December 14, 2017, 06:28:20 PM

Author Topic: UI icons  (Read 5767 times)

Kadoba

• View Profile
UI icons
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »
Hello.

I'm looking to edit the icons on the UI since many of them are duplicates and hard to read at a glance.  Is there a tool that I can use to extract/imbed the icons in a standard image format? If not how would I go about doing this?

--Edit--

With the help of Rfvgyhn I've been able to insert some custom icons into the game. Many of the duplicate icons could not be replaced but if you still want to use these icons do the following:

That's it! Just load up the game and play now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:44:30 AM by Kadoba »

Kadoba

• View Profile
Re: UI icons
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 03:37:54 PM »
I've finished a rough draft of the icons.

I've attached an image that shows the original icons compared to the custom ones. There's a chance that they are hard to read or don't look right in game but I can't tell for sure until I can figure out how to replace them.

w1p

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
This is superb, works like a charm.

Thank you for this, I personally prefer them to the originals (no offence robobob!). I think a few of the originals were placeholders anyway.

However, I think the reason some of the originals had a + on them was to indicate a sub menu behind them, helpful for newer players.

Kadoba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
Oh, do you know how to replace them then? I can't seem to figure it out. I'm sure it's easy but I just can't find any information on it anywhere.

MegaHamster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 05:16:25 AM »
Yeah, I really like these too. They make it more obvious what a button does just by looking at the picture. Hope you can get them into the game somehow, I'd like to try them.

Rfvgyhn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »
The images are packaged in Gnomoria's skin file. You'll need to unpack the skin, modify the image and then repack it. The file you are looking for in particular is called Icon.Actions.

Kadoba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 05:04:21 PM »
The images are packaged in Gnomoria's skin file. You'll need to unpack the skin, modify the image and then repack it. The file you are looking for in particular is called Icon.Actions.

Thanks. That seems to be exactly what I needed but I ran into a problem. I successfully unpacked the Default.skin file and modified the image but when I try to repack everything the utility seems to leave out ALL images. It even does this on an freshly unpacked folder which I didn't modify at all.

Here is a copy of the log.txt.

Regardless of that, I noticed that some commands (grove, underground farm, clean floor) do not have separate icons and most likely use other icons as placeholders.  I was sort of afraid of that and was hoping that at least the icon mapping information was stored in the Default.skin file somewhere but I'm going to guess it's hard coded.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:18:11 PM by Kadoba »

Rfvgyhn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
Missing images issue should be fixed. Let me know if it still doesn't work.

As for the shared icons, you are correct in that their coordinates are hard coded.

Kadoba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 08:46:18 PM »
Unfortunately I get the same result. Although the console now tells me when the image packing fails.

log.txt

Rfvgyhn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 10:40:08 PM »
If you right click the downloaded zip and go to properties, does it tell you the file is blocked because it came from the internet? If so, unblocking before unzipping should fix it.

Kadoba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 02:47:30 AM »
Awesome, that did the trick. Thanks a bunch for your help on this!

I've updated the main post with the modified Default.skin file if anyone else wants to use the icons.

MegaHamster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 11:29:04 AM »
They look great in game, thanks! =)

minitureminer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »
This is really cool ill have to download this next time I get on the computer

mjau

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 12:35:27 PM »
So anyone still playing these game?
I feel realy frustrated with icon menue and the fact it's white and gray... can anyone make it color, or somwhat recogniseble insted of that blind icons you click only by knowing what position somthing is on.

HereticAlpha

• Indigo Children
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 06:45:44 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of the file? I'm eager to try these new UI icons out, but dropbox is giving me 404.  :(
Wine, Song, Food and Fire