June 19, 2018, 07:05:25 AM

Author Topic: X-Rebirth  (Read 14354 times)

Kelderek

• View Profile
X-Rebirth
« on: August 23, 2013, 02:53:34 PM »
I've had this game on my radar for ages it seems and now I see it's got a release date (Nov. 15) and is available for pre-order on Steam.

http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/info_en.php

The X Universe is in my opinion the best of space-based sandbox games out there.  I've only played X3: Reunion and X3: Terran Conflict from this series, but I have countless hours exploring and building a trade empire.  It was a very steep learning curve for me, but once I got the hang of it, I found it to be one of the most in depth game universes I've ever seen.

Gyro-Dragon

• View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:48:35 AM »
Played the X series since the start. Loved them all, not sure what they were thinking with the HUB mission though, way too many materials. The new one I like the look of, one ship though but then again I generally stuck to an M6 in the game anyway.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 04:07:01 PM »
I just started up a new Terran Conflict game to tide me over till Rebirth comes out.  I just hope I can save up the $50 in time, I have too much RL stuff I have to waste money on in the next couple months, so money is tight.  I might have to wait for a Steam sale. :(

Aerouge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:57:24 AM »
Hmm the graphics look awesome, but I am ... sceptical. To many good franchises went down the road to be appealing to bigger masses.

After the most hurtful demise of Dragon Age: Origins (A pitty that NO ONE EVER RELEASED OR WILL RELEASE A SEQUEL (see last line of http://xkcd.com/566/ to catch the referrence) ), I am sceptical about the X-Franchise as well. Sure it looks good, and seems to have a lot of fun stuff to do, but overall I am sceptical that the players will still be able to build and establish their empires any ways they want, as was the way with every other X-Game so far.

Still Egosoft did not make it to my "do not buy"-list ... and they have not been bought by EA... so there is still hope.

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »
I'm hopeful about Rebirth, and I think most of Egosoft's attempts to appeal to larger masses here are things that fans of the series will also benefit from. The graphics are beautiful, the atmosphere added by being able to actually interact with other people within the universe is appreciated (at least by me, and if it's done decently), and the UI is the worst part of X3/TC/AP (I haven't played X2 or earlier) so if they've successfully streamlined that, then great. Plus they claim that modding should be even easier than it was in their previous games. I also can't say I'll miss the factory sprawl of X3 if the new modular factories work as intended.

Egosoft is the only company that really stuck with the space sim during the last decade, and they've used their peerless experience in the genre and years of time to design a game engine from the ground up to support the kinds of things they want to do. That leaves me hopeful. And you know what, if they get the relative power of ship classes, or of NPC vs. the player ship, wrong at first, I can live with that. Egosoft support their games and even if they don't succeed in fully resolving those sorts of issues, modders probably will.

Long story short, if X-Rebirth still lets me build and manage a massive industrial/trade empire and military fleet while also improving the UI used to control it and fix issues like horribad pathfinding, then I will be pleased. And if their new world succeeds at actually feeling somewhat alive instead of a cold and barren universe where I'm the only actor with any kind of agency, then would be great too :)

And I completely agree with you, Aerouge, about the lack of sequels to DA:O. It was one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I also felt cheated by Mass Effect 3. ME1 was amazing, ME2 was also great. The fact that decisions you made throughout both those games would remain relevant all the way through was great and basically unprecedented. ME2 did suffer from messenger boy syndrome a bit, though. And ME3 was, as far as I'm concerned, the best of the 3, until the end when the entire series was ruined. Most of the appeal of the saga was how choice-driven it was, and how your decisions clearly affected the outcomes; but no, at the close of the series not a single decision you made during the three games mattered, you were presented with a really stupid deus ex machina that didn't fit within the game world at all, and given a few choices that lead to largely the same final result. The game up until then was some of the most epic (and I mean this in the dictionary sense, not the internet hyperbole) fun I've ever had in a game, but the ending tinged the experience and my memories of all three games with bitterness. Sorry for the rant, but I've been jilted on enough sequels (or, rather, lack thereof ;)) - I really hope (and am actually hopeful) that Rebirth will buck that trend.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 12:37:13 AM »
I've allowed myself to get hooked on X3TC again, I've been playing it non-stop all week!

When I played it before, I never really did any of the plots, I just ran around making complexes and such, but his time I want to try to do some of them.  I'm about 2/3 the way through the HUB plot and while daunting, it is still fun and I can see the real benefit it gives to shorten jumps.  I'm almost ready for the 2nd set of gates on the hub, just a few more crystals to go.  This is the first plot I'm doing, I can't wait to dig into the others.

I have a pretty solid empire so far, about 800 million credits right now and 6 complexes, 23 universe traders.  It's a good start.

The X games are basically the way I wish Eve Online would have been.  I played that game for a couple months and I really liked the way the game was designed, but my problem was that I had no interest in PvP at all.  They only have one server for Eve Online and they chose to make that one server be PvP, so there is no way to completely avoid it if that is what you want.  There may be repercussions for someone attacking you in certain systems, but they still can try if they feel like ganking you and ruining your day just so they can be a dick.  If Eve Online had elected to provide a second, PvE-only server where PvP was available as long as you opt in for it, then I would probably play that game for years.  But as it is now, I gave it 2 months and tossed it aside.  Call me a carebear if you want, but I much prefer cooperative online gameplay over PvP-style games.  I enjoy PvP in some games, as long as I can do it on my own terms (fully optional).

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 01:20:05 AM »
Guys, you X-fans definitley want to check out this

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

*to myself* Ok me, time to finally learn to play the X saga

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
Yeah, right before I started up this new game of X3TC I debated for a while whether I should buy X3AP.  In the end I figured I could get by just fine on X3TC until I can get X-Rebirth later, especially since there is plenty of content in X3TC I haven't done yet.

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 04:22:18 PM »
I've allowed myself to get hooked on X3TC again, I've been playing it non-stop all week!

You are screwed, you will never get your life back! ;) On a more serious note, if you haven't yet activated the second set of gates on the HUB and you think you're 2/3 the way through it... Well, you're in for a rude awakening! The last mission is, hands down, the most painful mission I've ever done in any game... Unless you've been preparing for it for a while, you have a loooooong way to go before you'll have accumulated the necessary materials.

Once you're done with the HUB I recommend going for the HQ :)

X3AP has some nice feature improvements over TC, including better UI, some balancing, some new ships and sectors, and better availability of Terran stuff. Also there's an an-game corporation that you can hire to build factory complexes for you all nice and pretty. But there's much less story, fewer things to do (some people don't mind, others are disappointed by that). And the everlasting conflict between Terran and Argon annoys some people. You're not missing out on too much by sticking with X3:TC; there are plenty of people who still prefer that version (although most people who play these games long term customize their experience with lots of mods).

Honestly, ever since Rebirth finally got a release date I've had the itch to go back and revisit either TC or AP, but there's one thing stopping me... I reformatted by computer since I last played, and getting my game up to speed with all my favorite mods (which I can't even remember anymore) is too daunting :-\ I would probably have to spend a whole day (and I mean a full waking day) scouring the forums just to find, install, and re-learn how to use them all. It's not that vanilla is bad, but after having played the game heavily modded I just can't go back. I'd miss too many little things!

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:09:25 PM »
I have the bonus package installed, not sure if that counts as a mod or not.  In addition to that the only mod I have installed is one that adds orbital weapons platforms for sale at the Argon Prime shipyard.  That one is a bit buggy for me as the platforms like to fly around a sector if I jump them to a gate, they are a pain to stop -- the tractor beam doesn't do it well enough.

I unlocked the 2nd set of gates on the Hub.  The first set I have is on Kingdom's End-Three Worlds and I put the second set at Preacher's Refuge-Shore of Infinity.  I plan to put the 3rd set at Omicron Lyrae.  I'm about midway through the silicon wafers part, but I need to build up a lot more microchip factories.  I don't mind if it goes a bit slow, I'll get it done eventually.  I've been leaving my game running with SETA on over night while I sleep.  Sometimes it works well, sometimes I have to abandon it and reload from the last save.  It really puts my out-of-sector defenses to the test around all of my complexes.

My favorite part of the game is the many ways I can automate my empire.  The various pilot scripts for logistics, trading and patrols are great -- I actually enjoy being able to go AFK and let my game run without me, it lets me know that I have set things up well if my properties all survive against the AI while I'm gone.

I haven't even ventured into Terran space yet, is that something I should go ahead and start doing?  IIRC from a previous version, isn't the jump drive disabled in those areas (you have to actually fly around)?  Or am I think of something else?

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »
The bonus pack additions are technically mods, but I usually think of them more as a patch. After all, Egosoft takes some of the most popular, well-implemented mods that add features or functionality consistent with their vision of the game, cleans them up a bit and 'signs' them so that they don't mark your game as modified (with the permission of the original creators, of course). Most of the work is done by the community, but Egosoft basically makes them official... I couldn't play the game without CLS and commercial agents. That said I also probably couldn't play, at this point, without mods like MARS Fire Control (vastly improved turret AI and improved drones), and I know there are many more that I can't remember. It's been a while.

Terran space is kind of terrible in that regard. You can't use your jump drive there, because there are no gates (just trans-orbital accelerators). And as icing on the cake, Terran sectors are FRACKING HUGE! Once I bought a Terran capital ship and decided to fly it out myself... I didn't even get one full sector before giving up. There are some good mining spots there, and wares and ships you can't get anywhere else (but you need decent rep with the Terrans for access, and selection is limited. Boarding and capping terran ships is often easier than obtaining them legally, and sometimes it's the only way). If you've never been there it's neat to go exploring - the vast spaces and huge stations are novel, but the difficulty moving around the systems there, unless you're in a really speedy ship, usually keep me away...

That said, I think you can set the HUB to connect to Terran systems, even though it makes no sense. There's also a mod (Terran jump script or something) that makes the jump drive work on Terran sectors.

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
Guys, should I start playing with TC or AP? Which one is "better"?

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »

Personally I think AP is a little better, but that said I think you're better off starting with TC. X3 and its iterations are unforgiving games with an immense learning curve, and while none of them hold your hand for more than one or two minutes before leaving you bewildered and lost, X3TC has more, and longer, story lines which help provide you with some sort of focus and direction while you figure things out. Just keep in mind that you can ignore the story whenever you want (with a few exceptions) and do your own thing, and return to it when you're ready. Plus, the setting and what story there is in AP will completely confuse you if you aren't familiar with what happened in X3TC, and I think that would make it less enjoyable.

And honestly, most of the new features in AP won't affect you at all as a new player, they are mostly there as additional content for the people who had been playing X3 in some form for years... There are a number of conveniences added (like slightly improved UI for certain things) but I think that's overshadowed by the benefits of beginning with X3TC.

Long story short, I think you're best off starting with TC, getting your feet wet and mucking about until you understand wtf is going on (and it will take you a long time, especially some of the more intricate things like boarding and figuring out CLS). If you're still having fun at that point, you could always transition to AP; it's not even expensive to do considering the bargain price you can get both games for at the Humble store this week. I strongly suggest downloading the Bonus pack for whichever version you do end up playing, they significantly improve the game. Another thing to note is most mods can be added to the game after the fact with little or no complication or downside (removing them, in certain cases, can be trickier), so if you notice something that bothers you, you can check if there's a mod to fix or improve it and check it out.

One other thing... AP introduced a stock exchange. I personally dislike this feature, because it completely removes any challenge there is in making your fortune. Using the stock exchange can easily get you 5 million credits in your first hour of playing, just by sitting there watching the stocks page, buying low and selling high. Another hour and you can easily be sitting in a hundred million credits (enough to buy practically any single thing in the game)... There is still work to be done, as you'll need better rating and rankings with the various races to buy a lot of what they have to offer, and actually building an industrial and trade empire is much more than just amassing the wealth needed to pay for all the pieces, but I find it a little lame. It's nice once in a while to be able to start anew but able to skip the slower start up phase, but I'd have preferred if the stock market weren't there, or at least weren't so ridiculously profitable.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »

I'm afraid I can't help with that, sorry, I only have TC myself and the much older Reunion.  I decided not to buy AP since Rebirth is so close.  As best I can tell TC and AP are basically the same game with some small changes.  You have to own TC in order to buy AP on Steam because the two games share a lot of the same files.  TC has more plot lines (something like 8 or 9 I think) and AP only has 3 or 4.  AP has some sort of on-going war between a couple races that may or may not cause you trouble/fun.  AP probably has a few upgraded UI changes and scripts, perhaps some new ships and such too.  When I researched the question of which is better, I found a lot of people who like both equally for different reasons with perhaps a small edge to TC for the extra plots, so I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.

EDIT: what he said, lol.

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 02:58:09 AM »
Ok, thanks for the advices. Can I build things like factories and space stations on TC? That would be nice.