June 19, 2018, 07:26:05 AM

Author Topic: Craft the World  (Read 6769 times)

RAZORLIGHT

• View Profile
Craft the World
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
looks nice

too bad gnomoria doesnt have any nice animations to watch

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248390/?snr=1_200_200_254_tab-NewReleasesFilteredDLC_1

Merry76

• View Profile
Re: Craft the World
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »
Have you played it yet? I am a bit put off because there seems to be no hauling (stuff just seems to go into the invisible inventory) and the fact that your fortress gains levels like a facebook game (the later weights quite a bit...)
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

RAZORLIGHT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »
nope not played yet, but i like the graphics

i just love to watch my minions doing their work and well gnomoria is lacking such fancy things (yet?)

Ondaderthad

• Bronze Cuirass after Mant attack ^^
    • View Profile
    • Build your own Bitcoin Cloud Miner one Ghash at a time
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:42:02 AM »
Quite fun really.

Yes there is hauling and a huge, huge tech tree to discover. Grandfather clock, stained glass windows, to name a few..

The AI is a bit weak and sometimes the Dwarves get lost or go back without building their order. But you can fix that with the possession button and do the required actions manually.

The gameplay is similar to Gnomoria but figuring out how to make a basic shelter is difficult without looking at a few youtube videos.

The monsters are not as hard at least for the first few days.

And the Devs seem to make regular updates fixing the few remaining bugs. Worth a try for a change of pace and wimsical graphics.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
(they didnt die outright, they shamble around for a while, bleeding like it was a 70ies samurai flick)
Merry76
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
I bought it too (meh, its only like 13 bucks) and it is quite enjoable yet sometimes infuriating:

The Dwarves have certain skills, but because you cannot send a specific dwarf to go chop down a tree, his expertise in just that is quite useless. (not sure if any expertise apart from "shoot stuff" and "hit stuff" will ever get useful, lacking a proper job system).

The unit AI is as dumb as bricks too (Gnomoria gnomes are brainiacs to these dwarves): I once had a dwarf trying to climb a tree to build something (quite smart idea, actually) only to fall off said tree for 10 times in a row. Turns out it isnt possible but he still kept trying. Another time a dwarf chased a sheep for about 5 minutes between 4 blocks. Because the sheep always ran a few pixles away, he kept missing. A bow would fix that, but you kinda need to kill the sheep to ever get a bow in the first place...

All in all, its early access so this is expected.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Ondaderthad

• Bronze Cuirass after Mant attack ^^
    • View Profile
    • Build your own Bitcoin Cloud Miner one Ghash at a time
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »
re: skills

You know that you get some skillbooks dropping sometimes. For example if you use the swimming book while looking at a dwarf swimmer then his skill increases from 10 to 19 (I think it is from memory)
So it's up to the player to distribute those skills wisely. If you use that skill on a dwarf that doesn't have it yet then it uses the next skill slot.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
(they didnt die outright, they shamble around for a while, bleeding like it was a 70ies samurai flick)
Merry76
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ddd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 04:00:17 AM »
i tried it its pretty funny but lack a bit of depth and late game, also the combat is not so good, too simple and also too easy to exploit

the real problem is the lack of depth though, there isnt much customization of the base, it deosnt really matter much

its  ashame cause the mechanics are there but they are not relaly used, its just like "ehy you can do 600 things, but in the end only 3 matters"

maybe caust its a beta and they will evolve it

Bezdomny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »
The latest update looks really good.
Major overhaul to the tech tree which I am very happy about and another planet type which I haven't hit yet because I'm starting over to explore some of the other more subtle changes.

HereticAlpha

• Indigo Children
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:16:30 PM »
I'm not too excited by it, really. The 2D element of the game feels very limiting, and the graphics look like something from a free web browser game.
Wine, Song, Food and Fire

Equinox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 11:15:11 PM »
I agree with above.

It looks like it belongs on Facebook, not Steam.

Bezdomny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 12:21:06 AM »
This games keeps getting better with each patch.
Current price might be a little steep for what it is but I would definitely recommend putting this on your watch list and grabbing it if there is a 50% sale.

Skills other than Archery and Melee have become meaningful now.
The latest patch fixed it so that your dwarves will leave jobs to the experts when possible and skills will improve with use if already present.
They have also added a skill item slot to the inventory and skill items to the tech tree so you can specialize each dwarf.

Very satisfying now to hand that brand new steel axe to your logger and watch him mow down a line of trees while your cook is home baking bread instead of vice versa.

Lacks some of the depth found in Gnomoria? Certainly but it is still fun and keeps getting better.

AsleepOnTheFloor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 09:49:43 AM »
I've played a bit. The game has potential and is somewhat enjoyable. They managed to cram a stupid level grinding mechanic into a builder game (craft 20 ladders so you can unlock torches!) that detracts greatly from enjoyability. The invisible inventory isn't too bad imo, and the 2D is an interesting twist. The controls are extremely clumsy (and I've played hundreds of hours of DF, for reference), and the game moves REALLY SLOW and there's no speedup option.

Plus sides: as grindy as the tech tree is, it's nice and deep. Cute art; I'm a sucker for cute. AI isn't too bad, but has some weaknesses (less excusable in 2D than 3D).

But I agree with previous comments: this is a Facebook game being sold on steam, and putting it in the same genre as serious games with depth like Gnomoria is simply laughable. Maybe with a LOT of polish and fixing the poor design decisions (level grinding) this game could earn entry into the genre.

I'd keep an eye on it in case it matures, but for now save your money and play something else, this reads too much like a casual facebook game/phone that holds little enjoyment for a serious audience. Timber and Stone, Rimworld, and even Goblin Camp are suggested alternatives that are more enjoyable in current form.

Gralad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 12:40:20 AM »
and the game moves REALLY SLOW and there's no speedup option.

it has... i dont remember anymore which key exactly it was but it was one of the function keys

i enjoyed this game for exactly 1 playthrough. it lacks the depth that gnomoria offers

bpais008

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
I overall like craft the world. The one thing really cant stand though, is the atrocious AI. It really needs seriously heavy work done on it.