June 19, 2018, 07:08:48 AM

Author Topic: Starbound  (Read 9285 times)

Chiko

• View Profile
Re: Starbound
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »
All my steam friends are playing it. Makes me sad. :'(

I was going to buy bit but was one dollar short.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 07:35:45 PM »
I've been making good progress so far.  I've managed to beat the first two tier bosses and am now playing around in the 3rd sector.  I've collected a full set of tier 3 racial armor (I'm playing Glitch)

Had a few crashes, mostly from the main menu of the game trying to load into a character, but it's always worked again the next time I try.

I came across my first Avian village, and I have to say it looked amazing!  Also found a few tiny mini-dungeon rooms like a buried tomb and a high-tech laboratory.

Tons of fun so far :)

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 08:30:35 AM »
After the first planet was explored we decided to mine some fuel, grab our rusty weapons, warp into our fish-like ships and see if space had some balls.

First we were: MY GOD. IT'S FULL OF STARS

Then: CRAP THE JUICE IS GONE AND THIS PLANET IS HELL

...I'm loving this game...

Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 12:36:49 PM »
I've played for a bit, after finding out that I preordered it so long ago that I forgot.  It's been interesting to try but now that I've seen it, I'm happy to wait for the beta to complete for the game.  I'd rather wait to see the actual storyline to be completed before I go too far or want to build anything really big. I knew already that the earliest beta wouldn't have the storyline though, so it's fine.  I did end up finding out that I could have left the first planet without having to fight the first boss though... the way the current placeholder quests work are pretty vague and I thought I had to wait before I could travel. Oh well! Discovering some of the unique underground biomes was really fun.
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specified as such.

ArwingXL

• Game Art Donator
    • View Profile
    • RADCORE.US
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 04:41:35 PM »
Put in 61 hours with my friends, saw all of the dungeon and underground biomes, weapons, armors, techs. Enjoyed the game, but developed some concerns over their creative decisions being an animator(pokemon and simpsons side characters walking around in game). Voice them on irc. banned by Marketh because "We don't care what you think of the game. its beta, Uninstall if you don't like it."

Well, shit.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 04:44:27 PM by ArwingXL »

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 09:26:26 AM »
banned by Marketh because "We don't care what you think of the game. its beta, Uninstall if you don't like it."

Permabanned? If, its very rude... I'd wish they wouldnt pull a Zero on this. I like the game for what it is (it doesnt pull me like it could at the moment...), but if they start to abuse their power, its going to go south fast...
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

NeoNero

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 09:13:04 AM »
@ ArwingXL

one of the mobs reminded me of agumon from digimon^^

i also read that they want to make a new mob every week
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/a-generated-monster-every-friday.8063/

that reminds me of pokemon were they release 100+ every new generation^^
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 09:14:55 AM by NeoNero »

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 09:36:15 AM »
I am not sure on what to think about starbound. It feels boring to me.

There are like 100 enemies around, but most are boring "run toward you and bite" kind. There are so many that their behaviours - should they differ from runney-bitey - only become aparent once they used it. There is not a cats chance in hell that I could remember what creature has what attacks - if the game even keeps them the same and doesnt alternate them between landings anyway.

Other than that, its "mine down", "collect ore", "die or log out", "smith", repeat. Eat some bandages if you are getting hit, if you do not want to die yet.

With the sheer number of "discard planets" I feel no push to terraform anything other than a banana farm (differs from race to race) and some other food. Yeah you could build up your own little village - but that means you would need to fly back and from there all the time - this seems like a bit of a hassle.

I probably wanted too much from this game. Wanted the "terraforming" to matter. Not sure if it ever will (Yes, beta and all... We all heard this). If it doesnt, maybe the mods that will come out will improve this. If they do not - I probably will get the games worth just in the beta. Some spelunking, a few nice encounters... That sort of thing. But nothing lasting, terraria style 50+ hours thing.

How to share Savegames

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 12:08:40 PM »
~snip

You should take a look at this new blog post about the future planned features.  According to the post ALL of this stuff is planned and there is even more planned that they aren't talking about yet.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 01:14:56 PM »
I did. Unfortunatly a day after I wrote my little rant.

Its cool though. They seem to see the games weak points as I do, more or less. They also warned us that the game wouldnt be nearly feature complete. I just wasnt expecting the rampant blandness i encountered, so it shocked me a bit. I guess i just wait until about february to give it a new spin. Characters might be wiped once or twice until then anyway  ;D

How to share Savegames

ArwingXL

• Game Art Donator
    • View Profile
    • RADCORE.US
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2013, 02:32:47 AM »
I got to planet X level 10 with all of the necessary gear accompanying the trip to survive in less than a week. In multiplayer, people either do this together or goof off/build/roleplay, but even the latter stuff gets boring quickly. If you tell tiy that this is a hipster game and has no point, he laughs at you and says "so?" Which goes to say any criticism of this game is utterly pointless. They're doing it for money, shits, and giggles, so just ride it out till you don't want to play it anymore and then uninstall.

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 09:43:26 AM »
I was disappointed when me and my friend got past the first armor tiers, especially in Sector X, where armor tiers do not need their weaker versions when crafting them anymore. You can easily skip lots of tiers and ruin the endgame...

The dungeons are cool and I love how they implemented some platform-like jumping puzzles, but they're useless since you can build dirt bridges and walk past them.

But the two things that I hate is that guns are found very late in game (and they are near useless due to lots of energy consumption and the 90% of mobs charging you), and the small number of craftable decorative blocks :3

DarkLadyPhoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 12:00:32 PM »
I've lost days to this game. As in, sit down and play and suddenly it's 3 in the morning...
I've bought the soundtrack and put it on my ipod because it's also gorgeous.

I love betas where I can watch the game evolve into something great. I get to watch the monster AI improve and the adjustments make to the UFO etc. Too much fun. I don't really care about wipes that much because that means I get to collect everything just when I feel like I'm a little OP.