June 19, 2018, 07:28:37 AM

Author Topic: Rank Similar Games  (Read 7084 times)

greggbert

• View Profile
Rank Similar Games
« on: March 26, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »
How would you rank this with:

1)  Banished
2)  Space Base DF9
3)  Prison Architect
4)  Towns
5)  Dwarf Fortress

Merry76

• View Profile
Re: Rank Similar Games
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 02:01:03 PM »
No Rimworld, Factorio etc?
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

greggbert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
Ok.  I never heard of them...

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 02:37:06 PM »
Ok.  I never heard of them...

You may want to look at this thread then:

The Definitive list of games in the "Fortress" genre

Its not as definitive as it sounds like, and hasnt been updated. Also, i just found "Unclaimed World" on Steam, which might as well be a game for this category. Not much base building as it looks like (yet).
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Sarkus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 03:45:39 PM »
I've only put time into Banished and Dwarf Fortress on that list.  Banished is fun but limited, in that you don't do anything but build up your economy and try and survive long-term.  There are no enemies to worry about, so no military aspect to the game.  It is deceptively simple, in that a lot of people got it and complained that it was boring after they "figured out" how to get started.  They just didn't play it long enough to experience the more subtle ways it messes with your plans as time goes on.

Dwarf Fortress is much deeper than Gnomoria in a lot of ways but isn't as accessible due to graphics and interface issues.  There are third-party mods to improve those, but that still doesn't make it a modern game by any stretch. 

So it depends on what you want.  Luckily neither costs all that much (relatively speaking) so you can try them all.

re1wind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »
early alpha gameplay videos of a victorian steam-punk-styled town builder with lovecraftian elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJ1B4DknOY

Not much to go on, but it looks lovely

R86

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 05:31:51 PM »
A thread asking for my opinion? Oh boy!  ;D

1. Gnomoria
2. Banished
3. Dwarf Fortress
     (I have not ever played Prison Architect or Spacebase.)
4. Prison Architect
5. Spacebase
     (I have played Towns, but not any of the recent updates.)
6. Towns

But, each of the top three has a very strong unique appeal of its own. Banished has good graphics and simple gameplay, where you just try to get your town as big as you can. For a starter I would definitely recommend Banished over Gnomoria. Dwarf Fortress is the opposite of Banished, confusing graphics (srsly what are all these commas) and obtuse gameplay, but it has much deeper systems where you can do some really weird mega projects and the like. There's also the titans and demons as end game goals. Gnomoria has good parts from both games. It has simple graphics but it's easy to tell what's what, and the gameplay is a little hard to understand at first but once you learn it it's pretty straightforward. You get way more control over your people than you do in Banished, so you can really optimize your base, or if you make a mistake, you can really unoptimize your base.

bordo

• Lego Maniac since 1975 (Skype: antony.bordoli1)
    • View Profile
    • My Lego Store (Not meant to be advertising, but a place to get to know me better)
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 05:03:23 AM »
No Rimworld, Factorio etc?

I was about to say the same thing.... ;P

Great thread though as I love this sort of genre of games.    Gonna check out anything here that is mentioned.
-B

re1wind

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 04:11:32 AM »
Evil genius, and startopia. Also try Tropico 4

spleendamage

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »
My lists

Ranked
1. Rimworld
2. Gnomoria
3. SpaceBase DF-9
4. Prison Architect
5. Timber and Stone
6. Banished
7. Factorio
8. Dwarf Fortress
9. Towns

Older games
Space Colony
Dungeon Keeper
Startopia
Evil Genius

Haven't played these (but I probably will  ;D )
StoneHearth
Folk Tale
Unclaimed World
Maia
Forsaken Fortress
Castle Story

**Edit I had Forsaken Fortress as forbidden fortress
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:02:22 PM by spleendamage »

scritty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 08:31:09 AM »
There are a lot of these games.
They all pretty much fall into the "god game" category - whether on a small or large scale.
What they've done is add a lot more detail to them from the days of the original Populous on the old Amiga and ST.

Having said that, Peter Molyneux is on record in the last few weeks as saying that the future of the God genre rests entirely with the success of "Godus"

Given how many excellent games there are, and how many are in development on the last 18 months, you have to wonder whether he's plugged into the same universe as everyone else.

Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »
Moved to Other Games forum.
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specified as such.

frightlever

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 03:06:34 AM »
Having said that, Peter Molyneux is on record in the last few weeks as saying that the future of the God genre rests entirely with the success of "Godus"

Given how many excellent games there are, and how many are in development on the last 18 months, you have to wonder whether he's plugged into the same universe as everyone else.

I read an interview with Molyneux on Eurogamer last week and it was heart-breaking. Leaving aside the initial Godus Kickstarter video, where he appears to have overlooked the entire recent history of the genre he more or less invented, but he now seems to be devoting his energy away from game design for the benefit of players and towards strategies to maximise the cash he can rinse off them. The alpha Godus item shop, which has since gone (for now), is a prime example. He's thinking like a nickel-and-dimeing mobile developer.

Anyway, that said. I don't think Gnomoria is a God game. God games let you explicitly disrupt the environment, whereas most of the above do not. They're settlement management games, of which The Settlers would be the first example - arguably.

Impaler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »
I think 'god game' is a bigger category then 'DF/Gnomoria-like'.  All DF-likes are god-games but not all god-games are DF-like.

I think the definitive quality of DF-likes is that they have individual-character pathfinding, and Terrain alteration.  A god-game is one in which you the player have an omniscient (or nearly so) perspective over the play area and give commands anywhere in that space without needed to move around an avatar.

Many older god-games didn't have as much detail in pathing (the CPU power was not available yet), for example SimCity and Pharaoh don't do pathing the same way as DF/Gnomoria etc etc do so I wouldn't call them DF-like.   Most everything else mentioned I agree is in the genre.