March 28, 2017, 01:03:35 AM

Author Topic: Kelderek's handy tips  (Read 19685 times)

Kelderek

• View Profile
Kelderek's handy tips
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
Here are just a few of the things I have learned which I thought I would share, things which have helped me a lot in my various kingdoms:

1.  Duplicate workshops: if you really want to speed up your production you need to consider doubling up on some of your workshops.  But here's a step you should make sure you do if you add a second workshop of the same type -- give the new workshop all of the exact same standing craft orders.  As an example, let's say I have a forge with these orders:

silver bar (repeat)
copper bar (craft 100)

If I make a second forge, then I should give it the same orders.  One thing I didn't realize at first is that a "craft to" order is for a global quantity of your stocks, and not specific to that workshop.  So in this case, both my forges will work at making the rarer silver bars non-stop (I never have enough silver ore to need to cap this), and they both will work to build up a global total of 100 copper bars.

2.  Workshop Priorities: After you build your workshops, make sure you adjust their priorities on the overview tab.  I usually set the main workshops to 1 and any of the intermediate materials to 2 or 3.  As an example:
Armorer = priority 1
Forge = priority 2
Furnace = priority 3

This way my main workshops will make as much stuff as they can until running out of materials, then they will try to make more materials if necessary (forging bars, sawing planks, etc.).  I find that this helps me craft items a lot faster.

3.  Professions: I've found that for professions, a little overlap in skills is good but a lot of overlap makes things worse.  A "Jack of all Trades" type of profession is probably not going to be as useful in this game since skill level makes a huge difference in the speed of carrying out assignments.

There are certain skills which naturally go well together.  You can create a group of 2 or 3 professions that all have the same skills, but where each have different priorities on the order to perform those skills.  For example:

I make two professions, Miner and Mason, and give them both all of the "stone" skills.  Then I set up the priorities like this:
Miner -- Mining, Workshop, Build, ... Hauling
Mason -- Workshop, Build, Mining, ... Hauling

In this example, my Mason is also a builder and will craft stone items or build things before doing any mining.  Likewise, if there is nothing to be mined, then the Miner can help with stone crafts or building.

There are a lot of other combos that work well where you can give multiple professions the same skills, but change the priorities: Woodcutting + Carpentry, Rancher + Farmer, etc.

I end up with a very long list of professions and very few gnomes assigned to each one.  The result is that there is always a gnome that has a very high skill in something specific but there are also a few other gnomes that are capable of handling the same tasks if necessary (handy also when the main gnome is asleep).  By not overlapping the skills too much I make sure that the skill levels remain high and that means that things get done nice and quick.

Also, if you set up your professions like this, then you should not need to assign specific gnomes to workshops -- your profession priorities will already ensure that the right gnomes work at the right workshops.

Here's the actual profession data I use.  If you want to use it in your game, just create a file in notepad and paste all of this into it and save it in your "\Documents\My Games\Gnomoria\Professions" folder (exact location may vary on different operating systems).  Name the file "professions.ini".  once in your game you should be able to import it from the pause menu.

Code: [Select]
[Miner]
Miner = 1
Mason = 1
Stonecarver = 1
Mechanic = 1
Builder = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Mining;Build;Workshop;Mechanic;Agriculture;Hospital;Farm;Grove;Pasture;Tinker;Hauling

[Woodcutter]
Woodcutter = 1
Carpenter = 1
Woodcarver = 1
Mechanic = 1
Gardener = 1
Farmer = 1
Builder = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Grove;Agriculture;Workshop;Farm;Build;Mechanic;Mining;Hospital;Pasture;Tinker;Hauling

[Farmer]
Mechanic = 1
Gardener = 1
Farmer = 1
Builder = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Workshop;Farm;Agriculture;Pasture;Grove;Build;Mechanic;Mining;Hospital;Tinker;Hauling

[Rancher]
Leatherworker = 1
Mechanic = 1
Rancher = 1
Butcher = 1
Farmer = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Pasture;Workshop;Agriculture;Farm;Grove;Mechanic;Build;Mining;Hospital;Tinker;Hauling

[Builder]
Mechanic = 1
Builder = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Build;Mechanic;Hauling;Mining;Agriculture;Hospital;Workshop;Farm;Grove;Pasture;Tinker

[Tailor]
Weaver = 1
Tailor = 1
Leatherworker = 1
Bonecarver = 1
Mechanic = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Workshop;Mechanic;Mining;Agriculture;Build;Hospital;Farm;Grove;Pasture;Tinker;Hauling

[Engineer]
Tinkerer = 1
Machinist = 1
Engineer = 1
Mechanic = 1
Medic = 1
Caretaker = 1
Builder = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Hospital;Mechanic;Workshop;Build;Tinker;Mining;Agriculture;Farm;Grove;Pasture;Hauling

[Jeweler]
Gemcutter = 1
Jeweler = 1
Mechanic = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Workshop;Mechanic;Mining;Agriculture;Build;Hospital;Farm;Grove;Pasture;Tinker;Hauling

[Carpenter]
Woodcutter = 1
Carpenter = 1
Woodcarver = 1
Bonecarver = 1
Mechanic = 1
Gardener = 1
Builder = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Workshop;Build;Grove;Agriculture;Mechanic;Mining;Hospital;Farm;Pasture;Tinker;Hauling

[Brewer]
Mechanic = 1
Brewer = 1
Medic = 1
Caretaker = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Hospital;Workshop;Agriculture;Mechanic;Mining;Build;Farm;Grove;Pasture;Tinker;Hauling

[Cook]
Mechanic = 1
Chef = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Workshop;Agriculture;Mechanic;Farm;Mining;Build;Hospital;Grove;Pasture;Tinker;Hauling

[Mason]
Miner = 1
Mason = 1
Stonecarver = 1
Mechanic = 1
Builder = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Workshop;Build;Mining;Mechanic;Agriculture;Hospital;Farm;Grove;Pasture;Tinker;Hauling

[Hauler]
Mechanic = 1
Builder = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Hauling;Build;Mechanic;Mining;Agriculture;Hospital;Workshop;Farm;Grove;Pasture;Tinker

[Blacksmith]
Smelter = 1
Blacksmith = 1
Metalworker = 1
Mechanic = 1
Builder = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Workshop;Build;Mechanic;Mining;Agriculture;Hospital;Farm;Grove;Pasture;Tinker;Hauling

[Armorsmith]
Smelter = 1
Blacksmith = 1
Metalworker = 1
Weaponsmith = 1
Armorer = 1
Mechanic = 1
Builder = 1
Hauler = 1
JobPriority = Workshop;Build;Mechanic;Mining;Agriculture;Hospital;Farm;Grove;Pasture;Tinker;Hauling

[Weaponsmith]
Smelter = 1
Blacksmith = 1
Metalworker = 1
Weaponsmith = 1
Mechanic = 1
Builder = 1
Hauler = 1

[Archer]
Medic = 1
Caretaker = 1
JobPriority = Hospital;Mining;Agriculture;Build;Mechanic;Workshop;Farm;Grove;Pasture;Tinker;Hauling

[Footman]
Medic = 1
Caretaker = 1
JobPriority = Hospital;Mining;Agriculture;Build;Mechanic;Workshop;Farm;Grove;Pasture;Tinker;Hauling

[Monk]
Medic = 1
Caretaker = 1
Hauler = 1

4.  Building and Hauling:  I usually give all of my professions the Hauling skill, and usually as the lowest priority.  There is a time in any kingdom though where you should consider assigning a single gnome to a Hauler profession (only Hauling and maybe Build skills, with Hauling as top priority).  This is usually in the first year or two of your kindgom when most of your gnomes are likely to be constantly busy with your tasks.  This way, at least one of your gnomes will be constantly keeping workshops cleared out and stockpiles full.

Later on when you get more gnomes, then this is less of an issue as you will have more gnomes assigned for each skill type and their skill levels will be much higher meaning they will finish tasks faster -- more of them will be available for hauling.

I give Building (construction), to most of my professions at a  low priority, but not for all of them.  Most  notably I usually avoid building on my food/drink workers (cooking, brewing, farming, etc.), as I want them to stay focused on those tasks.

5.  Stockpiles: One of the most important things to do with stockpile priorities is to make sure that the raw materials are always lower than finished goods.  I include any intermediate crafted items in the finished goods category here, basically I am separating the items crafted by a workshop from things that are not.  For example:

Wood Logs = priority 4
Raw Stone = priority 4
Wood Planks = priorty 3
Stone Blocks = priority 3

Your workshops will slow down or even stop if their crafted items are not moved off to be used or stored (workshops have space for 20 items before they turn red and stop functioning).

Also, I adjust my stockpiles so that none of them are regularly set to a priority of 1.  This allows me to create or modify any emergency stockpiles which must be attended to immediately.

6.  Use Winter to your advantage:  Winter is the perfect time to do a large scale construction project if you plan ahead adequately.  You should be planning ahead for winter anyway since you will need sufficient food, drink, and logs once all your farms and groves stop growing.  As long as your farmers and grove-keepers have construction enabled (at a lower priority), then those gnomes will be available to help with any building projects you may have in the winter. 

Use the Fall season to stockpile the resources you will need along with the food/drink for the winter.  Perhaps stop mining for a bit and have your gnomes spend more time crafting stone blocks or wood planks.  Once winter kicks in you can use the time to build new expansions for your kingdom or to upgrade your existing rooms with better walls, floors, and furnishings.

Of course you can do building projects year round, but you may as well take advantage of the fact that you will have some extra workers in the winter.  Once spring comes around those gnomes will go back to tending their crops and groves since it is a higher priority for them than building.

I hope you guys find this useful, and if you have any comments or other ways to fine-tune these ideas, I'd love to hear them!

EDIT: added #6

DrFreudtheAdenoid

• View Profile
Re: Kelderek's handy tips
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 01:00:57 PM »
This is great. I'm really new to this game (three days and two kingdoms lost), and I'm still wondering a lot. For example, I didn't know if duplicate workshops would ever become worth it.

Also, the thing about workshops becoming red when they're too full to function was helpful. What do green and yellow mean?

And is there any explanation other than a lack of resources for workers being awake but idle when there are assignments waiting for them and I've made sure that that's their job? Happiness or anything?

Thanks.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 02:10:19 PM »
Also, the thing about workshops becoming red when they're too full to function was helpful. What do green and yellow mean?

Yellow simply means there is no pending work to be done.  If you have standing orders for the workshop and it is yellow, then this means that there are no available resources or that no gnome with the necessary skill is available (maybe asleep).  Green means that a gnome is actively working on a task there (if you don't see the gnome there, then it is likely off hauling the resources back to the workshop).

And is there any explanation other than a lack of resources for workers being awake but idle when there are assignments waiting for them and I've made sure that that's their job? Happiness or anything?

The usual culprits for idle gnomes are:
-- lack of needed resources.  Make sure you check the entire chain.  Armorer not making armor?  Be sure to check all of the ingredients and raw materials: cloth, metal bars, coal, etc.

-- gnomes are not assigned needed skills.  If you don't plan your professions well, it is easy to have a skill not accounted for.  Also, be sure to double check that important skills are assigned after any of your gnomes get killed.  I've had times where I couldn't figure out why something wasn't being crafted only to realize that the gnome with the skill died an unfortunate death somewhere.

-- workshop/farm/grove is suspended.  It can be easy to forget if you suspended something a while back.  You might need to activate it again.

-- profession/skill priorities not assigned well.  You might have to juggle the priorities if your gnomes are always doing something different than you want them to.  The main thing to decide with each profession is which is more important: building or workshop?  If my Mason has an order to make 1000 stone blocks and workshop is higher than construction, then I'll be waiting a while for him to build that block wall somewhere.  This is precisely why I suggest having 2-3 professions with the exact same skills but in different priority order.

I'm not exactly sure how happiness contributes, I've always been good at keeping my gnomes well fed and rested.

Esch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:11:46 PM »
Awesome guide, thanks for sharing!!

XelNigma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »
Nice tips, I wouldn't have thought of doing Tip #3.

May I request tips on farm and grove management?  I'm having issues with my farms/groves being too large for my farmers and woodcutters to manage. Employing Tip#3 will probably help a lot in this matter, but is there a rule of thumbs for an approximate plot size based on the number of gnomes you have assigned to the job?

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:00:03 AM »

May I request tips on farm and grove management?  I'm having issues with my farms/groves being too large for my farmers and woodcutters to manage. Employing Tip#3 will probably help a lot in this matter, but is there a rule of thumbs for an approximate plot size based on the number of gnomes you have assigned to the job?

Groves are a bit wonky right now.  They do not behave as they probably should with regards to their priority settings.  Right now it seems to use a global priority based on planting saplings > clipping > felling trees which seems to supersede the priority you set for your groves.  So for example if your Priority 1 grove is ready to fell trees, but your priority 4 grove is ready for clipping, then your gnomes will go do the clipping first.  This is highly frustrating as your gnomes may never get around to felling trees at all if you have enough groves.  There are bug reports for this in the support forum as the behavior should be to do all activity at a high priority grove before doing anything at a low priority one.

With that being said, it simply takes a bit more micromanagement right now.  It's hard to give a rule of thumb for plot size since it will depend on how many gnomes have the skill and how high the skill is.  A highly skilled gnome may be able to do the same work as two lower skilled gnomes.  I generally like all my groves to be a consistent 10x10 plot of 100 trees.  What I suggest is to suspend all but 1 grove at a time to allow your gnomes to complete all the steps there, then suspend that grove and un-suspend a different one.  As your gnomes get more skill you can get away with having more than one grove active at a time and decrease how often you have to look in on them.

Also, it seems that groves are prioritized ahead of non-grove tree tasks (clipping or felling trees outside of groves), so if you need to clear out a space of trees so you can build other stuff there, then you might need to suspend all of your groves temporarily.

If you rely on fruit as part of your food or drink supply, I suggest you only use strawberries.  Gnomes that have horticulture will forage from apple trees, but not from any other type of plant.  This allows you to force your woodcutters to only deal with wood and they can avoid foraging completely if you don't grow apple trees.  Of course you may choose to have apple trees for other reasons, but I usually avoid them.

cyberphenaeri

• All your base are belong to mants
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 05:13:24 AM »

As per groves, I've been following Bardodle's Efficient Groves - which works great.  I havent had to change my groves since!

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 12:19:51 PM »
Added another tip to the list, #6, enjoy!

reggubha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
4.  Building and Hauling:  I usually give all of my professions the Hauling skill, and usually as the lowest priority.  There is a time in any kingdom though where you should consider assigning a single gnome to a Hauler profession (only Hauling and maybe Build skills, with Hauling as top priority).  This is usually in the first year or two of your kindgom when most of your gnomes are likely to be constantly busy with your tasks.  This way, at least one of your gnomes will be constantly keeping workshops cleared out and stockpiles full.
With the new profession/militia system, I developed a tactic that helps me greatly with hauling:
My soldiers are all assigned to a Soldier profession that has only Hauling enabled. That means that with two squads, my training yards have 7-10 haulers pretty much on standby (some may be sleeping). If I see that my logistics are getting clogged, and/or I need to haul a lot of stuff around, I simply unassign one or more squads from training. Several hours of not training will not affect the skill development too much, especially due to the fact that only two soldiers of each squad can be training at any given time, but 10 haulers can move quite a bit of stuff in these few hours.
This tactic only backfires when trying to haul loot into the fort: when hauling weapons, the soldiers would drop their assigned arms in the field to take the worn stuff, and the dropped weapons require additional trips, which may not be an option if time is limited.

As a side tip, I tend to give Mechanic profession to everyone, so that the levers get turned asap.

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »
With the new profession/militia system, I developed a tactic that helps me greatly with hauling:
My soldiers are all assigned to a Soldier profession that has only Hauling enabled. That means that with two squads, my training yards have 7-10 haulers pretty much on standby (some may be sleeping). If I see that my logistics are getting clogged, and/or I need to haul a lot of stuff around, I simply unassign one or more squads from training. Several hours of not training will not affect the skill development too much, especially due to the fact that only two soldiers of each squad can be training at any given time, but 10 haulers can move quite a bit of stuff in these few hours.
This tactic only backfires when trying to haul loot into the fort: when hauling weapons, the soldiers would drop their assigned arms in the field to take the worn stuff, and the dropped weapons require additional trips, which may not be an option if time is limited.

As a side tip, I tend to give Mechanic profession to everyone, so that the levers get turned asap.

Actually this is a great idea, something that I hadn't thought of but which I can put to use easily in my military system.

For my military I have 3 types of soldier: Footman, Archer, Monk.  The footman is a highly trained, fully armored front-line bad-ass.  The archers are usually crossbowmen with minimal armor and no previous training.  My monks are basically trainee footmen cadets.  I keep them safe under ground away from any enemies and let them train without any armor or weapons and the "way of the gnome" perk enabled.  Over time I will add new monks from incoming gnomads and promote the most skilled ones to footmen, so they equip themselves with weapons and armor and get sent up to my kingdom entrance.

Those monks would be perfect for the use you describe.  I can give them hauling and use them for emergency stockpile management without fear of diminishing my main kingdom defense.

Yinan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 08:45:27 AM »
Like your Professions Tip...
Ever thought about posting a complete Profession List for the Start? Meaning the Professions that you usually go with for your 9 starting Gnomes in the first Season. Would be really nice to see a full one (also the tip is already great :D).

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 01:17:56 PM »
Like your Professions Tip...
Ever thought about posting a complete Profession List for the Start? Meaning the Professions that you usually go with for your 9 starting Gnomes in the first Season. Would be really nice to see a full one (also the tip is already great :D).

I updated my OP with the code for the professions I use in case anyone wants to try it out, though I suggest people do some trial and error on your own too to help learn what's really going on under the hood.

As for the start of a new kingdom, after I import these professions, I make a few changes right off the bat before I un-pause the game:
one Miner becomes a Mason, one Farmer becomes a Brewer, one Woodcutter becomes a Carpenter.  I then change both of the Builders to something else, depending on their skills.  Usually another woodcutter and maybe a tailor. So the end result looks something like this:

Brewer
Farmer
Rancher
Carpenter
Woodcutter
Woodcutter
Miner
Mason
Tailor

I choose a Brewer because early on I will not have enough yak milk to accommodate my drink needs.  I can get by eating foraged fruit for a long time, but drink is harder to get.

As I get more gnomes, I will need to assign some more professions as soon as possible: Cook and Blacksmith for example and any military units.  I don't usually mess with an Engineer until several seasons in.

Your results may vary.  Everyone plays differently and uses different strategies, especially at the start of a new kingdom.  Also, while my tip up above says to avoid using Jack of all Trades professions, you may need more overlap in the early seasons than you will later on.  An example of this is my Blacksmith which does not have armor or weapon crafting -- my first blacksmith my tack on those skills until such time as I can separate it out across a few gnomes.

I could easily use a generic Blacksmith profession that does everything with metal and have a bunch of gnomes assigned to it, but I separated out the weapon crafting and armor crafting so that only a single gnome does those things.  I do this in hopes that the gnome will gain a much higher skill, though this may be a bad example since you never make a ton of weapons or armor like you do other things like food.

Yinan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 01:33:16 PM »
Thanks a lot for that!

Esch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »
Sorry for the slightly off topic on this but you brought up being able to import professions into a new game. How do you do that exactly? How do I save them from one game and bring them in the next? I never knew this existed and this will shred a ton of time off at the beginning of each new game for me. Thanks!

Yinan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »
There is a Button in the Menu called "Export/Import". You can Export the Profession List with the Professions as well as your Squad List with the Squads and Import them (in the same way) in another game.