July 22, 2017, 09:42:33 AM

Author Topic: OS and Dual boot?  (Read 3097 times)

Derpblob

• View Profile
OS and Dual boot?
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »
Just wondering if any of you dual boot and what OS you guys use.'

I'm using Windows 7 and just recently got Ubuntu, and failing to do partitions, causing Ubuntu to override Windows 7 for a little while. Luckily I got a CD this week to play the games I want.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04. As for my opinion on Ubuntu, I prefer Ubuntu over Windows 7, but Windows 7 has most of my games . . . . blarg? Ubuntu also has a free version of Word, Excel, Presentation, and Access. So Windows 7 is where all my games are and Ubuntu is my general OS.
Dwarf Fortress Failtacular

Just Gnoming around, causing terrible puns since 2013!

Stickle

• View Profile
Re: OS and Dual boot?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:14:24 PM »
I dual boot OS X and Windows 7. I mostly use windows for games, but also occasionally for a program that doesn't exist for OS X. I actually like it this way, as if I'm working I'm much less tempted to start playing a game if it means rebooting my computer. Even when games exist for Windows and OS X I always get the windows version.

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:29:13 AM »
I dual boot OS X and Windows 7. I mostly use windows for games, but also occasionally for a program that doesn't exist for OS X. I actually like it this way, as if I'm working I'm much less tempted to start playing a game if it means rebooting my computer. Even when games exist for Windows and OS X I always get the windows version.

I second this :P

NeoNero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 04:45:08 AM »
If you still have trouble with installing linux you could use
VMware or VirualBox or Hyper V or ...

to run a virtual version of an linux os

Aurellus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 08:12:04 AM »
I dual boot windows 7 and kali linux, luckily kali has really powerful partitioning software and the install is incredibly easy. It's a daunting thing to do when you've never tried it before

SilverWarior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 03:33:08 AM »
When setting up any dual-boot you need to be careful so that when you are installing the second OS you specifically tell it that it Will be installed as dual-boot so that it doesen't overwrite your boot manager on your primary partition.

Now tthis can all be much easier if you are able to aford having multiple hard drives (or SSD drives).
In such case you simply install first OS on first drive (with second beind disconected) and then you repeate this process with second OS and second drive (having first drive disconected).
Finally you only need to set up the boot manager. Depending on installed OS-es you might have to use one of cistom boot managers to make this work.
Or you can simply use BIOS support for chosing primary boot device as I do myself.

PS there are also some program on the web that alows scanning of all of your partitions and then setting up the dual-boot settings corectly even after installing of the second OS has overwritten the default boot manager.

seronis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »
Generally its windows that utterly trashes your boot sectors.  So install windows first and  linux second and the system will work.  If you install windows last it sometimes tries to assume sole ownership because its broken.