away.  Here's to hoping they survive till day 3.

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Day 8, and everyone is still alive.  :D

I've figured out where I want to begin and have start expanding.  I intend most of my things to be just inside the walls, leaving the terraces for farms and walk ways.
I've already slated out the area for my Great Hall and came across Marble.  Such luck.  One of my favorite stones-right next to Basalt.  It'll be well purposed towards ramping my kingdom value up quickly.
I'm also coming across ore already, but that is because I set everything to 'shallow'.  It's not cheating if it's a standard setting.  >.>
I should have my gnomes completely interior to this area and self sufficient before Summer.  If not, it won't take much longer.  The only problem I face now is making sure that any gnomes that spawn on the map can actually reach the base.  Some of the border terraces aren't so friendly....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:28:38 PM by SerifMarak »

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Beginning of Summer and still no deaths.
I think that's about to change, though....

Most of the food I have harvested is outside of the gate.  Some of it WELL outside of the gate.  And though I've begun mining up some Copper, I am not quite yet far enough along to even arm my Gnomes with cheap weaponry.  And with supplies outside the gates to be gathered, keeping the base locked down is not something that can be easily considered.
I did gain 5 Gnomes this season, which is pretty decent considered I was not making a push for them.  I have the Great Hall laid out, but it is bare as bones.  Most of my value comes from building with Apple Wood.
I am going with a somewhat minimalist design for the economy.  Rather than dedicate each tier to any one thing, every tier will have a border of Apple Groves for harvesting.  These will be turned into wine later on.  Further, there will be somewhat equal numbers of tiers split between Wheat farming and Yak pastures.  As I can, I'll buy Emu's and Alpaca's in order to expand the economy.
I'll be planting a couple patches of cotton as well, in order to start on beds and bandages.  More worried about bandages than beds, however.  I'll lay out a Dormitory here soon so that they don't pass out beyond the wall.
Now, I think it's about time to start building the custom Professions....

SerifMarak

• View Profile
Okay, I pulled up an old Drive document that I had laying around and made a couple changes.
This will be updated as needed.
If I refer to a profession later down the line, it can be found here unless it just gets scrubbed entirely.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10Ak3p_S2_pJRVTyGfwLWpNvOevPsGpmY6wEbf7JC-UI/edit?usp=sharing

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Well then.

Turns out, I was wrong.  These two died Spring 9 Year 1.
There is no indication of what killed them, though a bear was spotted around the same time.

A funeral will be held in their honor.

SerifMarak

• View Profile
In Summer 3 of Year 1, Rayleri was invaded by a squad of Goblins.  During this battle, we suffered somewhat severe injuries to a pair of Gnomes.  These two will heal with time.
However, the first Gnome into battle-the one who sounded the alarm-fell.

Etta will be buried with full honors.

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Here lay interred:
Berox who died of unknown causes on Spring 9 Year 1
Gashwizbaspinjy who died of unknown causes on Spring 9 Year 1
Etta who died during a Goblin raid Summer 3 Year 1
Tatorque who lost her leg during a Goblin raid Winter 11 Year 1 and died at the hands of a sadistic Serif
Dink who lost his arm during a Goblin raid Spring 10 Year 2 and died at the hands of a sadistic Serif
Tindledackinkle who died to a Bear Summer 8 Year 2
Heshpindlet who died during a Goblin raid Fall 9 Year 2
Rilly who died during a Goblin raid Fall 9 Year 2
Gelva who died during a Mant raid Winter 11 Year 2
Buns who died during a Mant raid Winter 11 Year 2
Spithina who died during a Mant raid Winter 11 Year 2
Pia who died during a Mant raid Winter 11 Year 2
Doogle who died during a Mant raid Winter 11 Year 2
Perrywizzy who died during a Mant raid Winter 11 Year 2
Ewespin who died during a Mant raid Winter 11 Year 2
Abindleby who died during a Mant raid Winter 11 Year 2
Axelberry who died during a Mant raid Winter 11 Year 2
Dewemosezink who died during a Mant raid Winter 11 Year 2
Gasil who died during a Mant raid Winter 11 Year 2
Whicker who died during a Mant raid Winter 11 Year 2
The statues above The Crypt were changed to Bronze in memory of 12 who died during this Mant raid
Bangybuno who died during a Goblin raid Fall 1 Year 3
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:13:15 PM by SerifMarak »

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Nearing the end of the first Summer and things are actually starting to come along now.

I should be able to expect another decent handfull of Gnomes on the First of Fall.  Most likely I will be assigning another Maester and turning the rest into Soldier Trainees.  They will be assigned to Mining and Horticulture when they are not training in the yard.
We were attacked again.  Even though we had some almost critical injuries, no one died.  The Gnomes have been collecting the weapons and returning the favor from the last attack.
Several Gnomes have commented that Goblin Sandwiches taste even better when eaten near the Crypt.

I have left many of the fruit bearing trees outside of the walls alone.  I am trying to figure out the balance of my interior economy at the moment, and want to be certain that, when Winter hits, I have a contingency.  Those trees will likely be harvest at that time in order to bolster my reserves.

Construction is underway for metal production.  We will be gearing towards Copper armor for my first official squad, as well as Hand-Axs and Hammers for all.  The combination of Blunt and Piercing damage should allow me to face down anything that can come at me at this time.
-knocks on wood walls-

Stickle

• View Profile
I love this seed, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

SerifMarak

• View Profile
I love this seed, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
Hey, thanks man!  :3

Thinking about getting on for another season tonight.

SerifMarak

• View Profile

I was thinking, 'You know, I haven't posted a night view of this place yet.'
Well, there you go.  That's what Rayleri looks like at night, right now.  Torches are pending.

I didn't get a decent swarm, like I had hoped.  Was hoping for at least 5 again.  I mean, I HAVE been working on my economy a bit.  It was reasonable to think it would happen.
1.  1 Gnome.  And a Gnome with low talents across the board, too.
-sigh-

My Militia strategy has continued.  Everyone is in a squad and when an enemy is sighted, all are ordered to go at it.
This strategy almost didn't work.  It doesn't account for people being well beyond the wall and the help of most of the Gnomes.  It is best applied when the enemies are at the door, not when a Gnome is halfway across the map and being chased by a Goblin.
But, this was the situation I was faced with on Fall 3, Year 1.  One of my slowest Gnomes-alone beyond the Gate.
However, it turned out that he was a good fighter.  He held off the Goblin alone and weaponless long enough for reinforcements to arrive.  Just in time, too, as the Goblins comrades had just showed up as well.
Thanks to his ability to take a couple hits, loses were prevented.

My food economy is still balancing.  I'm just glad to have the reserves just outside the walls.  I'll likely need them before Winter is out, as I do not have easy access to water and my Kingdom Worth has gone up a fair bit in this season.  I am anticipating several more mouths to feed, at least 2 raids, and dangerously depleted stores by the end of Winter.  And then there's the first couple days of Spring to get through before I start generating food again.

I will say that the most unsettling part of this season was the moment the alert 'The Goblin has bled to death' came up on my screen Fall 9 Year 1.  His body was collected and has been turned into food, but the only blood on the ground belongs to the Goblin.  Whatever tore him apart may still be out there.  Unharmed, to make things even worse....

Mial

• View Profile
This seed is awesome and I'm really enjoying the posts! Very cool. Looking forward to more!

SerifMarak

• View Profile
This seed is awesome and I'm really enjoying the posts! Very cool. Looking forward to more!
Thank you very much.
Getting ready to get back on.  At least get through Winter, maybe I'll stay on for a couple seasons.

SerifMarak

• View Profile

Went from building rooms to chasing a copper vein halfway across the map.  Holy hell....

So, got another Gnome.  Just the one....  Despite actually investing in my Kingdom worth this time around.
Seriously, it's like this game treats me better when I go at it passively.  >.>
I've ramped up my production.  All stone is being turned into Blocks; all trees into Planks; all ore into Bars.  Mostly, this is to keep the little bastards busy instead of lurking in the Great Hall (which isn't done yet, but is coming along) like slackers.
This SHOULD have had enough of an effect to increase my Kingdom Worth high enough to warrant another surge in Gnomes (as low a number as 5 may be) but, alas, I feel short.  By, like, a lot.
Despite the lack, I am still feeling alright about this.  I have Winter ahead of me and less mouths may guarantee survival.

Another Goblin died.  The message came up as 'died' not 'bled to death'.  This occurred the following day from the previous, but, come sunrise, nothing else was to be found.  It escaped quickly, as my Gnomes rushed out to claim him (and his sword) as soon as he fell and there was nothing else nearby.  No blood trail, and it fought a Goblin with a sword....

In the words of House Stark, 'Winter is Coming'.

SerifMarak

• View Profile

We didn't just survive the Winter; we thrived!
For the most part.
I mean, there MIGHT have been a small issue with a Goblin raid near the end of the season.  And someone MIGHT have lost their leg.  And MAYBE this means that I locked them in the Crypt.  But, I mean, this is purely speculation on behalf of my opposition.  I still assert that I am the best man for the job.

Armor and weapon production is well underway, as is my cloth industry.  Finally, right?
Further, we have a representative and merchant from Trashburial (lol) staying in Rayleri.  They were kind enough to sell us a couple of Alpacas.  The uppermost accessed terace is in the process of being turned into their home.  We hope that the furry beasts have a long and healthy life.  Until a second male or excess females are born, in which case I wish them a speedy and clean death.  I don't want my meat tainted with that bitter 'fear' taste.
The Gnomes fought off 2 raids and a Honey Badger.  Made the poor thing flee in fear, really.  See, they'd occasionally poke their heads out the door, see the Badger, smack it with a bladed weapon, and then duck back inside.
This persisted for half a night.
Eventually, the poor bastard had enough of getting cut up and not being able to retaliate that he left.  Walked right off the map.
I suppose Honey Badger DOES give a #### eventually.

Tatorque was our only loss this season.  She was responsible for the death of 1 Goblin, and assisted with many others.  She joined us Summer 1 Year 1 and served well as a Farmer when she wasn't beating the tar out of Goblins (or losing her leg to one).  Her burial will commence once I'm sure she's dead.