November 18, 2017, 12:34:49 AM

Author Topic: Castillo de Gnomoca  (Read 18500 times)

Kythandra

• Building Something
    • View Profile
Castillo de Gnomoca
« on: March 12, 2014, 06:05:02 PM »
Welcome to the Castillo de Gnomoca. My third Big building Project. Rox. Governor and Master Mason and his council are pleased to receive you in the castle the King had the good will of entrusting them to build.

General view of the castle

Cellar and Moat defences

The moat defences include the counter-mine gallery and firing holes to shoot at assaulting infantry. Melee troops can also reach the moat through a hidden passage under the entrance bridge.
The chapel can be found on this level, under the main building.  There are also the vaults, underground farms, cistern for the well and underground lake, this works as a water reservoir and extra defence for the eastern Wall.

Main Level

Workshops, farms and Great Hall (comedor) with the hospital and dormitory.
The main feature besides the Great Hall is the central court with the garden and pool. This is a place of great beauty where gnomes love to spend their free hours when it's sunny. They also grow herbs and spices in this garden for cooking and medical use.
They took this garden tradition from people that came to their land from the south. The gnomes found it amazing and soon started to create their own. But close to the cantina (Great Hall) to provide themselves with drinks during the hot hours of the day. The water plays an important role in this design.

First Floor

This floor contains mainly stockpiles. The arcade around the garden  can be appreciated on this level. The work of the Alarifes (southern brick workers) is most patent there.

Second Floor

Most of the rooms for the gnomes are located on this floor. In the southern wing are the Bedchambers for Rox, Castellano and Maestro Constructor (Governor and Master Mason) and his Concejo (council) formed by his closest companions and advisors.
The Great tower to the southwest is the military tower. Armories, training grounds and barracks for the soldiers can be found there. Viona, Maestre de campo (high captain of the castle) and Binid Sargento Mayor (Second in command) have their rooms there.

Third Floor

Here is the Sala del concejo (council room) were the Castellano and his council meet.
Additional rooms are prepared on this floor should refugees or king's troops need to be stationed in the castle. Goblin invasions are frequent. The castle can hold up twice its current population of 62.

Chapel and Vaults

Gnomes from Gnomoca are deeply religious and this is an important hub of their comunity. Religious icons can be seen throughout the whole castle.
The rooms to the sides of the Capilla (chapel) are the vaults where the wealth of the castle is stored.
The ammo depot can be seen on the top right corner. It is placed under the Gate House but outside the main building should an accident happen.

Central Gardens and Great Hall
Lower level

Upper level

Nice view of the gardens the gnomes love so much.

The Gate House

Heavily reinforced and defended, the gate is protected by two towers. The angled access bridge prevents the invaders from using large rams or charging straigth through it.
The design of the Gate house is becoming obsolete, but its sturdy construction still allows it to hold again besiegers.

Gate house interior

Shooting Gallery with a maze-like corridor full of traps that scatters the invaders. Currently up to a third of a goblin invasion force can die here before even reaching the melee troops (7-9 out of 30, two headed and goblins) And those who pass through often do it scattered, unarmed, unarmoured and bleeding.

Thank you for coming to visit our castle. Please don't leave without sampling the legendary food and drinks from our kitchen and brewery. And take a little time to see the leather workshop. Its masterful crafts are famous kingdom wide.

Kyth

Have fun

bordo

• Lego Maniac since 1975 (Skype: antony.bordoli1)
    • View Profile
    • My Lego Store (Not meant to be advertising, but a place to get to know me better)
Re: Castillo de Gnomoca
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:16:57 PM »
I am very impressed.  Can you share your save file so that I might explore your creation further?
Kind Regards,
Bordo
(Antony)

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »
Holy shit. There are no words.

ObsequiousM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:19:33 PM »
wow

Krazha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 06:19:37 AM »
I wish I had something to say to this but it's so fantastic that I can't really think of something to do it justice.

DaniAngione

• Watching the world burn...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 11:10:52 AM »
wow

.. this.. wow

wow

Reyvinn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 12:27:34 PM »
jawdropping. Certainly one of the best projects Gnomoria has ever seen. Just simply amazing. The use of various rocks and so on... it is a gnome made masterpiece. :)
the deeps, my best kingdom so far

WIP svirfneblin village (no daylight allowed, mushrooms and tea only)

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »
This one one fine castle, alright.

Very beautiful design, perfectly executed!
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Kythandra

• Building Something
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 12:49:58 PM »
Thank you very much for your comments. I'm really happy you liked it. They give me strength to undertake new projects.

I forgot to mention the castles that inspired this Project. These are The Castillo de la Mota, Valladolid, Spain; The Castillo de Coca, Segovia, Spain and The Château de Salses, Pyrénées-Orientales, France (less obvious, but it is there!).

@DaniAngione; Your tilesheets are the ones really amazing. You are the one who deserves a WOW. I intend to use them in the next project.  ;)

Ty a lot again and have fun!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:06:24 PM by Kythandra »

bordo

• Lego Maniac since 1975 (Skype: antony.bordoli1)
    • View Profile
    • My Lego Store (Not meant to be advertising, but a place to get to know me better)
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 02:06:02 AM »
Any chance you can share your save file?

eloy2030

• "How should I know, I'm just the errand boy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 06:24:45 AM »
Hi, Kythandra, first, I want say your is truly epic, it has inspired me to start playing the game in a hole different way an I'm building a really nice town now, not just "moving stuff around" anymore, thanks and congratulations!

second, how do you get those view from far away? I'm trying to make a post of mine but can get that kind of screen shot.

thanks in advance

Kythandra

• Building Something
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 06:33:58 AM »
@Eloy2030: The images aren't taken that far away. I take several pictures of the different parts and then paste them together, via paint, like a puzzle. Once you have done it a couple of times it's quite fast.
I'm looking forward to seeing your garden soon. I hope you liked mine.

Have Fun.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:38:43 AM by Kythandra »

eloy2030

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 06:53:23 AM »
Wow, that was a fast answer! thanks! and hey! I was just doing that, but how do you get so good quality? mine is a disaster! I'll start the post soon, is not finished yet, but I keep adding stuff all the time so... ill just star the post and then update ii as I go I think.

http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=6429.msg49051#msg49051

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:32:18 PM by eloy2030 »

eloy2030

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »
Hey, I just updated my post about gardens and I'm using some of your pictures and a link to yours. Hope you don't mind. If you do, say so and I'll change it.

thanks.

Kythandra

• Building Something
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
Here is how I made the central pool and the underground farms.

The original map looked like this. with two lakes, one south and another east. The Little pond to the south is actually connected to the south lake at lvl -2.

First I mined as follows at lvl -1:

Then I mined this at lvl -2:

I replaced then all the dirt pool walls with the proper marble walls. I accessed the lvl -2 from the future underground farms. Then I cleared the dirt clumps from the pool and sealed it.
Next thing was to fill the channel between the pool and the East lake with water. But not opening it yet to the pool. This was done by digging a hole from the surface.
Once it was full (round 75% or so) opened it to the pool by digging a hole from the surface. Water poured nearly filling lvl -2 of the pool. But in the channel it went down to 2% so I closed it again by filling the hole from the surface. And waited for the channel to refill again.
Once Full again I reopened the channel to the pool and it started filling lvl -1. I left it like that for some time until the water percentage seemed not to raise any more and closed the opening to the east lake. The pool filled itself with rain from then onwards. It never exceded 98% though.

I started then flooding the underground farms and separated the well from the south lake. The South lake was finally eliminated. I needed that space for the Gate House ammo depot. The well was finally connected with the East lake to provide a bigger water reservoir.

Final appareance lvl -1:

Final appareance lvl -2:

Have Fun
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:42:21 AM by Kythandra »