March 28, 2017, 01:15:31 AM

Author Topic: So... Banished, eh?  (Read 7988 times)

R86

• View Profile
So... Banished, eh?
« on: February 19, 2014, 02:41:51 AM »
Any of you guys tried it yet? It looked pretty interesting in the screenshots but the trailer looked really boring. :/

gekkobear

• View Profile
Re: So... Banished, eh?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:20:35 AM »
Dunno, I think I'll wait a month and see if it goes on a Steam sale (I've got enough to keep me busy now without it). 
Trying to get my Mount & Blade Warband hero enough Right to Rule to start my kingdom is eating into my time. :)

I've been watching Splattercat's "Lets Play" video series of Banished on Youtube, I think his 5th episode went up today (20 minutes per episode).
He wiped his first series (he wasn't doing well, and had a lot of criticism); he somehow got an advance copy like a week before it was released or something.  So he had some videos before it was out.

It doesn't look bad, but a lot more "avoid starving to death and get people in the correct jobs" and a lot less "fend off the goblin hordes"... as the only problems in the game are food and natural disasters (fires, diseases, etc.).  I'd enjoy it, but I can see it being boring for some people.   Not really a game for everyone.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:35:04 AM »
Not really a game for everyone.

QFT. I have seen TotalBiscuits "WTF is" and it seems a hard game that concentrates on the things I dont like in city builders: building up and waiting for a disaster to strike. No enemies, no military (I am quite a military player in Gnomoria), no tech tree.

It sure looks good, but it sort of has a "ideal build order" that you could copy from the wiki (already?). I guess if people found out the "ideal layout" on top of that, there wont be much game left but the "waiting for the disaster" part.

I am open to what actual players say on that topic, but I am not sure if "pure survival" is enough for this kind of game. Might still get it, but at the moment I am good with the games I have...
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:41:40 PM »
I like it so far.

I intentionally avoided any "lets play" videos or other reviews and relied only on the official updates from the main website over the past few months for information.  The game is a lot like Anno.  The graphics look great.  I like the fact that you have to account for cold weather (that would be a nice feature for Gnomoria too).  I have not come across any issues with the game, it seems nicely polished so far and it did have a tutorial built in as well as some in game help windows.

I can see how it would not be for everyone though.  This isn't a beta, this is the release, so it remains to be seen if he will add anything else to it later.

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 08:55:09 PM »
I'm enjoying it, but I'll second that it's not a game for everyone. I find it pretty relaxing, actually (once I learned enough to keep my people from starving and freezing to death constantly, anyway), until something bad happens. Like a disaster, or if I'm not paying attention and my food/clothes/tools dwindle, or if I expand too quickly or take in too many nomads. I really like the game's atmosphere, including the music and the sound.

I do have this niggling feeling that after playing a few games on each of the different map types and sizes I might run out of things to try. It's not like SimCity (not talking about the new one, I haven't played that because fuck EA) where I can try to focus on a commercial, industrial or residential city, or aim for density or sprawl, or combinations of all of the above. A house in Banished is a house (except for wood/stone but that's pretty basic). Additionally, every town in Banished needs a certain number of blacksmiths, tailors, etc. (the crafting professions) determined by population. There is no reason to go beyond that (unless you're using some of the goods for trade) and it's not feasible to try to do without. The only buildings that are really optional are the happiness inducing ones, whose effects often feel pretty minimal. The hunting/gathering/foresting buildings are important but kinda require a certain setup (small outposts in flat land away from civilization). I suppose if your community is very spread out you could incorporate them into your general layout and just assign fewer people to each building, and build more of them. Would certainly make for an additional challenge.

There are still some thematic possibilities, though. You could try to keep things spread out or go for more dense population centers; you could try to do without farming altogether, or focus on other subsets of the food industry. You could try to set up one or two industries to really overproduce and trade those for things you choose not to make. I only just realized that I could place orders with merchants, asking them to bring specific things next time they stop by (or to bring them every time). There are also settings to have your trading dock automatically buy certain goods from merchants. Eventually I'll experiment with these, but it seems like it would be a real challenge to rely solely or even mainly on irregular merchants for critical goods. Right now I'm trying to expand as much as possible but that needn't always be the goal.

One thing I really wish existed: a map preview! Right now it doesn't matter so much since the experience is new and any map I get will be interesting enough. Later I'm sure I'll want to play around in specific scenarios, and it would be nice to be able to preview the map seed without having to actually start a game.

Lonestar51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 11:19:59 PM »
I have played it only for a few hours yet, but enough for forming a first impression.

The graphic is really pretty. The sound and music too. Which sums up the good points.

Well, I agree on the "relaxing" bit. Construction and everything happens on a very sedate pace. Maybe I really need to increase game speed.

That said, it looks very much like soon I will run out of interesting things to do. Just a few random disasters may not be enough to keep my interest.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »
Interestingly enough, I think starting on "hard" is a lot easier than starting on "easy" or "medium".  The difficulty setting only affects the game start -- number of families and supplies -- it does not seem to affect anything else later on.  Starting with fewer families actually makes the start easier since there are fewer needs (housing, food, etc.).

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 06:47:27 PM »
Interestingly enough, I think starting on "hard" is a lot easier than starting on "easy" or "medium".  The difficulty setting only affects the game start -- number of families and supplies -- it does not seem to affect anything else later on.  Starting with fewer families actually makes the start easier since there are fewer needs (housing, food, etc.).

But on hard you also start with fewer resources, and fewer people to get stuff done, which can make it take longer to get everything set up, even for your smaller population. You still need a woodcutter, for example, whether you start with 10 or 20 people. Honestly I think the hardest part of starting on easy or medium for my first attempts was that it tricked me into trying to farm too early... In hard you don't start with seeds so that temptation is gone.

Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 08:47:15 AM »
Honestly I think the hardest part of starting on easy or medium for my first attempts was that it tricked me into trying to farm too early... In hard you don't start with seeds so that temptation is gone.

I had the same problem with the first two towns I started. I also built houses for everyone right away first, thinking I would need them first. In my current longest town (18 years, not as long as many people), I started by building a bunch of other food types and after a couple years I was doing well for food. I seem to be in a rut where I always need more people, because keeping up with stone and metal is rough. I have nearly 50 citizens now and I had 3 12x12 farms, but metal has been so hard to maintain that I do not run one of the fields anymore.

I can see how some people could get bored with it after awhile, because external forces acting on your town are not as common as many other games of this variety. It's a competition against resource gathering and survival, not so much about preparing for tornadoes or fires. In the past few years in game I've been slowed down, but I think if I just prop up a few more houses I should be able to push a little bit further.
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specified as such.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »
I'm starting to feel more and more comfortable with the game now.  I tend to build up slowly, so it takes a while to get a lot of population, but I'm not having any issues either.

On hard difficulty here's my build order:
stockpile
storage barn (I often build far enough away from the cart you start with)
gathering hut (immediately max at 4 workers)
5 wood houses
woodcutter
blacksmith
hunting cabin
forester
herbalist
tailor

After you get all of that in place you have enough of a foothold to be ok.  One thing that is nice is that you can plop down buildings all over the place and just pause construction if you want to lay out your village in advance.  It doesn't cost anything and you have access to all building types right from the start.

I've found it works nicely to have lots of mini-cities all over the map instead of one big city clumped together.  I make a cluster of buildings based around a market.  I place 8-12 houses next to the market along with a tavern, school and woodcutter.  Each market cluster has a forest cluster close by that has a gathering hut, forester, and hunting cabin and nothing else within the radius in order to have a nice dense forest.  All other workplaces I have located around the periphery of the market range with storage barns and stockpiles scattered around.  Farm and pastures tend to be closer in to the market cluster in places that are not big enough for a full forest group.

My current town is about 150 adults and the plan seems to work nicely so I may not abandon this one like I have so many other previous attempts, lol.  I like my map seed too: large map, valley, fair, hard, no disasters, seed = 222222222 (all 2's to max out the number, I forget how many digits it is).  You start in a cleared out field with a major river nearby and 3 lakes on the map and a reasonable amount of flat space to work with.

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 03:48:33 PM »
My build order is more like:

gathering hut
stockpile
hunting cabin
woodcutter
4 wood houses
storage barn
blacksmith
forester
tailor
herbalist

It also works well, so it's nice that there are at least some minor variations in how to start. Also, having early access to fishing changes things up considerably for me.

I place buildings and pause them to plan general layouts constantly. One thing that really drives me crazy about that, though, is that it 'reserves' the resources on top of it. The only way to gather it is to unpause construction, or to remove the blueprint and clear it manually. The manual commands to gather resources should work on top of blueprints.

My biggest town was over 400 people, but then a fire broke out. It happened far away from natural water and I hadn't built any wells. I think the fire itself killed about 100 people, and did a number on all my industries. Over the next couple years another 200 or so starved or froze to death... The town had survived a tornado, too, which took out a satellite farming community and killed all my sheep. The fire was the nail in the coffin though.

I'm really enjoying the game, although I really wish there were more to do. Once you get a more or less stable town going, it boils down to building some more houses, then adding some more food production, build some more houses, add some more food... Once in a while throw in some extra woodcutters/blacksmiths/tailors... I wish there were more non-critical things to build, and I wish the health/happiness system were more involved, kind of like how providing sufficient diversity of goods and services in Caesar III would cause your city to change.

There's no endgame, if you will. Which is sometimes a similar complaint leveled against Gnomoria, except for me the endgame in Gnomoria is large construction projects. I want something to do once I've reached a point of stability besides just growing outwards.

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 08:35:55 PM »
I've heard people complain that one of Banished's flaws is that it doesn't really offer the stories that games like Dwarf Fortress, and even Gnomoria to a lesser degree, offer. And I don't think that's untrue, the people in Banished aren't really individuals, they have no personalities and you rarely have a reason to interact with any individual one. I think it's mainly the latter that's the issue, because this game just made me tear up.

Some years ago in-game I ordered a long bridge to be built across a lake, and one of the women who took up the job (I can't remember her name, but it started with an 'A') had a child who followed her around the whole time playing. As she would walk to the bridge, little Warnesto would skip along behind her, and when she went home to eat or sit by the fire and warm up, he was right there next to her. Most of the time the kids just seem to wander aimlessly, but not Warnesto. The bridge was finally finished after a year or two and that was that last I noticed of Warnesto and his mother.

Until a few minutes ago, that is. I ordered a field of stones to be cleared so that my new forester could get on with planting more trees there instead. Then winter struck, and soon I noticed that four of my villagers were starving. I tabbed through them and noticed that they were all farmers acting as laborers since their fields were empty, but the farms were quite far from the stones. While tabbing through, my heart skipped a beat when I noticed that one of them was little Warnesto all grown up... He was 43, had a nice little home overlooking the river near his farm, a 37 year old wife named Janett, a 7 year-old boy named Orlan and a 3 year old girl named Rowlandel.

Warnesto never made it home. He died of starvation while walking past a barn full of fish and venison. :(

R86

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 08:43:59 PM »
Warnesto never made it home. He died of starvation while walking past a barn full of fish and venison. :(

I did end up trying it, and the AI is my biggest complaint. I've had a guy starve to death while hauling food. I've had a guy get cold while hauling firewood to his house, drop the firewood, go stand outside his house until he froze to death. Then the whole town froze to death. >.<

Once you figure out the weird AI quirks, my second biggest complaint is the waiting. A game with children and life cycles sounds really great but waiting for your next generation to become workers is painful in the beginning.

My third complaint is it's really hard to measure how things affect productivity. Or maybe I just don't know what things are the best. I've tried centralized marketplaces with houses and with gathering forests spread out, but the productivity seems to ebb with RNG and I can't really tell what distance a house has to be from work before it starts affecting job performance.

On the plus side, it is really easy to manage your village. Once you get food and firewood setup, you can kind of watch TV while you play. :p

LarcenousRuminant

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
This game is pretty amazing, and with the 1.0.2 update the starvation-because-citizens-refuse-to-eat-from-anywhere-other-than-their-house issue is fixed. They're still bad at putting out fires, but they're better than they were.

I wish the game had a bit more depth in the end-game, because once you figure out how to sustain a growing population, you basically hit 1-2000 citizens with tons and tons of resources stocked up and then the only thing that will end you is a tornado or carelessness. It's fun getting to that point though. My latest game is nearly 100% reliant on trade for hard goods (wood, stone, iron) while trying to be mostly self-sufficient for soft goods (food, textiles). I mostly trade firewood and ale, as logs and fruit are profitable resources, and i get stone, iron, tools and warm coats (and wool since no matter how many sheep I have I can't produce enough wool to both make enough warm coats for citizens and enough wool coats for trade).

A basic tech tree and end-game goals/buildings would be awesome. I expect when the modding system hits Banished will make a resurgence in my gaming rotation (assuming I've stopped playing it by then).

Mial

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »
I have this on my Steam wishlist. Am waiting for a sale or for me to get bored and need a new game. Looks promising and fun though.