September 20, 2017, 11:56:22 PM

Author Topic: Castillo de Gnomoca  (Read 17900 times)

bordo

• Lego Maniac since 1975 (Skype: antony.bordoli1)
    • View Profile
    • My Lego Store (Not meant to be advertising, but a place to get to know me better)
Re: Castillo de Gnomoca
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 01:55:48 AM »
This pool is one of the nicest looking things that I have seen built in a Gnomoria kingdom.  It reminded me so much of a Greco-Roman bathhouse with nice marble decorative walls and flooring.  Man the rich back then really had it good despite not having electricity which we all freak out when the power goes out...lol.  I like it when the power goes out so that the family can collectively experience how things used to be.
-B

Auzarion

• Artist for Star Wars Combine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 12:15:17 PM »
My god. I mean I don't have a god, but this castle is insane! :|

kiel814

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 09:50:58 AM »
WOW!!! This is awesome! Do you use any cheats/mods?

I'm building my first above ground kingdom and it looks just like a blue square with only 2 levels :S

How many in-game years took you to get it done?

Kythandra

• Building Something
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »
No, I don't use any cheat or mods. Only the tools the game has.
The settings were all normal except no mants, frequency of attacks 0.5 (not to be interrupted too often) and shallow metals. I also check upon generation that the top stone is the one I want for the construction.

It took 22 in-game years to build it. But as usual with all my kingdoms, I spent a few days before un-pausing designing and drawing the layout,  I re-started it three times, and did quite a lot of test-building along the process, (that is build something like a tower or Wall, not be happy with it, load a previous save and re-start the building).

Have fun.

kiel814

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 04:20:05 PM »
Excelente!
It would have been dissapointing to learn that you cheated to build it.

I don't think I will ever get to that point, but your work is really inspiring.

AdmiralSwiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 02:42:45 AM »
Sorry to necro this, but it's the closest I've found to what I'm looking for.  First off: your design is beautiful.

I'm trying to figure out cosmetic lighting. I started building a granite tower, and by the time I made the 3rd floor, the exterior walls were all dark, not a pretty sight.  Are those torches embedded in your walls lighting the exterior? How does this work. Any general tips about having smooth lighting in my buildings, particularly if I'm not creating 3-thick walls that I can embed lights in (if that indeed is what they are for).

Thanks!

Kythandra

• Building Something
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 02:46:33 AM »
Yes, the torches inside the walls are there to light up the exterior and create an homogeneous look and color.
A torch will light up any tile within a 15-17 radius around it, even the corner tiles, if nothing blocks the light. The exception are corners, those are ligthened up too.
I started using these tecnique to avoid darker colours in a Wall, and ended up discovering that it also makes it posible to make clearer pictures preventing the black spots and dark areas that appear when you take the screenshots from far away lvls.

As a general rule: I would say don't leave any tile in the dark. Make sure that all blocks are lightened.
Use wall torches on every lvl. One should suffice unless it is a long wall. My own personal tendency is to place one every 10 tiles but you don't need that many.
If you don't want them to be seen use decorations and bends in the wall to hide them. Keep in mind from where are you going to be looking at the structure when placing them.
If your walls are only 1 tile thick the torches in the rooms inside will lighten them up. But if you build walls that are 2+ thick the torches will need to be in the exterior or embedded. A torch on one wall will also light up a second wall in front of it.
For thick walls, rather tan embed the torches in the wall like i did in this castle it might be better to create lighting galleries inside the walls.

Sunlight: A tile is only considered to be in the sunlight if it was already like that at the beginning of the game. Any dirt or stone you may expose later, or block you build, will not be. As sunlight in this game comes in a strict vertical direction, if you build anything above them they may require torches. A weird exception is digging holes. It seems that floor tiles exposed through "dig hole" become "sunlighted". This may cause curious square patterns at the botton of moats and artificial lakes (See Brukketfell village fjord). Replace all the floor on them to prevent this.

The block at the top: Some times you may not be able to place a torch to light up a block. Particulary at the top of high roofs. Consider not placing a floor above it.

Finally: Check regularly from lvl 25 for dark spots during daytime. Anything that isn't "in the light" will become dark. Place a torch there.

Have Fun
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:16:43 AM by Kythandra »

Kythandra

• Building Something
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 02:51:00 AM »
You said granite? Check this. it may help you:

Roughly
Light Marble= White
Dark marble= Light Granite= Light grey
Dark granite= Light basalt= Dark grey
Dark granite= black (sort of)

If torches fail you different materials may help. Beware of dark spots though

Have fun
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:52:35 AM by Kythandra »

Turner

• The wheat its alive ALIVE HAHAHAHAHAHA
    • View Profile
    • Steam Account...
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
I send so many messages to people but they do not seem to get them in time...

Really nice place Also since no one I have pmd seems to want to repone if anyone seeing this knows how to install GSGE please let me know
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:04:14 PM by Turner »

Gobmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 11:54:17 AM »
Dude, you are insane.  Have you ever considered setting up a tutorial, wiki, or similar for others who'd like to embark on these mega-projects?  That post about how you set up the pool alone is more complicated than anything I've ever tried, and it's giving me all kinds of ideas.

Vanzanz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
This is truly amazing, and should be resurrected repeatedly.....  Just for inspiration if nothing else.
Pioneering the Yak Level, only found by combining a goblin leg with a Yak skull on nightmare mode while killing a zombie made from your best friend.  Yeah, it's that hard...

Kythandra

• Building Something
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 01:33:48 AM »
This is truly amazing, and should be resurrected repeatedly.....  Just for inspiration if nothing else.
Thank you very much :)

Dude, you are insane.  Have you ever considered setting up a tutorial, wiki, or similar for others who'd like to embark on these mega-projects?  That post about how you set up the pool alone is more complicated than anything I've ever tried, and it's giving me all kinds of ideas.
Yes, I'm too perfectionist... About the guide, I wouldn't know where to start or how to do it and I don't have much free time lately. It would be better If you just ask me whenever you have a problem or want to know how I did something.

Have Fun
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:17:04 AM by Kythandra »

KitKate

• Good day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 02:33:57 AM »
*proceeds to stare at the cave I dug out with great effort*...so.
To muffin or not to muffin. That is the Question.

Kythandra

• Building Something
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2015, 08:48:17 AM »
*proceeds to stare at the cave I dug out with great effort*...so.

My first kingdom was also a hole in the ground.....

Have fun! kyth.

Mehdi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 03:32:21 PM »
cool man