May 24, 2018, 02:46:54 AM

Author Topic: .  (Read 7720 times)

bloodspillxxt

« on: June 26, 2012, 06:01:05 AM »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:17:16 AM by kirstenlottesovs »

Zangdar86

• View Profile
I think there is already a post about it, but nevermind, i totally agree. It s one of the good idea we found in other game, and its  usable to manage stock.

Lanfeardk

• View Profile
Totally agree with this :)

Stock is quite difficult to manage in my opinion (might be I have some sort of logistics deficit), but I agree nevertheless. It would be a great improvement for the ease of gaming :)

• View Profile
This would be great, only thing i have to add is that maybe the container option could be added inside furniture (maybe?), but i think its a great idea.

Feuver

• View Profile
this would be extremely useful. I've had several problems where gnomes fill a place with single items, then they can't put anymore items in there because they filled it. Can't even put a container over an item and put the item inside.

Dumatoin

• View Profile
Definitely need this!!!!

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
There was talk of this pretty soon after the first alpha release and I've been planning on doing something to help "soon".  In practice, it has turned out to be too hard to get containers to show up where you want and requires some player intervention.  I was waiting to get to the point where I had a day to try out a couple things to see what worked best.

MoreCowbell

• View Profile
I had been running into this problem so much that I was going to write up this very detailed post hoping it could be implemented into the game but seeing this post and Robobob has already commented that he agrees its a problem.. then Whew!! I don't have to write it up..

Please do fix this though.. if we could have containers seen by the game as furniture then we could just place them where ever we want, then that would allow so much more container management on our part.

Also.. would it be feasible (for example) to have a barrel of wine (and/or crate of food) fully stocked by the cooks and sitting in our drink/food stockpile then based on need then hauled down into a mine shaft so the miners could just drink(/eat) from it opposed to running constantly back and forth from where their working back up to the kitchen and dining room? I know they gain more happiness eating/drinking in a dining room but it makes for so much more running around when they get thirsty at 30 depth, to have to run all the way back up just to get a drink. If they had a barrel of wine right there with them that the haulers could be refilling as the barrel gets empty?

Anyway.. thanks for making this rather creative post asking for this. How did you make those pictures to already look like they would when/if Robobob adds this?

Grateful42

• View Profile
I was thinking about something like this, because left to there own devices, Gnomes will move storage items to the nearest or highest prioritized stockpile. Then I noticed you can set the number of containers a stockpile can have at most. Now Every time I make a stockpile I set it to 1 max, and if more are needed I increase it as necessary.

bew1977

• Master Yak Herdsmen
    • View Profile
I'd have less of a problem with how they place containers if they would pick up an item and toss it in the crate when the stockpile is full.  If you have a 3x3 with 9 items in it, you shouldn't have to remake larger to get them to put a crate there.

Paracelsus

• Too old to frag online, too young to die.
    • View Profile
Would it work if the maximum number of containers were changed to be the just the number of containers? so if maxed out, no individual items would be placed. Alternatively if that doesn't work, have a minimum number of containers.

TomaLexi

• View Profile
Would it work if the maximum number of containers were changed to be the just the number of containers? so if maxed out, no individual items would be placed. Alternatively if that doesn't work, have a minimum number of containers.

A minimum number is a smart idea. That way the assigned minimal number would reserve "spots" in the stockpile that wont be filled unless a container has been put there. Not having containers at the time of creating the stockpile wouldnt be a problem then either.

I vote for this.

Starblade

• View Profile
There was talk of this pretty soon after the first alpha release and I've been planning on doing something to help "soon".  In practice, it has turned out to be too hard to get containers to show up where you want and requires some player intervention.  I was waiting to get to the point where I had a day to try out a couple things to see what worked best.

Sounds great! The only problem with my idea that i couldn't quite figure out, was what to do with containers that aren't placed.
They could be stored in stockpiles, but that would make it difficult when you have both placed and stockpiled containers in the same stockpile (unless they had a different texture or a small visual marker on them).
You could also choose not to store them in stockpiles, but then they'd have to take up some of the place in the workshops.
You could also have a stockpile specifically made for containers, but that might be overkill.

Another idea is to just add the types of containers that could be stored in a storage area, and be able to select which you want. That would fix the issue with the wrong type of containers being placed in the wrong stockpiles, but not the problem with overloaded stockpiles and gnomes filling stockpiles with items before containers can be placed.

Hi,

1.  sry 4 my bad english
2.  i register extra for u,  for a possible solution

its simple...place the unused crates and bags etc.  in the "furniture" designate area

byebye

p.s. its a game i like ;)

Kman547

• View Profile
Just registered for the sake of making this suggestion, only to find it's already been thought of!  :D

In any case, I wanted to add my vote to implementing this feature.

Mechanos

• View Profile
Totally, I agree with this 100%.  My first impression of the way containers are currently handled, was nice in that it was all automated..  but soon I was pulling my hair out having to micromanage how many containers storage piles could use and/or priorities, to get crates to go where I wanted them to..  and like the OP said, sometimes your stockpile will fill up before you make the container, and they won't swap the item out.  Manual building containers in the same manner you place furniture/torches and being able to select what's stored, sounds awesome.