July 23, 2017, 07:25:49 PM

Author Topic: So... Banished, eh?  (Read 8707 times)

R86

• View Profile
Re: So... Banished, eh?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 06:42:24 PM »
This game is pretty amazing, and with the 1.0.2 update the starvation-because-citizens-refuse-to-eat-from-anywhere-other-than-their-house issue is fixed.

I would like to add that the latest patch did greatly cut down on my biggest complaint with the game. Your citizens won't go as far away from home/work as they used to and they "pack a lunch" with them so they don't starve out in the woods.

So, the game is much easier to pick up and play now, but it's still really shallow in the end game. I would recommend getting it when it goes on sale. :p

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 07:13:15 PM »
Yeah, while I understand that the lack of any sort of tech tree or progress is part of the design of the game, the result is that it becomes more of the same once all the basics are set up. Maybe if there were just a greater variety of things to build this would be mitigated, but I kept finding myself wishing there were some sort of mechanic like in the Caesar games, where providing a greater variety of food and services would cause wealthier people to move in, or something.

LarcenousRuminant

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 05:00:47 AM »
Seems like the developer is counting on the modding community to add more variety, which isn't a bad thing. A good foundation with a good mod API will lead to more great things than one developer could do alone.

Ondaderthad

• Bronze Cuirass after Mant attack ^^
    • View Profile
    • Build your own Bitcoin Cloud Miner one Ghash at a time
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »
I played Banished again after a long break. Probably as long as this old thread  ::)

First I wanted to check the new version with Mods. But the mods cancel the Steam Achievements so I also started  a couple of new maps.

Interesting Seeds to try:
954133989 - large plain
901014881 - large plain

With the first map I managed to get a couple of achievements:
300 population with No Schools and No Trade... Just.. then I had a lack of tools and the whole town went into a tail spin  and died within 1/2 hour.

I restarted a new map to get the other achievement of 400 population with no crops, orchards, animals.
That one was easier because I could now use trading to get a lot of food in exchange for firewood instead of growing it.

I found out that you need to constantly balance the amount of goods after each house built.
Tools = Pop x 2
Clothes = Pop x 2
Firewood = # house x 30 (min) or x 60 to trade
Food = Pop x 100 (min) or x 200
Wood = same as firewood

Then build a shop then a new house and check the total population again. (and average of 1 new house per year for the first 20 years)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
(they didnt die outright, they shamble around for a while, bleeding like it was a 70ies samurai flick)
Merry76
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

seronis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »
I dont see why you put tools or clothing at a multiple of your pop.  You need workers to make them as needed.  And a nominal surplus for when items in use finally wear out.  I think i just set tools and clothes to 50 and leave them there forever.

Ondaderthad

• Bronze Cuirass after Mant attack ^^
    • View Profile
    • Build your own Bitcoin Cloud Miner one Ghash at a time
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »
No sorry but if you leave your tool supply at 50 you start running into trouble after around 10 years.
That's about when your settlers start dying of old age. They must get buried with their tools. Then new labourers take tools out of stock and you soon run out.
A village without a steady tool supply is doomed because they produce less and you soon run out of food and firewood as well.
a.k.a. the deadly downward spiral.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
(they didnt die outright, they shamble around for a while, bleeding like it was a 70ies samurai flick)
Merry76
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

seronis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »
I havent had 50 tools break / children grow up at the same time yet.  So a surplus of 50 has been more than enough.  As soon as i do get an abnormally large wave of tools needing replaced at the same time my tool marker just gets to work and makes replacements faster than they are consumed.  At no point would you ever possibly need  'twice your population' in tools for any reason other than selling tools to merchants