March 28, 2017, 01:15:53 AM

Author Topic: RimWorld  (Read 7336 times)

RAZORLIGHT

• View Profile
RimWorld
« on: November 07, 2013, 10:55:58 AM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tynansylvester/rimworld

looks like a mix between Gnomoria and Prison Archictect in Space

Merry76

• View Profile
Re: RimWorld
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:00:23 PM »
And its fun too. Wrong forum though... We do have a "Other game" forum :)

I do not think that it is a complete replacement for gnomoria. It does several things different (in quit a fun way), but its definatly worth buying alongside gnomoria.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 06:55:31 AM »
Moved to Other Games forum.
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specified as such.

Lonestar51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 02:06:58 AM »
Rimworld is quite nice. It was worth the money I put into the kickstarter. However, it is still behind Gnomoria in terms of content etc.  And there are some cheesy ways to pretect your colonists which make the fortress nearly invulnerable.

What is really good is the mood system (not yet fully balanced, but still...).

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 08:49:05 AM »
Yeah after building my first invulnerable fortress with fancy, cheesy defenses I started limiting myself to make things more interesting/fun/Fun. First I said no turrets, but 15 colonists with R4 pulse rifles firing at enemies funneled onto a giant sandbag waffle is just as cheap a strategy. So now I'm playing a world with no funneling at all, just an open town with some basic defenses around the perimeter. I got my first sniper rifle recently, and I have actually been engaging the raiders first to get some free shots off.

HarbingerOfHatred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »
Yeah after building my first invulnerable fortress with fancy, cheesy defenses I started limiting myself to make things more interesting/fun/Fun. First I said no turrets, but 15 colonists with R4 pulse rifles firing at enemies funneled onto a giant sandbag waffle is just as cheap a strategy. So now I'm playing a world with no funneling at all, just an open town with some basic defenses around the perimeter. I got my first sniper rifle recently, and I have actually been engaging the raiders first to get some free shots off.
The AI storyteller seriously overestimates the turrets and sends raider parties that are just too much. I remember I got 10 turrets down and I had about 5 colonists. They sent a raider party of 11 raiders. Needless to say the turrets couldn't do crap against the snipers and my measly 5 colonists were no match for a 10+ group of pirates, space marines, assassins and the like.

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 06:06:32 PM »
[The AI storyteller seriously overestimates the turrets and sends raider parties that are just too much. I remember I got 10 turrets down and I had about 5 colonists. They sent a raider party of 11 raiders. Needless to say the turrets couldn't do crap against the snipers and my measly 5 colonists were no match for a 10+ group of pirates, space marines, assassins and the like.

Whether or not they overestimate turrets depends on interpretation, which is part of the problem. If you just build 10 turrets around your entrance, with maybe sandbags for a little bit of cover, then a single sniper raider will means a very bad day for you (unless your own snipers manage to take him out quickly). On the other hand, if you build your turrets in strategic locations, such that raiders have to come within range of your turrets to get a sight on them, then 10 turrets can stave off a very, very large raid. Especially if you have builders on standby to repair damage, and use your colonists as well as the turrets. 5 colonists + 10 turrets vs. 11 raiders is a cake walk if done 'right.'

Doing it 'right' at this stage of the game isn't always fun, though ('right' for now means a funnel, a waffle, and turret placement strategy can vary). So like I said, I just decided to stop using turrets altogether.

tl;dr: turrets are overrated if they're used normally, but they're completely overpowered if you employ cheesy tactics. Tynan is well aware of the issue, so it should be fixed or improved eventually. I think a lot will change once he figures out how to mitigate waffling and funneling, though.

bordo

• Lego Maniac since 1975 (Skype: antony.bordoli1)
    • View Profile
    • My Lego Store (Not meant to be advertising, but a place to get to know me better)
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »
I like the look of the game, but I wish there was a limited-play trial.  Popping down $30 for an "unknown" just isn't going to happen for me.

seronis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:44:33 AM »
What exactly is a waffle in this context ?

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 10:48:49 AM »
What exactly is a waffle in this context ?

Filling an area with sandbags. Sandbags only offer cover if you stand behind them, and none at all while you climb over them (they also slow you down like MAD while you do that).

If you place a waffle in a choke point, your enemies have no cover are super slow and are sitting ducks to be shot down.  In a game where you cant wall in because your walls are made from higly flammable (magnesium filled?) concrete, this is the wall in strategy of rimworld. Basically the I-Win button.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Shurp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 12:52:02 PM »
So I did a search and I noticed that nobody has said anything about Rimworld in here in quite a while... has everyone given up on it?  I just bought it, seems like a fun game.  But I'm just at the introductory phase -- 4 colonists vs half a dozen raiders at a time.  Probably overpriced for what content it has, but still way more interesting and playable than most major games these days.

gcook725

• Check out Glassworks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »
So I did a search and I noticed that nobody has said anything about Rimworld in here in quite a while... has everyone given up on it?  I just bought it, seems like a fun game.  But I'm just at the introductory phase -- 4 colonists vs half a dozen raiders at a time.  Probably overpriced for what content it has, but still way more interesting and playable than most major games these days.

I would think that the lack of conversation about Rimworld would directly be connected to the general lack of conversation on these forums compared to a lot of other forums :P

Check out my first mod: Glassworks!
It has windows!
Also, check out my Twitter!

Shurp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »
Sure, that too...  I just was amazed that nothing had been said about it since 2014.  I didn't know if that reflected more on what was going on in Gnomoria's community or Rimworld's.

gcook725

• Check out Glassworks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 07:21:20 PM »
Sure, that too...  I just was amazed that nothing had been said about it since 2014.  I didn't know if that reflected more on what was going on in Gnomoria's community or Rimworld's.

Probably Gnomoria's community. We're generally pretty quiet. Dunno about Rimworld's community, but I know that it looks pretty good (its on my list of games to get eventually).

Check out my first mod: Glassworks!
It has windows!
Also, check out my Twitter!

RoaminGnome47

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 04:15:34 PM »
I have it and I quite like it. I like that the modding support has been around long enough to have a lot of options.

Cant wait for there to be tons of mods for Gnomoria :D
This is really the name I use for everything, Gnomoria stood out to be the moment I saw the name :D