June 19, 2018, 07:10:17 AM

Author Topic: Starbound  (Read 9286 times)

Kelderek

• View Profile
Starbound
« on: August 24, 2013, 12:49:01 PM »
I was surprised that there is no topic for this one yet.  Some of the same folks who made Terraria are developing Starbound.  No playable version yet for the public, but the game seems to be getting close to some form of alpha or beta access.

http://playstarbound.com/

They are showing off the game at a convention in Britain called i49.  Here's a Let's Play video of a bunch of newbs trying it out.  These guys are not very good at playing, they probably never played Terraria, but the game looks great and this is the up to date build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTqsIwd4EFU

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 09:55:41 AM »
Yeah there was a little discussion on the indie games topic. Can't wait to make my Hylotl character.

The only thing I dislike are the pokemon-like monsters...

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:51:42 PM »
The only thing I dislike are the pokemon-like monsters...

Pokemon... that's just slang for a Jamaican proctologist  :P

Heyub

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
I loved terraria, I have over 500 hours on it, needless to say I'm very excited to see starbound! However, I'm afraid to buy it when it does come out. Now that I'm a college student developing my first game with several friends, it seems that time is all but abundant. The depth of Starbound is just breath-taking. Terraria took me 500 hours to finish entirely, I can only imagine how much time Starbound will take to finish entirely, if it is at all possible!

My friend has already pre-porderd Starbound and almost continually tells me about all of the posts on their blog. Their blog is a really nice blog, a good model for other developers to follow, I think.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 01:39:30 PM »
They have a bigger team of 6-7 people I think, and they usually make a blog post daily.  They are busy with a convention at the moment so the posts are behind a little right now.

I pre-ordered it already, it was only $15 and will give me beta access when that is available.

From what I can tell, there is a certain amount of unending gameplay.  It looks like the space part of the game is practically endless, continously generating new worlds for you to explore.

Here's a neat video that simply displays different forest looks for different worlds and biomes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kXWeUc_e8c#t=33

There is a ton of diversity.

Heyub

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:00:26 AM »
Just a week ago a friend of mine was showing me how many different weapons theres going to be. It was amazing, but even more so when he went on to tell me how many different combinations there would be of those weapons. I have no doubt the vast amount of content will far out weigh its cost.

Have you seen the music system they have planned? Its quite amazing!

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »
Well the soundtrack sounds great already, but yeah the instrument stuff is cool too.

The gun system reminds me of the borderlands series, but with crafting added in.

orbitmoria

• All they do is dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 01:50:33 AM »
I can't wait for Starbound. Since they just did a live expo, hopefully the Beta will be out soon.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 08:35:33 AM »
Judging from their awesome homepage, the progress bars are nicely coming along. So, it wont be long until we can finally check it out :)
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

emheath

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 04:21:11 PM »
I'm pre-ordering it now. Shouldn't be too long a wait, I hope!

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
I'm pre-ordering it now. Shouldn't be too long a wait, I hope!

Beta access starts tomorrow at 10am PST, so you're lucky, your wait will be nice and short!  I pre-ordered months ago, so it's been a long wait for me.

emheath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 08:24:06 AM »
I suppose not! That's only a couple of hours then, if the calculations are correct. I'm GMT time (UK) so PST is a little 8 hours behind us.

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »
Everyone's playing Starbound and I'm sitting here, staring at the frozen Chucklefish intro animation.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 10:13:20 AM »
Everyone's playing Starbound and I'm sitting here, staring at the frozen Chucklefish intro animation.

Did you at least get the "chuckle" sound? That one really weirded me out.

Now that I know about death by hypothermia, I might enjoy the game a little more. It was weird dying while I tried to sleep in a tent I... liberated from the locals and then suddenly die for no reason known to me. Aparently tents do not warm you  :D
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 12:44:05 PM »

Did you at least get the "chuckle" sound? That one really weirded me out.

lol. Yep the chuckle plays out and then the game crashes, but I managed to make it run by pressing Esc as soon as the logo shows up. The game looks very nice, it still needs lots of work tho.

I like the temperature hazard too! Makes bonfires a little more useful, and I love them :D

Too bad I can't load my savegame, now the game crashes when I warp down on the planet :(