March 28, 2017, 01:14:21 AM

Author Topic: The Definitive list of games in the "Fortress" genre  (Read 23187 times)

onmius

• View Profile
The Definitive list of games in the "Fortress" genre
« on: January 08, 2014, 11:55:44 AM »
Hello everyone! Ive decided to make a list of every single game that I would consider in the fortress genre, What does a game need to include in my opinion?
1.The game is based around starting with a few creature (Gnomes, dwarves, goblins, humans,etc) Starting with very little resources and have to build a home of some description.
2.After some length of time you acquire more creatures somehow.
3.If a creature dies, it is generally dead for good
4.If all creatures die its game over.
5.Creatures have very basic things that make them unique (A name, a gender, a job, -maybe- a personality.)

With that definition of the genre Here is my list, if I miss ANY please comment and it will get added.

-----------------------------
Addendum: Dungeon Keeper
While not fitting within what I consider the core gameplay of a fortress genre game for a few reasons, mainly that your minions hardly have any identity to them and are really just fodder, but it DID inspire some basic concepts that would later be in Dwarf fortress.

Dwarf Fortress
The granddaddy that started it all, While it may be ugly as sin and likely to never be finished, we have it to thank for the rest of the games on this list.

Gnomoria
If your on this forum you probably already know about it, but incase not you are the administrator of a group of gnomes set on making a new kingdom, You must plant, farm, mine, build and fight your way to glory.

Towns
In towns you start with a small group of humans with the goal of making a town to attract heroes to defend said town and delve into the dungeons below for treasure.

Spacebase DF-9
From the minds behind psychonauts and monkey island. You start with a few space men who have awakened from cryo-sleep, your task is to build a space station and survive the horrors of space including invaders, parasites, space itself, and Spacebook(The horror)

Rimworld
In rimworld your ship has crashed on a strange alien world, using their wit and scrap from their ship they begin to form a base to survive against invaders and exploding squirrels.

Timber and stone, and Stonehearth
Both of these are in very very early development, these two are being lumped together for the time being as they are both voxel based fortress games that have not had enough features added yet to distinguish themselves.

Craft the World
A side-scrolling style fortress game, A very different spin on the genre but very welcome none the less.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:43:30 PM by onmius »

Merry76

• View Profile
Re: The Definitive list of games in the "Fortress" genre
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »
I would consider "Dungeon Keeper" as the granddady of this genre, but I see that you disagree.

I wouldnt lump Timber and Stone and Stonehearth together. I have Stonehearth, and its a bug riddled first alpha release. T&S is supposed to be much further advanced. I dont own it.

There is also another: Craft the World. Its 2D, but from the side like Terraria. The crafting part drives me nuts however, as the crafting tree doesnt make much sense, and most receipes are set up so dwarves consume coal or iron (not directly, but you need iron for brewing (sic) and coal for pretty much any food that they do not shun).
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

onmius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »
I wouldnt lump Timber and Stone and Stonehearth together. I have Stonehearth, and its a bug riddled first alpha release. T&S is supposed to be much further advanced. I dont own it.

As of this post ive played both games, they are so early in development that they do not have anything solid that makes them different enough to warrant having their own entries. (Both have humans, have are voxel based, both were released at almost the same time, both only have very basic build, crafting, and gathering in them.)

Vagabond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »
Hello,

Hmmm... What about adding: "A Game of Dwarves", "Impire", "Startopia", "Dwarf Corp", "The Mims: Beginning", "Evil Genius", "Dungeons", "Dwelvers", "Maia", "War for the Overworld", "Godus", "Folk Tale", "Castle Story", "Gnoblins", maybe "O'Cells", and maybe "Planet Explorers".

I had really hoped "A Game of Dwarves" would be like Gnomoria game play wise when it came out. I loved the perspective you played that game in, as well as the art style. It is a good game, but quite simple, more suited for my son or little brother as a primer for a game more comprehensive, like Gnomoria. I'm not adverse to 2d/isometric, "old school" graphics. . .My first pc game was Menzoberranzan ( followed by elder scrolls: Arena). . . I just happen to like the innovations to graphics since that time. Gnomoria is an awesome game, don't get me wrong. Can't find deeper, more interesting gameplay in this category than it, without going blind and getting migraines playing Dwarf Fortress.

Cheers,
Michael
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:30:01 PM by Vagabond »

Scotched

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 01:28:40 AM »
"Startopia"

Man, you just made we want to play it again so hard... stop that T_T.

Vagabond

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:39:07 AM »
Hey,

Yea, Startopia was cool. Well, more like two parts "annoying", one part "WTF. . . Sweeet", and one part "My wittol aliens are so happy *smiley fais*". lol.

Cheers,
Michael

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:36:41 AM »
Yea, Startopia was cool. Well, more like two parts "annoying", one part "WTF. . . Sweeet", and one part "My wittol aliens are so happy *smiley fais*". lol.

I loved the Memaus... sooo cute, so Fun!
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Impaler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 04:41:28 PM »
Banished is a recently released on Steam and clearly fits your criteria.

Also (shameless plug), I'm working on my own game in the genre, it is open-source Java using the JMonkey engine and can be picked up at

https://github.com/ImpalerWrG/Khazad

I'll be releasing a prototype build perhaps in another month that will have the basics of rendering terrain and dwarves and digging and pathing through said terrain.

seronis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »
(shameless plug)
Since you're using java check out Nifty-GUI too.  Good UI library

Impaler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
Yep I found Nifty already and liked what I have seen so far, it seems to be the most popular GUI to use with JMonkey.   I haven't actually done much with Nifty other then to throw up a little welcome splash but I'll eventually get deeper into it and have something with nice stone skinning.

Java programmers are welcome to help test and even add to the existing code, it is GPL licensed and I'm hoping a strong team develops that can eventually lead to a game is both very deep and detailed but also pleasing to the eye with an easy to use UI.  None of the other games in the genre are open-source and I think that makes this project unique.

seronis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 09:12:35 PM »
Might contribute sometime then. Did a quick fork and will see how it compiles on linux later.

Arryu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »
Might I add Prison Architect to this list? And dang it I had another but forgot it as I was typing....

Mial

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »

Grahbarn

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »
if i may say, as much an awesome game as Gnomoria is, i actually preffered dungeon Keeper, for one simple fact (or maybe a few)

1. is gave the illusion of sand box with an END GAME in sight (become supream evil over lord of the dungeon realms), gnomoria is too open eneded (build/fight/farm/fight/mine/fight/fight/survive/fight/survive/die/start new kingdom/repeat)

2. there was MONETARY value... (so, you want to advance your creatures? build a training room which costs money/resources... you want to TRAIN those creatures? let them train, but they will charge YOU for their use of it... you want an upgraded workshop/traps? GIVE ME MY MONEY! and its yours)

3. the enchanting/wizzardry/spell research

4. The evoloution of your creatures ( yes you can level gnomes...) in the sense of... you want a hell hound? well entice a pup to your realm, train him to level 10 and vola HOUND FROM THE DEEPEST RECESS OF DAMNATION! you want a kick ass dragon? entice a fire lizzard (or w/e they were called) train up to level 10 and VOLA!

5. FPV: first person view point (granted, it was a spell, but hey)

Negatives:

1. It was too linear

2. You died VERY often

3. I couldnt ever get past level 17???

4. Too limiting in what you could mine/also it was one level of flooring/didnt have an outside/etc

5. No updates promised after release

Koub

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 01:41:22 PM »
I would add Dungeon keeper was one of the very first games (and still is one of the extremely few) where you were the BAD guy. I truly loved that game for that :).
Now, I admit I prefer Gnomoria for its ergonomy, even if both can hardly be compared as almost 20 years separate them. And in computer gaming, 20 years is somewhere forever and forever and a half  :D.
Koub - Please keep in mind that I'm not a native English speaker. Thank you for your tolerance.