March 28, 2017, 12:45:08 PM

Author Topic: Kelderek's First Year Open Fortress Walkthrough Guide - With Save Files  (Read 11778 times)

Kelderek

• View Profile
Purpose:
The main thing I wanted to show in this walkthrough is how you can play without sealing off your fortress in Gnomoria on a more difficult game setting.  What follows are my notes and save games from a full in-game year of a new kingdom.  I end up with a wall and trench to enclose my kingdom, but I have an opening where enemies would be able to enter if they can get past my guard soldiers.

I am no good at making videos and a full year of gameplay would require a lot of editing to shorten it down to a reasonable size.  So instead I just wrote down notes as I went and have provided save games at key points along the way.  This kingdom is meant to be functional and efficient and I've made no effort to make it look pretty.

Here are the Save Game Files:
Year 1, Spring, Day 2
Year 1, Spring, Day 5
Year 1, Spring, Day 8
Year 1, Summer, Day 1
Year 1, Summer, Day 5
Year 1, Fall, Day 7
Year 1, Winter, Day 9

Here is the map and kingdom creation info I used. 
As you can see I have made a custom difficulty which amounts to a fairly decent challenge with large and frequent invasions and enemy strength that increases over time.

Here are my notes (please forgive me if they're a bit rough around the edges):

After the map is generated and while the game is still paused...

Convert one builder to a mason, the second builder to a carpenter, and one of the miners into a second mason.

Surface: yak pasture, wheat and cotton farms, all 10x10.  Forage enough wild cotton to be able to plant the full cotton farm plot.  Make a basic soil stockpile.  Clear out a bunch of trees.

Level -3: Mine out a room for workshops and build 3 crude workshops.  2 of these are set to not accept build orders and only make planks repeatedly, the 3rd is set to a higher priority and is the only one used to make workbenches, chairs and chisels.

Level -4: Mine out a 10x10 space for a simple great hall.  Mine out a small room to be a dormitory and place straw beds inside.

Level -5: Start mining out the first set of personal bedrooms (each 4x4).

Level -7: Mine out a small area for stone.  Build a stonecutter here and set to make blocks repeatedly.

Sleepy time for all my gnomes!

Save File Y01_Q1_D02

Now I work on all of the following to be completed by the time the merchant arrives on the 5th:

Level -2:  Mine out a small space and build a market stall.

Level -3:  Build a carpenter, 2 sawmills, a loom and a tailor shop.  Deconstruct the old crude workshops.  Start crafting bolts of cloth and bandages (one of my original farmers gets reassigned to be a tailor).

Level -4:  Clear a space for my food/drink industry.  Build a butcher shop and carve up my male yak (around day 3).  Build a bonecarver and make the bone needle and a skull helmet.

Level -5:  Finish out the personal rooms by moving the straw beds from the dormitory.  I was able to complete this soon after the first time my gnomes slept on the 2nd.

Level -7:  Build a stonemason, stonecarver and a second stonecutter.  Add a new stockpile for crafts next to the stonecarver and construct the 3 starter crates there.  Set the stonecarver to make statuettes repeatedly.

Save File Y01_Q1_D05 (right after the merchant has arrived)

Mechant had no alpacas so I will have to settle for more yaks and hope for alpacas in summer.  I bought a male yak to replace the one I butchered a couple days before.  I sell off the yak milk and statuettes, I also sell off strawberry seeds leaving at least 100.  I buy up all the wine I can and more wheat seeds.

I create two civilian militia squads for my 9 starter gnomes with no armor or weapons "way of the gnome" and "Keep your eyes open" perks, retreat if bleeding.

Surface: Build a bandage stockpile.  Start mining a 1-tile-wide trench 10 tiles from each edge around the map to be the initial enclosure for my kingdom (fell trees and forage the trench path beforehand).  Clip some fruit trees to collect both fruit and clippings.

Level -3:  Add a furnace and forge to my main workshop room.  Assign a gnome to become an armorer (I swapped one of my woodcutters for this) and let him start making coal and copper bars.  Add simple coal and bar stockpiles.  Build a leatherworker and a fabric stockpile.  Use the bonecarver to make 2 bone shirts now that I can make leather straps for them.

Level -4:  Construct stone statues in great hall.

Level -7:  Stop crafting statuettes and begin crafting stone statues repeatedly.

Save File Y01_Q1_D08

Surface: Complete the perimeter trench.  Build walls for the entrance pathway. Build a couple training grounds.  Build a well.

Level -1:  Mine out personal rooms for soldiers.

Level -3:  Build blacksmith and armorer, start making copper armor pieces.

Level -4:  Build distillery and kitchen.  After gnomads arrive, deconstruct stone statues and move some into personal rooms.  We'll sell the rest later.

Level -5:  Mine out more personal rooms for summer gnomads.

Level -7:  Stop making stone statues and mine out this whole level for ore.  Start making stone statuettes again, will stop at summer merchant arrival.

I had 9 gnomads on the 1st day of summer, I assign a full squad of 5 to be my entrance guard.  The other 4 are assigned as woodcutter, brewer, metalworker and weaponsmith.

Save File Y01_Q2_D01

Surface:  Create new pasture for future alpacas.  Continue walling off the entrance pathway.  Farm only wheat and cotton so far, and forage strawberries, oranges and apples from the wild (clipping the trees to save for future groves).

Level -1:  Moved 3 stone statues from great hall into each soldier bedroom.

Level -2:  Built 2 more market stalls to prepare for summer merchants.

Level -4:  Deconstructed all statues from great hall and placed a few in key bedrooms (mostly soldiers and my metal industry), the rest will be sold to the merchants.

I had only 2 summer merchants show up despite having 3 stalls avaiable.  Between the statues and statuettes, I was able to buy 2 female and 1 male alpaca, 1 more female yak, and a bunch of fruit and wine, more wheat seeds and a few copper ores.  Sold off excess soil and stone.

Save File Y01_Q2_D05

I did not gain any gnomads this Fall, mainly due to the fact that I sold off all my statues during the summer and I dropped my kingdom worth down as a result.

I have outfitted my 5 soldiers in a mix of copper and tin armor, every slot filled by the end of summer.  No weapons yet.

I have decided to mine down deep to go for iron ore next, so I dig stairs down until I find iron at level -36 and start doing strip mining in a grid with torches 16 tiles apart.

With my first iron bars I craft iron hammers (4) for my two dual hammer frenzy fighters and hand axes (6) for my three dual axe frenzy fighters.  These soldiers have gone without any crafted weapons up to this point and have done just fine.

Now that I have full iron weaponry, I will focus on building 5 full sets of iron armor.  My goal is to finish the iron armor before the end of the year.

I finally have enough straw on hand to start making proper wooden beds.

I have been expanding my farm plots and groves on the surface.  Currently I only have wheat, cotton, oranges, and pine trees.  I have no plans to use strawberries or grapes as they require replanting after every harvest, while fruit trees do not.

Half of my outer perimeter now has a wall on the inside of the trench.  This provides privacy from peeping Tom enemies in that area.  I have not started developing the opposite side so there is no need to build a wall there yet, the gnomes do not have any reason to go there -- I'll worry about a wall on that side when I use up the space on my walled side.

I have a kitchen, but still do not have a cook yet.  My food supplies will go down a lot faster if my gnomes eat only raw unprepared food, so I should try to assign a cook A.S.A.P.  Prepared food will make it easier to make it through winter.

Save File Y01_Q3_D07

I received 5 gnomads at the start of Winter, bringing my total up to 23.

I completed the 5 full suits of iron armor halfway through winter and immediately started working on steel weapons.  Steel armor will follow.

I finished the perimeter wall around the inside of the trench, it was a good time to work on a building project with all my farmers sitting idle.

Save File Y01_Q4_D09

This seems as good a spot as any to end this walkthrough.

Comments:
It had been a couple months since the last time I made a kingdom that had all of the enemies -- I had almost forgotten how much I dislike wild animals, they have such a bad knack for leaving corpses far outside your fortress gate.

If I were to continue this kingdom, I would hope to make another 5 more soldiers in Spring of year 2.  With the settings I used, you will need a lot of soldiers in a hurry and you will also want some traps to thin out the invasions.  I would expect a mant invasion at the beginning of Spring -- I had not seen any mants in the first year.

Anyway, I hope you guys find this useful.  Looking at the save files will probably be the best way to get a feel for how this kingdom is going -- a lot more effective than my rough notes for sure.  I hope it's not a problem for me to put up 7 new saves on the dropbox!  ;D

Comments and questions are always welcome!

Etherios

• View Profile
Re: Kelderek's First Year Open Fortress Walkthrough Guide - With Save Files
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »
o.O omg man you are good with guides  :P

Awesome guide ... ill be doing a few test runs with this :-P THANK YOU

Gnomarch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »
Great guide :)

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:54:32 PM »
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

On a funny note, the game originally generated the random name "handplant".  It seemed only natural to make a more fitting change to that name for generation as you can see in my screenshot.   8)

Etherios

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 05:29:57 AM »
i want to ask a question tho ... why iron armor? isnt bronze faster to make and then go for steel?

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »
Bronze bars require 50% more time to make than any other bar and 50% more coal as well.  To make bronze you need to craft the copper bar, then the tin bar, and finally the bronze bars (yield is 2).  That is three actions to get 2 bars, you also need 3 pieces of coal to make those 2 bars.

The only reasons why iron might be longer to make is the amount of time it takes to mine down to a deep enough level and it requires a higher mining skill, but once you get there it is just as fast to make iron armor as it is to make copper armor.  The extra time it takes for a low skilled miner to extract the ore isn't that big of a problem compared to how long the armorer and forge workers take to assemble the pieces.  I had no trouble keeping a constant flow of iron ore for my crafters to keep them busy -- I didn't have many idle crafters waiting for iron ore to arrive.

As you can see from my guide, I had no problem completing 5 full suits of iron armor before the end of the first winter, in fact much of it was done before the end of Fall.  Going forward I would try to make 5 full sets of steel armor and recruit 5 more soldiers so I would have 5 in iron and 5 in steel.  I could keep adding soldiers 5 at a time and make 5 steel armor sets at a time and always be able to have a nice set of iron to fall back on -- I would rather do that sort of thing with iron than with bronze.

Bobadew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 09:08:37 PM »
Nice work Kelderek! Very similar play style even though at the moment I am doing the decorate mode.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:51:08 AM »
Thanks!

You can definitely do a lot more decorating than I did, especially if you are good at planning ahead with your layout.  The trick is to just make sure you have your priorities right.  In this type of scenario, establishing your military need to be the most important thing.  It would be bad for example if you used up all your wood making furniture and didn't have enough coal that you need for making armor.

Bobadew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 05:57:48 PM »
I have done exactly that with wool and making beds and needing bandages. REALLY screwed myself over haha.