May 24, 2018, 02:50:30 AM

Author Topic: 'Back' function, 'Redo' 'Kingdom Area', Windows, Benches, Glass, Thrones + more  (Read 1357 times)

Loyal_Viggo

• View Profile
Greetings fellow Gnome Overlords. Apologies if any of these have been voiced before.

My suggestions:

1 - a 'Back' command or function within each navigational window, rather than having to re-choose an entire navigational set to reach an item. For example, I navigate all the way to furniture, then build a crate, but I meant to choose barrel instead. A simple 'Back' button in the open menu would be great.

2 - Windows. Please allow the crafting of windows, they don't have to actually open, but allowing light through or being decorative would be great.

3 - A 'Glassmaker/Glassblower' using sand (or whatever) mined from underground, and the associated items you can derive from that would be superb. If this is done, then a 'Glass Ceiling' or roof would be good too.

4 - Crafting of Benches. This would be a great addition. Double, triple, and corner-benches (L shaped) please.

5 - Thrones. My ruler needs a Throne please, and I don't mean a toilet. Saying that though...

6 - a 'Repeat Last' or 'Redo' function would be great. Say I choose replacing a wall and then change to build a wall instead, a simple 'Redo' or 'Repeat Last' quick button to move between such things would be a great help.

7 - a command to designate the boundary or outermost area of your Kingdom that your Gnomes won't go past. This could be optional per class of gnome and restricted to only allowing through some Gnomes, say fighters, and not allowing haulers or farmers to go too far off searching for things.

8 - 'Spitroast' for the banquet table, using livestock.

9 - 'Fireplace' for rooms

10 - Pillars. I like to make 3-4 storey pillars in my grand hall, but on top of every level I need to make a floor for the next one to stand on. I think a 'Joiner' section or something that seamlessly connects pillars would be great as currently it's ugly detracts from the over look. This last point is purely aesthetic I know.

minitureminer

• View Profile
These are all very good ideas. Especially the windows.

klorel

• View Profile
I'm a big fan of #'s 2, 3, 5, 8, 9 & 10 !
Rest not my weary Gnome.

aikiwarrior

• View Profile
Im loving these ideas too! I would love to see all of this implimented! Id also like to see bonfires of varying sizes.

kiomadoushi

• View Profile
1. In the context menu, maybe so... but you don't have to use the context menu, and in the bar below, there IS a back option. Since they're all hotkeyed by number, you can even learn pretty quickly how to navigate that faster than you could ever use the context menu.

2-5. Those have been suggested multiple times before... And unless robobob actually missed them each time (giving him credit, I can easily imagine him missing most suggestions, but still does a fantastic job keeping up with what we suggest anyways), then it would seem he doesn't have plans to put them in the game... at least any time soon.

6. I don't get where you're going with that. You use context menu, I assume. You were replacing a wall, then building a wall, then you want to repeat / do last? So building a wall, or replacing a wall? If you mean build one type of wall, then build a different type, then a different type, your hotbar already covers that very easy and far faster than your context menu ever could: 3 (build) 5 (walls/floors) 1 (walls). Then you just tap 1 whenever you want to change walls. Floors do this too, allowing you to swap actions even faster than the context menu could.

7. I know I've suggested this one before, and I'm sure others have before me. In playing more, I've found I really don't need that, that (1) they run out of stuff to go grab, and don't have a reason to go outside anymore, and (2) that it's not that bad to send gnomes outside your walls, the way you fear of during the early part of the game. Don't mean to seem cold on this one, but I'm sure you'll get over your desire to make a designation telling them where not to go.

8-9. YES! Yes yes yes yes yhesszz. I love having ways to decorate, and more options, often unique options - banquet feast is new to me, fireplace as a room decoration is something I've thought about, but never really seriously - are always a great idea.

10. This is something that's also annoyed me. Pillars, of all things, should be able to ignore needing floor. We already have axles and gearboxes/vertical pipes. We could get pillars built on pillars without needing a floor between, absolutely.

Loyal_Viggo

• View Profile
Appreciate the comments and questions, thanks.

@kiomadoushi

1 - I'm fairly certain that if you use the mouse to navigate to an option, using the keyboard numbers (1-9) do not take you back in the menu opened by the mouse.

6 - Let me write a different way for you. Say I chose to make a block wall, with water engraved made from granite, and used that option and then cleared my mouse cursor. Instead of going right click, build wall, type of wall, then material etc, all I would do is click a 'Repeat Last' button or similar to instantly go back to granite water engraved walls rather than do all the previous menu-hunting.

7 - Great that you don't need such a function, but perhaps other players would benefit.

kiomadoushi

• View Profile
regarding 1 and 6:
There is a hotbar below. The hotbar can remember your navigation, and is far simpler to use than the context menu. The hotbar was added to fix stuff with the context menu and make it easier. The game originally did NOT include a hotbar, and it was such problems as that, that robobob even added the hotbar to begin with!

and 7:
It seems like you want/need it early on... but they really do run out of reasons to leave your walls. It's also counter-intuitive to having military scout gnomes to watch out for and protect gnomes that roam outside of the safety of your keep (as in, that's part of the game's challenge). What you're suggesting is the potential to isolate without restricting foreign activity, and more playing will show you don't need it.

abdula321

• View Profile
7 - a command to designate the boundary or outermost area of your Kingdom that your Gnomes won't go past. This could be optional per class of gnome and restricted to only allowing through some Gnomes, say fighters, and not allowing haulers or farmers to go too far off searching for things.

I found, that "not grab items from unsafe zone" restrition is sufficient.
sometimes gnomes need to be able do some jobs, like construction (and haul construction materials, from safe zone, of cource), attacking enemies etc, while hauling of stone/tree/seeds/worn items/any other from unsafe zone is restricted.

I done some personal use mod, doing that. as safe zone border markers I use skulls on pole.

border blocked (there is only one entrance to fortress)

border unblocked -

It based on simple flood filling from great hall throught any walkable cell that don't contains skull on pole.
Every map cell store "watermark", that updated with new value during flood fill.

And if current watermark is not match map cell watermark - its considered unsafe (ie during last flood fill it was no unrestrincted walk from GH to it) - this check done for every items, that checked for accessibility.

Flood fill re-done only after every navgraph cell adding/removing or construction (skull on pole, only of cource) building/deconstruction, so it have minimal impact on FPS.

I thinking about distributing my mod, but it against rules of forum to distribute .exe / .dll, and some step of modding process may be illegal in some countries (USA DMCA, I mean).

There in Russia, as legal owner of program I have right to explore any of it elements, including decompilation etc (Paragraphs 2 of Article 1280 Civil Code of Russian Federation), and modifty it in order to making it compatible with any other legally owned software, hardware or data (Paragraphs 3 of Article 1280 Civil Code of Russian Federation) - without even noticing its rightholder, but have no right to distribute these modifications.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:23:30 AM by abdula321 »

seronis

• View Profile
You cant distribute the exe/dll but you CAN distribute a patch file so other people could apply your changes to their exe/dll

abdula321

• View Profile
You cant distribute the exe/dll but you CAN distribute a patch file so other people could apply your changes to their exe/dll

metadata from upper patch in MQ

diff --git a/Gnomoria.exe b/Gnomoria.exe
index 3f6e50515547247e0b985ea7a33fbd705044ecd9..239e5ba937d9ca8cd27cb1405d5e68c30bd04018
GIT binary patch
literal 1481728

diff --git a/Content/Data/Objects/mechanism.xnb b/Content/Data/Objects/mechanism.xnb
index b20bfa68b336248173fef223c3fdaffe920ba632..38ed1240c0a4b50907fc8df75ed500c35f6a2c9a
GIT binary patch
literal 1828

'literal' means no diff, just whole new data. its just a new binary files, rebuilded in some way. there is no sense for diff - it just very differend (I know about bsdiff and xdelta, but theres is no sense anyway)

Also there is some changes for in-house use only (injecting IronPython, exposing Reflection over network) - that requred IronPython installed, some IronPython libraries installed, pydevd server installed and running.

Also, modifications is done in way, not compatible with .NET obfuscation used by RoboBob.

But I will think about obfuscation .exe / .dll and removing in-house patches, and maybe release .exe/.dll patch in some form. If RoboBob will allow such distribution, of cource.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:42:12 PM by abdula321 »