September 20, 2017, 11:56:54 PM

Author Topic: Xenonauts!  (Read 3358 times)

Mercent

• View Profile
Xenonauts!
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:48:58 PM »
For the masochistic few:
http://www.xenonauts.com/

Lonestar51

• View Profile
Re: Xenonauts!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
I have the game.

I hate it.

While most of the game is a copy of good old UFO from 1994, the tactical maps are no longer random. Which may just seem like a little issue, but it ruins everything: In any mission the player is guessing what the level designer did, no longer looking for aliens which can be anywhere. And the aliens really are where you'd expect them.

Then there is the point that the number of maps is limited, any you can expect to run across the same maps a few times. When you just know what to expect from where.

Anyway, the maps give a "level" feeling: Built for the tactical challenge (such as it is), but the "people are living there" vibe is completely lacking.

Linked to this there is the difference between progression and mission: In UFO 1994 it feels like the UFOs are doing missions: In a given area, first some scouts are active, and then the heavies follow. In Xenonauts the small scouts are no longer sent once the big ships arrive. Which follows the logic of game progression, but kills any kind of immersion.

Oh, and of course the squad size has been reduced as well. I really loved to send full 26 guys into a battle, even if this was way more than necessary. But having too many guys would ruin the handcrafted maps of Xenonauts, or whatever.

With UFO 1994 I invaded Cydonia several times. In Xenonauts I the weaknesses offended me so much I could not keep playing past mid-game.

Do not buy it. Sadly, it is no more than a pale shadow of what might be - or what was reality in 1994.

Aurellus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 08:28:05 AM »
I played xenonauts ages ago when it was first a thing, but then I got the Xcom remake and enemy within and if that kinda Xcomy game is what you're hankering for Enemy within is a vastly superior game

Philk

• Beware the Alpacalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »
I really like it, very nice and challenging and while XCOM:EU/EW felt boring to me, I had tons of fun with this one. I agree that UFO was better, but that absolutely doesn't mean this one is bad. I recomend it if you like the genre.

SilverWarior

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 04:15:54 AM »
I'm playing this game now and I must say that I like it Quite much. Sure there could still lots of improvments to it but for an indie game it actually exceeded my initial expectation.

@Lonestar51
I don't know which version of the game did you play but in later versions there were some changes being made.
So now while the maps are still predesigned (no random map generator) the aliens are randomly distributed around the map and could even wait you just around the corner.

What I like in this game is air to air combat where your actions can greatly affect the outcome of the battle. By directly controlling your aircrafts you can even shotdown some bigger aliens craft with ony smaller crafts provided that you keep out of enemy fiering arcs. Something like this was not posible in orignal UFO games.

I also like that on tactical mision civilians are not just moving targets that aliens shoot at but they can actually fight back (security guards, soldiers in military bases, etc.).

What I do miss in this game is highly detailed research tree. To me it seems that the research tree was rushed out.
I always liked games where you have lots of technology advancments to be researched provided that these are not just providing certain percentage bonus but whole new items or unlock other new technologies.

I also don't like that if one of your soldiers gets under alien PSI controll it is lost forever. Even if you go and stun him or kill all other aliens (finish the mission) he is a gonner.

In short I think it can greatly improved but still worth its price.

Philk

• Beware the Alpacalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »
I also don't like that if one of your soldiers gets under alien PSI controll it is lost forever. Even if you go and stun him or kill all other aliens (finish the mission) he is a gonner.

I think you should check it with the support, I'm quite sure it is a bug, soldiers that get PSI controlled will be fine at the end of the mission if they're stunned, they'll also aways be returned control for you if you kill the mind controling alien, even if it ends the mission (last alien alive). PSI control does not lose you any soldiers unless the controlled one kill them or you kill the controlled one.

Lonestar51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 12:32:24 AM »
Interesting discussion, covering the best part of a year ;-)  :P

Quote from: SilverWarrior
@Lonestar51
I don't know which version of the game did you play but in later versions there were some changes being made.
So now while the maps are still predesigned (no random map generator) the aliens are randomly distributed around the map and could even wait you just around the corner.

Some of the beta versions, and one version after the game was declared "released". Except for the level of buggyness (beta was horrible, but release was stable) my description could cover any version I played. And no, I have no intention to go back again and do the chore again.

Note the way I wrote "chore". Note my previous post, where I told about the UFOs (the enemies) in the original did "missions", which feels much more dynamic. In Xenonauts, you get what amounts to levels: At a certain stage you get a certain kind of UFO. (or maybe two sizes, plus fighters). Together with their limitid set of maps. After X such missions, the next bigger UFO appears. his feels like you have to do X levels before advancing. More or less randomly chosen levels, but still levels (and from a small set, too).

Xenonauts just gives me all the wrong vibes. Around any corner the game breaks the immersion for me. The levels are just one example.