June 23, 2018, 04:12:17 PM

Author Topic: Weekly Wednesday Challenge!  (Read 6924 times)

Cat

• View Profile
Weekly Wednesday Challenge!
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:13:14 AM »
Earlier today I posted the first weekly Wednesday challenge on the Gnomoria subreddit. I know not everyone here uses reddit, but I'm sure there are some who will be interested. Here is the link: LINK

And for those who do not feel like heading over, I'll copy the information over for you:

The weekly Wednesday challenge is a new way to try a difficult task in Gnomoria beyond the scope of normal gameplay.
In this post you can add your challenge ideas and vote for your favorites.
Next Wednesday, I and the rest of the moderators will have reviewed the favorites and select one of the top challenges for everyone to work on. You will have one week to complete the challenge to the best of your ability.
The Wednesday after that a discussion post will be added to post screenshots or stories from your adventure. How often we will do new challenge posts is still to be determined, we may select multiple challenges from one post or do a new challenge thread every week. The frequency of challenges is subject to change too, depending on how many people are able to effectively work on a challenge.
So go ahead and post your challenge ideas, and next week I hope we can have a new and interesting way to try Gnomoria!

If you are interested, the process is still in the works. I haven't figured out whether the same challenge will be for reddit and the forums, so let me know what you think. I may just test it out on the subreddit for now, but I may post the challenges and discussion threads here for anyone who wants to do the challenge, but not post on reddit.
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specified as such.

Drogzar

• View Profile
Re: Weekly Wednesday Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 09:07:36 AM »
Haha, I just posted on Reddit before coming to the forumn to see this.

As I said there, I think a "No Merchants" (Ok, you can use them to sell stuff so the game doesn't go slower but never to buy anything) could be an interesting challenge, specially now that you can get lots of Merchants "permanently" because of the Ambassadors.

kiomadoushi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:13:37 AM »
This sounds fun!

Hm, it's hard to come up with a good challenge that's actually challenging and can't be cheesed easily...

I think I'd like to see it include some building restriction. Instead of playing a new kingdom with a certain rule in place, perhaps a theme-building challenge, like "Realistic Castle". You could just make a square keep in the middle of your area, but that won't do. Overall, you'd have to terraform your land and move farms and stockpiles around, or choose to start a new kingdom just to make it have the design it should be (and surviving and building up without seeing the final shape yet. Then there's the construction detail, and how complex and realistic it seems; crenelations alone wouldn't do the trick, and period accuracy would be a factor... all of that going into a final score.

Would you try to play on tiny to make it easier to do the building? Or perhaps huge so you have the space and the land to work with? How many rough drafts did you have to go through, and how many times did the design change in a way you didn't expect, but you think it came out better in the end because of it? What about use of water for moats and drawbridges? Where are your patrol routes? What is your society like?

Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:15:03 AM »
Hm, it's hard to come up with a good challenge that's actually challenging and can't be cheesed easily...

I expect it could happen with most challenges anyways, but either way the players who go about it legitimately will hopefully have some fun stories to tell.
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specified as such.

Reyvinn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 01:06:50 PM »
I think a underground kingdom would be interesting. What I mean is this: You cannot farm on the surface, only forage and cut trees. As fast as you get some mushroom seeds and maybe agricultural settlement for wood, you depart to the Underdark and never leave for the surface again. A cave or ravine to get into your kingdom is a must for merchants and goblins of course, but your gnomes can not emerge on the surface no matter what. When a gnomad enters your kingdom, they say goodbye to the sunlight forever.

It seems to be pretty hard I think, becouse you really can't have animals underground, unless you do some terraforming early and buy some emus later on. Still, I found underground pastures not working properly in my latest game. Animals will breed, but will cease milk/wool/eggs production after some time.
the deeps, my best kingdom so far

WIP svirfneblin village (no daylight allowed, mushrooms and tea only)

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 01:35:02 PM »
How about flooding the world up to level +20 with water? Yeah it is possible - and I dont mean with GSGE :)

I know how it should be possible. Should, anyway. Going to test it first, of course *G*
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

CanisArtorus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 04:32:05 PM »
As the converse of the underdark suggestion (say, leave the surface on the eve of the 1st of spring year 2 for constancy? And perhaps never zone a grove or non-mushroom farm.);

How about a ZERO metal run.  everything must be wood and stone (hide and bone).  And no smelting the goblin crap (nor buying ore).
Other than the need to quarry stone, it works as a surface settlement.

For total extreme challenge:  no stone allowed either (except for the sawblade and butcher knife and those needed to build one [crude bench - stonecutter - stonemason = 3 rocks + 1/saw blade, knife, or chisel]),
which can be combined with a no (other) digging extreme trial. (7 rocks = 1 sawmill + 1 kitchen + 1 carpenter + 1 bonecarver + 1 butcher + 1 leatherworker), And you have to put the dirt back - we're living on the surface in thatch/bone/wood structures.

DaniAngione

• Watching the world burn...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 04:47:36 PM »
Ok, so here's my challenge:

The Verti-kingdom (aka the Tower of Gnomabel)

That's quite simple, actually. But can get interesting:

You're only allowed to build/modify in a 10x10 area. You can harvest plants and cut trees anywhere - and build groves, but you have to do everything else (workshops, farming, pasture, personal rooms, training, etc.) in a 10x10 area anywhere.
"Oh, but you can't fit all the workshops there!"
Of course you can! I said a 10x10 area, I didn't say anything about it's height ;)

So that's my challenge. Your whole kingdom gone vertical. 10x10 up and/or down - your choice. But only 10x10.

hint: since only groves are allowed 'outside' the tower... I hope your gnomes enjoy fruits :)
hint2: if you do it near water it can be quite easy to estabilish several levels of 10x10 'shroom farms :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:52:08 PM by DaniAngione »

Ondaderthad

• Bronze Cuirass after Mant attack ^^
    • View Profile
    • Build your own Bitcoin Cloud Miner one Ghash at a time
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 05:51:37 PM »
The BHP Billiton Challenge aka Broken Hill the Silver City
Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Hill,_New_South_Wales

Challenge:
Starting from a Normal map using default settings.
Dig an Open Cut Mine to reach an Iron deposit.
The Iron deposit must be exposed to the open air.

Bonus for using a switchback road on the side of the Open Cut Mine.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
(they didnt die outright, they shamble around for a while, bleeding like it was a 70ies samurai flick)
Merry76
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

R86

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »
I think a biweekly type schedule would be fun too. We could brainstorm up a challenge that involved whatever was in the patch for that week, then have two weeks to see how far we could go overboard with the new mechanic. We could postpone the challenge on the dreaded "sorry no patch today" days.

Of course, some patch weeks the pickings might be slim. For instance, this week would be about utilizing the new HUD in some way, maybe trying to create ridiculous surplus of items so the displays would read huge numbers, or going the other way and keeping all of the numbers at 0.

Either way, it would go hand in hand with beta testing the new features.

rg98

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 12:24:52 AM »
the dirty dirt challenge.
the rules 1 no dirt many just lie around it must be placed back in the world. 2 no sifting of that dirt in an prospector.
3 no walling in or gated walls. 4 normal difficulty or higher.

the insanity reigns challenge
the rules 1 a king must be one of the starting 9 gnomes if he dies the kingdom has fallen. 2 normal or higher.

the how to do i cook challenge
its simple no cooking no brewing.

have fun
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:14:58 AM by rg98 »
GAMES ARE FUN

kiomadoushi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 01:13:43 AM »
the dirty dirt challenge.
the rules 1 no dirt many just lie around it must be placed back in the world. 2 no sifting of that dirt in an prospector.
3 no walling in or gated walls. 4 normal difficulty or higher. the longest surviving kingdom wins

the insanity reigns challenge
the rules 1 a king must be one of the starting 9 gnomes if he dies the kingdom has fallen. 2 normal or higher. the longest surviving kingdom wins

the how to do i cook challenge
its simple no cooking no brewing. the longest surviving kingdom wins

have fun

Longest surviving kingdom wins... It's very easy to cheese these, rg98, and even use cheating tools, and nobody would ever know. While those would be fun between friends, it's a little hard to make an official challenge out of something so easy to cheat as that.

The Wednesday after that a discussion post will be added to post screenshots or stories from your adventure.

I expect it could happen with most challenges anyways, but either way the players who go about it legitimately will hopefully have some fun stories to tell.

I don't think a survive-the-longest was the intended challenge approach, and if it was, then I'm at least saying that I don't much like the idea of it.

Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 07:04:47 AM »
Longest surviving kingdom wins... It's very easy to cheese these, rg98, and even use cheating tools, and nobody would ever know. While those would be fun between friends, it's a little hard to make an official challenge out of something so easy to cheat as that.

If someone decides to use cheating tools to help them along in the challenge, then they are really just defeating the point of it to begin with. There are no prizes being given away. If they want to cheat, it's not like they have a chance at winning something. I can see how it could be frustrating but I think we have enough legitimate players that we'll have at least a few good stories and pictures.

I don't think a survive-the-longest was the intended challenge approach, and if it was, then I'm at least saying that I don't much like the idea of it.

So far it seems like a good mix of surviving under interesting circumstances, and a mix of interesting build challenges, but I and the other moderators will make sure that the challenge will be fair and hopefully not just monotonous of the ones that are highest rated in the reddit post.

Kythandra

• Building Something
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 08:47:54 AM »
perhaps a theme-building challenge, like "Realistic Castle".
Sorry, I couldn't help but smile when I read this... that is not a challenge, it's my every day in Gnomoria! :)
Still It would make a nice contest and we could get a lot of lovely screenshots for the forum or gnomoria propaganda.
Just choose any castle you like and lets see how well we fare at it...

Have fun

kiomadoushi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 08:48:33 PM »
There are no prizes being given away.

Silly kitty, believing you did a good job IS a prize. =3

(sorry, cat, if you find that offensive)

Kythandra, do you regularly build period-accurate themed kingdoms? Not all "theme-building" must be castles, that was just an example to show what I mean. On reddit, I've also said fort or other structures, such as cave villages. Sure, you could just dig out rooms like tunnels, but that's no fun. You would need a connection to the surface, and then multiple layers cleared out underground and build houses there, on multiple levels, with running water and all of that to make it a real underground village. Do you do *that* everyday?

How about Over-Sized House? Where your gnomes are ant-sized and you build structures to be larger-than-life varieties of common furniture. It wouldn't make sense, either, to build structures in the middle of the floor, or even training camps. Everything would have to be managed in the areas where those silly humans with their toaster ovens wouldn't look.

There's a bunch of different themes, and getting everyone to try to push their creativity and accuracy could be a LOT of fun.