June 25, 2017, 08:42:36 AM

Author Topic: Road to Release  (Read 36756 times)

Gobs

• Words for a Gnome to live by
    • View Profile
Re: Road to Release
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2014, 10:13:15 PM »
And dyes; I've always been a fan of dyes...
Dyes, I think, would be great because as the game currently goes, my favorite armor, malachite, isn't really viable when something more substantial than, say, a stiff breeze spawns at my gates. But I love how it makes my gnomes look like linebackers. Being able to add color to armor would be awesome. Even better, adding color to clothes so my non-soldiers can benefit!

This! THIS! This!

It is hardly game changing, but so many times I have looked at my gnomes and wondered why a particular line of work was being neglected. Sure you can go to the population screen and look up individuals, then go to their location, but it would be nice to see at a glance "all 4 blue clad gnomes are in bed, so the forges are done for the night." Even being able to easily spot the odd professions working on tasks far down on their list (like the cook hauling dirt) could throw out a sign that something in the production line isn't right.

P.S., it would also make it a lot easier for next of kin to identify the bodies. It is a thankless task, but think of the poor gnomoms!

--EDIT--
Just my 2 cents on the whole "Life Sim" bit. I personally would be delighted even if there were just a handful of personality types and a favorite food/drink variable that just adjusted the gnomes personal stats. For instance, Kevin likes cheese omlets and orange wine and will choose that over any other food/drink. Kevin gets more food/drink points from his favorite foods or gets less points from things not his favorite (or even a dislike variable).

If gnome reproduction is ever added, a simple 4-8 personality types where say 4's are only attracted to 1's (and visa-versa) would provide an added "depth" there without becoming a complicated, overbearing system.

As I am NOT a coder, I just took a guess at what should simply be a stat modifier for an individual gnome, which hopefully translates into "easy to code!"
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:27:56 PM by Gobs »
I don't always post on the forums I've registered to, but when I do, I'm sure to put 7 months of thoughts down at once!

Akhenaton

• Ya! Ya! Cthulhu Fhtagn!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2014, 09:16:17 PM »

If gnome reproduction is ever added, a simple 4-8 personality types where say 4's are only attracted to 1's (and visa-versa) would provide an added "depth" there without becoming a complicated, overbearing system.

Oh please this! I've been waiting for more (any really) interaction between gnomes happening outside my over-active imagination.
Gnome reproduction is among my most expected updates, and I agree that some challenge to that would be required to prevent a Gnomexplosion in my forts. ^_^
"That is not dead which can eternal lie yet with strange aeons even death may die?"

Gobs

• Words for a Gnome to live by
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2014, 01:15:46 PM »

Oh please this! I've been waiting for more (any really) interaction between gnomes happening outside my over-active imagination.
Gnome reproduction is among my most expected updates, and I agree that some challenge to that would be required to prevent a Gnomexplosion in my forts. ^_^
[/quote]

Many of the more popular reproduction threads seem to focus on using food and drink stocks as the trigger for reproduction. I figured a "personality" variable like this would be less complicated and a little more... "fun."
I don't always post on the forums I've registered to, but when I do, I'm sure to put 7 months of thoughts down at once!

seronis

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2014, 08:22:34 PM »
Mac(ugh)/Linux(yeah) support should not be a post release goal.  It should happen as early as possible so that its less of a hassle to do.

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2014, 05:50:16 AM »
Mac(ugh)/Linux(yeah) support should not be a post release goal.  It should happen as early as possible so that its less of a hassle to do.

Not sure that I agree with this. Cross-platform support typically either happens right at the beginning of development, or at the end. Especially since multiple versions means extra work for further development, unless the process is 100% automated, which doesn't seem all that likely.

carcosavortex

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2014, 11:42:14 PM »
This was mentioned before, but it's fairly broken as is:  Water needs some attention.
  • Evaporation rate should probably be lowered at least somewhat across the board.
  • Evaporation rate over water (with no floor, of course) should be potentially eliminated or severely restricted (to fix the issue with adding an additional layer of water.)
  • Wells should produce water to store in barrels.  Water stored in barrels could open up the possibility to fight fires (natural, dwarfmade, and magical?)
  • Waterfalls could exist - but this would require a pump system or an external source of flowing water.  Probably very complicated.
  • If waterfalls and/or flowing water existed in large enough quantities, then waterwheels could be created as an alternative (bad pun) energy source.
  • Water should freeze during winter, at least partially.
Freezing water would introduce a new dynamic for winter.  Such as:
  • Harvesting Ice for cold storage - meat goes rancid after a period of time without Ice nearby.
  • Water "moat" freezes over, creating security issues.
  • Perhaps frozen water isn't strong enough to hold weight, creature/dwarf plunges into freezing water.  This idea could create issues that would require players to fence off water or mark Ice as "do not step" that was mentioned in another suggestion.
I know I haven't posted much, but I do have at least 600 hours logged in Gnomoria.  I hope that counts for something other than me being crazy about this game.

Thanks!

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2014, 10:53:16 AM »
This was mentioned before, but it's fairly broken as is:  Water needs some attention.

I totally agree! My kingdoms always end when I inevitably start messing with liquids, but the system is rudimentary and/or broken to the point where I can never do what I want :(

You can actually already make waterfalls! Pumps are your friend. The only problem is that it causes so much evaporation that it'll drain even the largest water sources in a matter of seasons or at most a couple years.

BinaryMan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2014, 04:19:59 PM »
I like some of those...
- Restricted Zone for Civilians (or just by profession, I always make a Warrior profession anyway)
- Adjust appearances unless in combat (then show actual armor)
- Gnome 'hobbies', odd crafts, special/unique items for idling long enough
- Revamp the Evaporation or diffusion model
- Buckets of water to make it easier to form a lake, or muddy the ground, or store water in a barrel
- Reproduction: 5-10% growth a year independent of KW? Gestation 1 year? In final 1/4 (season) she walks slowly and can't do hard labor?

Akhenaton

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2014, 09:56:25 AM »
- Adjust appearances unless in combat (then show actual armor)

You want your warriors in nice Tuxedos when off duty?

- Revamp the Evaporation or diffusion model

Please

- Gestation 1 year? In final 1/4 (season) she walks slowly and can't do hard labor?

Nice suggestion, that makes it an even harder challenge to boost reproduction. Which is great.
I also suggest that couples need to be formed (social interactions?) and they must have a bedroom with a bigger bed (2x1 object?) in order to be eligible for reproduction. Maybe even allow for the room value to influence the chance of baby making.

That would make reproduction optional preventing a gnomexplosion. Also makes it an administrative challenge, which in a administration game is most of the fun.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie yet with strange aeons even death may die?"

Akhenaton

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2014, 09:58:27 AM »
Also, I wonder if it's cool that we are posting all these suggestions here, considering this post is in the general category and there actually IS one just for suggestions. Can a moderator clarify this for me? Are we in trouble? ^_^

Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »
Also, I wonder if it's cool that we are posting all these suggestions here, considering this post is in the general category and there actually IS one just for suggestions. Can a moderator clarify this for me? Are we in trouble? ^_^

As long as these are related to the Road to Release topic, then sure. Of course, they'll probably get more traction in the suggestions thread as their own topics.
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specified as such.

Teodosio

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2014, 02:55:43 PM »
I am looking forward for GNU/Linux support, I have not been able to play this game for months, since I finally ditched Windows...

Evermourn

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2014, 04:54:17 AM »
I haven't played for quite awhile, there are definitely 2 things that I've always wanted and for me would mark the game as essentially complete:

1) as others have mentioned, the ability to stop gnomes haring off across half the map to pick up a piece of armor, and inevitably getting killed.  Let us draw a boundary around the fortress (maybe using markers/totems the gnomes make?) and gnomes don't go outside it.  This should have been put in ages ago.

2) I need a reason to dig that isn't just to get metal.  I want to dig to look for unique monsters, tombs, vaults etc.  I want to uncover the Balrog and get wiped out.  Magic weapons and armor in chests.  Frantically walling off your excavation to stop the horrors from the depths.  Just thinking about it makes me want to play.

LittleMikey

• I'm not insane, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49:58 AM »
The Early Access system has gotten lots of flak lately, and I'd just like to say I couldn't be happier with supporting Gnomoria early like I did. Can't wait to see where it goes!

Haeshka

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2014, 12:22:42 AM »
Desired addition:

While I noticed that the "road to release" contained a few more items for tinkering - it is, thus far as I have noticed: the one profession that is truly limited on the number of "entries."  Meaning - once you get your 6 or 7 gnomes to have 150 tinkering/curiosity - that's it.  For those who want "perfect gnomes" (such as developing every stat and skill to at least the 100 mark; it would be nice to ensure that all current and future stats/skills are capable of breaking this marker for all gnomes, not just the half-to-a-baker's-dozen-or-so that you crammed into the tinker's benches when they became available.

i.e. a lower "tinkering" option that serves only minor purpose, or some other addition to the curiosity stat that makes it more readily improvable by other gnomes.