November 21, 2017, 11:14:15 AM

Author Topic: Meaningful quality from raw materials to finished products  (Read 962 times)

Merry76

• View Profile
Meaningful quality from raw materials to finished products
« on: January 29, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »
Prelude: I have set to craft 1 bread, 1 sausage and X sandwich (in batches of 32, for each "food pile" stockpile i place).

This happens an awful lot:

Billwinkle has crafted a legendary bread!
Billwinkle takes the legendary bread , some sausage and crafts.... *drum roll* a mediocre sandwich...

Nice job breaking it Billwinkle. Your master must be proud  :P

This brings me to the following suggestion: Skill shouldnt be the only thing that gets factored in when creating a product, the materials used should factor in as well.

Lets say quality is a value from 1 (really bad - might be worse than the current poor, which isnt that poor to begin with) to 100 (legendary). The resulting quality could be calculated like this:

Average(Component1,  Component2, Component3...) * ModificatorFromSkill * RandomNumber(0.75, 1.25)  - round the whole thing down to the next quality level you reached

(I cant be arsed to try to write this in C#/XNA - i could do it though. Its not that hard - I just think RoboB0b would do it better/cleaner so I am not even trying)

The ModificatorFromSkill should of course be something between 0.5 and 1.5 - something like 1 + (Gnomeskill-50)/100 (Softcapping of skill required, or diminishing returns if you want)

Say you start with average wheat grains and craft a bread. A bad cook will lower the quality to poor, while a good one might rise it to good or fine. You then take an average sausage to that fine bread, the result will be a bit above average, and the cook gets another try to improve or lower the resulting quality of the finished sandwich. So my example might bring Billwinkles blunder to a still rather awesome sandwich (afterall, the bread is LEGENDARY, and sandwich is basically bread with some sausage in between....), and make the entire production process more meaningful.

But Merry76 - all the farming produce, stone, metals, wood and whatnot do only have average quality! Yeah, currently they do. And half our skills do nothing but improve our gnomes speed in completing the task. A newbie gatherer takes half a gnome hour to plant a field or chop down a tree, and a seasoned veteran seemingly just LOOKS at the task and it is done. That shouldnt really happen. A master should do his task better - resulting in better quality products - not (only) faster. So let the speed go from 0.5 normal (absolutely inept crafter) to 2x (master of the craft) should be enough. A novice should create poor strawberries slower and a master should create better quality ones a bit faster. This takes care of the rampant mudflation of older kingdoms (one crafter of a kind is enough to overproduce any amount of product) and give us the base products in variable quality we need.

Might need to disable quality choice for bandages again when bandages have different qualities, because bandages with qualities led to some Fun in the past. If you are bleeding to death any bandage will do, you do not need the legendary one thats half the map away.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

seronis

• View Profile
Re: Meaningful quality from raw materials to finished products
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »
Brilliant suggestions

RedDagger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 02:24:26 PM »
+1

Gams

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
Does item value of food affect its gnome fill value, as in will a fine sandwich of value 5 fill a gnome more then a value 3 fine sandwich? I have been assuming that this is the case and selling all lower item value sandwiches, not just reg/poor. Either way it sounds like a good idea.