June 22, 2017, 08:22:48 PM

Author Topic: Place/Build Furniture by Quality  (Read 3630 times)

BlackKnight

• View Profile
Place/Build Furniture by Quality
« on: January 21, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »
     I would like the option when originally placing furniture from stock to select which quality of that item will get placed in a particular place.
     When placing a statue in my bedrooms and Great Hall, I want to place only superior and above but I have plenty of poor quality statues in stock that automatically get selected.  My current work around is freezing statue production and then sending a merchant with all of my crap statues so only my high quality statues remain.

bordo

• Lego Maniac since 1975 (Skype: antony.bordoli1)
    • View Profile
    • My Lego Store (Not meant to be advertising, but a place to get to know me better)
Re: Place/Build Furniture by Quality
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 12:54:59 PM »
I employ a work-around to "mostly" remedy this.  Right after a merchant comes, I sell off the sub-par stuff, hit "trade", unpause, then pause and then assign the above-par furniture to where I mostl want it.  It's not perfect unless you've got the same quality of above-par quality furniture left (i.e. all legendary or all master, etc.)

BlackKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »
Lol, you have to read my entire post, I use the same technique.

bordo

• View Profile
    • My Lego Store (Not meant to be advertising, but a place to get to know me better)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »
Lol, you have to read my entire post, I use the same technique.

My bad, I didn't read the last sentence.  So at least, we're on the same page of this most likely being one of the only work-arounds.

I do agree that it would be nice in the drop down for it to list all your availble pieces of furniture so that you can choose the one with desired quality.  As a whole, I feel it is way too many clicks to find out what quality an item is (especially with low FPS).  Someone, in another suggestion post, mentioned an idea of having some text at the bottom of screen (an optional setting, of course) where more info on an item displays when you mouse-over it.

I can specifically designate the storage items by pre-tagging them with some contents, but furniture is kinda hit and miss.

kiomadoushi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 01:19:55 PM »
I use something a tad different:
When I want to build statues in quarters, I generally build all of my statues in the hallway along the available walls, leaving minimal space to walk. Since I only craft up about 10 statues at a time, at most, I only check through one by one til I find the statues with highest quality and worth, then order my builders to dismantle them, and build statues in the rooms I want (I generally favor my military, especially my archers that double as watch duty). The closest merchant is 2 days, 8 hours from my kingdom, meaning I'd have to give up a gnome for a while (4 days, 16 hours) if I wanted to use the merchant strategy.

BlackKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 02:35:01 PM »
I normally build about 30-50 Statues at a time when using my merchant-Excess Selling Strategy.  It also helps level the skills quicker so I start getting less "Wal-Mart" Statues and more Michelangelos.

Deggial

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 06:00:05 AM »
I employ a work-around to "mostly" remedy this.  Right after a merchant comes, I sell off the sub-par stuff, hit "trade", unpause, then pause and then assign the above-par furniture to where I mostl want it.  It's not perfect unless you've got the same quality of above-par quality furniture left (i.e. all legendary or all master, etc.)

This is my usual procedure as well. And in all honesty - it is quite tedious! A support BlackNight's proposal from the bottom of my heart.

There might be two ways to implement this:
a) giving us a "minimal quality-slider" when placing objects or
b) allow different quality stockpiles and a 'place from this stockpile-checkbox'

bordo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 07:28:45 AM »
support BlackNight's proposal from the bottom of my heart.

Definitly, yes!  A great suggestion.

It could be just like the drop-down in uniforms where you can specify quality "equal to" or "at least" a certain quality, but right there in the stockpile interface.  The code is practically already written.  Just needs to be copy/pasted for another use.

One thing that can happen with so many suggestions, however, is "project scope addition paralysis".  I experienced this in my career as a software engineer where over two dozen different middle/upper managers wanted to add something to the program that you're making and they'd call you up directly instead of going down the proper chain.  There was no excuse that the VP should be ringing up my phone when all those middles shoulda been coordinating what got funneled to me.

RoboBob has a good system in place, though, so hopefully some of the easier/makes-sense stuff can be considered and implemented.

kiomadoushi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 08:24:50 AM »
If that's the case, bordo, why not politely and enthusiastically redirect him to your manager, saying "Wonderful, I'll get on that! By the way, you should talk to my manager, [so-and-so], he had a similar idea. I think with your guidance, he can really find the best way to make what you want happen!"

Preen his ego, make him feel like a peacock among seagulls, and things start working out...

bordo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »
If that's the case, bordo, why not politely and enthusiastically redirect him to your manager, saying "Wonderful, I'll get on that! By the way, you should talk to my manager, [so-and-so], he had a similar idea. I think with your guidance, he can really find the best way to make what you want happen!"

Preen his ego, make him feel like a peacock among seagulls, and things start working out...

I would, but I retired from the losing game of working for others 5 years ago... lol

BigDaddySpin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »

I would, but I retired from the losing game of working for others 5 years ago... lol
That line never works... and I have another 20 or so years to go before retirement.

I also would like something similar to this. I recently had a Gnome make a Legendary Pine statue called "The Dumper of Orbs"  and I REALLY want to put this statue in my new Ambassador's room. Alas, I must first sell all the other pine statues.
Do gnomes need a 401k/benefits package or will the promise of personal quarters and a yak sandwich be good enough?

kiomadoushi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »
Maybe it works for me because I'm a woman? Simple suggestion and ego-preening works, to make it feel like its something HE wants to do, make HIM feel in control and you acknowledging it... when really you're just playing him like a game.

On-Topic: You don't have to sell them all if you build them all in a hall and just deconstruct the one legendary one, and rebuild it where you want.

BigDaddySpin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »
Maybe it works for me because I'm a woman? Simple suggestion and ego-preening works, to make it feel like its something HE wants to do, make HIM feel in control and you acknowledging it... when really you're just playing him like a game.

On-Topic: You don't have to sell them all if you build them all in a hall and just deconstruct the one legendary one, and rebuild it where you want.

Haha, now don't play that social engineering card! I've tried that, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes people catch on to what you are doing or worse, very stubbornly stick to their vague idea regardless of the difficulty in administrating/coding it.

On-Topic: I didn't think of that. To be honest, I decided that I was only going to keep Superior and masterful statues. The legendary was the first I had ever seen created other than an axe and some sandwiches. Early game I have been producing statues and other furniture items, keep only the best and selling everything else.

Do gnomes need a 401k/benefits package or will the promise of personal quarters and a yak sandwich be good enough?

kiomadoushi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 03:23:19 PM »
I actually stated it earlier in this thread...

#msg46313
^Regarding how I handle my statues of different qualities, when I want to keep multiple, and want them placed in specific spots for the most optimal purpose (eg military preferred, great hall for extra worth or poor quality for less overall kingdom worth)

And if you know how to do it right, nearly anybody can be played, influenced, to think or do what they think they want. By casually and passively letting someone feel they're in charge, whether they are or aren't, you can suggest to them a brilliant plan that they thought they came up with. Especially with bosses, you can force them to use trickle-down management by getting them bossing another person or people, say your manager, with the brilliant plan to steal their ideas, who filters down to supervisor to steal their ideas to be stolen by the owner, who steals your ideas and skills to be stolen by the manager to be stolen by the owner. Now you don't have to worry about direct interaction with the owner/president/vp/ceo/etc, and get them to bully ...er, manage... another higher-up.
As a woman in the workplace, you learn these survival tactics. xD I always feel bad for admitting it, but I have cheated men like that... Doesn't work so well on female bosses, but then again, I've always had great relationships with them, managers I don't mind working with directly and who value my input.

On topic again, we need assistant gnoministrators. I'm sure my gnomes are tired of me telling them where they aren't allowed to go and when they should be idle and return to the great hall (instead of walking into a death trap). We need assistants who can fire gnomes (from a cannon) for bad work behavior.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:29:20 PM by kiomadoushi »

BigDaddySpin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 11:02:24 AM »
I'm sure your gnomes think that they are running their own colony with just a few gentle suggestions from an advisor.  :P