November 22, 2017, 12:24:50 PM

Author Topic: List of Pixel Art Programs  (Read 162718 times)

cyberphenaeri

• All your base are belong to mants
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
List of Pixel Art Programs
« on: June 04, 2013, 04:33:01 PM »
Hi Gnomers! - thought I would start a list of  - free -  pixel art drawing programs (while we await RoboBob's updates!).
This may jump-start creativity for pixel artists into making their own spritesheets for Gnomoria!  There are so many flavors to choose from!
Let's see that artistic vigilance!

Feel free to suggest your own favorite Gnomoria spriting tool!
If this list does qualify being put into the Addons/Textures subforum, we CAN move it :D

- ALL FREE -

aseprite
"Animated sprite editor & pixel art tool." Not many mentions online of this software but it features a nice cozy interface to work with!

Pixel
"Cross-platform RGB, CMYK and HDR image editing and photo retouching…"

grafx2
"GrafX2 is a bitmap paint program inspired by the Amiga programs Deluxe Paint and Brilliance."

isoblox
"A cross-platform sprite-based pseudo-3D isometric pixel art modeling aid."

MyPaint
MyPaint is a fast and easy open-source graphics application for digital painters.

GIMP
"GNU Image Manipulation Program"

Pencil
"A traditional 2D animation software"

Pinta
Pinta is a free, open source drawing/editing program modeled after Paint.NET.

Synfig Studio
"Synfig Studio is a free and open-source 2D animation software, designed as powerful industrial-strength solution for creating film-quality animation using a vector and bitmap artwork."

Alchemy
"Alchemy is an open drawing project aimed at exploring how we can sketch, draw, and create on computers in new ways."

Krita
"Krita is a KDE program for sketching and painting, offering an end–to–end solution for creating digital painting files from scratch by masters."

mtPaint
"mtPaint is a painting program which Mark Tyler developed from scratch so he could easily create pixel art and manipulate digital photos."

Paint.NET
"Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows"

GraphicsGale
The free version is all you need.  Paid version is about $20 bucks or so.

MSPaint
Bundled with Windows.

Seashore
Seashore is an open source image editor for Mac OS X's Cocoa framework.

Paintbrush
"Paintbrush is a simple paint program for Mac OS X, reminiscent of Microsoft Paint and Apple’s own now-defunct MacPaint."

Pixel Art Editor
"Powerful pixel-art editor with multitouch support."

Pixelation
"Pixation is my attempt to make the best pixel editor for the iPhone."

Piq
"piq is a free online app for creating pixel art."

Cat

• View Profile
Re: List of Pixel Art Programs
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »
Nice collection.  I used GIMP to make all the sprites for the Gnomoria subreddit. It didn't take too long for me to get the hang of it. The first one took me 40 minutes of messing around trying to figure out what the buttons were doing, but now if I need to add anymore I could do it in just a couple minutes. 
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specified as such.

cyberphenaeri

• View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:25:55 PM »
Nice collection.  I used GIMP to make all the sprites for the Gnomoria subreddit. It didn't take too long for me to get the hang of it. The first one took me 40 minutes of messing around trying to figure out what the buttons were doing, but now if I need to add anymore I could do it in just a couple minutes.

Thanks - spent a couple hours bending the internet results to my will, testing a few of the programs, and compiling this post.  I just want to see more texture sets made for Gnomoria!

I'm in the same boat about aseprite (the first one) -  The drawing environment is a nice feature but the novelty doesn't last too long. 
The interface and tools are a bit too simple (as many of these programs in the list are).  I'm sure it's a great program, however.  Some artists like it simple! :)

isoblox was the one I was quite surprised with, which ended up being not exactly what the initial post was intended for.  Although it is not very full featured yet, I like the idea of it as a pixel block drawing tool. 
At the moment, it's almost like playing Gnomoria, except in drawing, and with no colors.  You can use it to plan one face of a map rather than to, say, draw a pretty textured block.

I downloaded GIMP a very long time ago and have not tried it since.  As it is (from what I've heard) a very good alternative to Photoshop, I will have to give it another go!

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 01:16:19 AM »
Is one of those programs able to turn a square tile into an isometric one? That would be nice :)

Faark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 05:05:42 AM »
Are all of those able to do alpha channel / transparency stuff? Some parts of the tileset use it. At least MSPaint could not, if i remember it correctly.
When will your gnomes start flooding your kingdom with legendaries? - Check out my mods! - Want to create mods yourself? Here is a early draft of a modding tutorial. Just checking by here infrequently these days, but feel free to PM me!

Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »
Are all of those able to do alpha channel / transparency stuff? Some parts of the tileset use it. At least MSPaint could not, if i remember it correctly.

I can't speak for any of the other ones besides MS Paint (which we already know can not), but GIMP is able to work with alpha and transparency.
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specified as such.

cyberphenaeri

• View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:56:48 PM »

I can't speak for any of the other ones besides MS Paint (which we already know can not), but GIMP is able to work with alpha and transparency.

Some of these programs may not support alpha/transparency AND Some of these programs might not even be the type of pixel editors we're looking for! (ie isoblox - I'll update that)

However, if anyone is planning to use any of these programs to edit/replace the default.png included in the >Gnomoria/Content/Tilesheet folder, then alpha or transparency shouldn't be an issue.
The transparency for the .png file used in Gnomoria is actually just hex color #FF00FF aka RGB (255, 0, 255) aka Magenta or "Hot Pink".  PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M MISSING SOMETHING! :D
I understand in other games, this method does not work, but in Gnomoria so far it's been working for me.

I'll have to test out a few more of these programs (I haven't tested them all). 
If you'd like to know - So far, these programs appear to have transparency built in:
aseprite
grafx2
GraphicsGale
GIMP
Paint.NET
Krita
MyPaint
mtPaint
Seashore
Pinta
as well as maybe a few more (test test)

Faark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 02:44:12 AM »
The transparency for the .png file used in Gnomoria is actually just hex color #FF00FF aka RGB (255, 0, 255) aka Magenta or "Hot Pink".  PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M MISSING SOMETHING! :D
The game uses both. Pink is the default background and made transparent by XNA. But this color key method does not allow you to make stuff half transparent, so few stuff has to use the alpha channel instead. Currently used only by the top armor layer, metal blocks / floors, another block tile and sth that could be an decal for the butchers desk.
When will your gnomes start flooding your kingdom with legendaries? - Check out my mods! - Want to create mods yourself? Here is a early draft of a modding tutorial. Just checking by here infrequently these days, but feel free to PM me!

blackstrip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »
Hi2all!

I create my own freeware graphics editor PaintCAD for pixel art. You can operate this editor using keyboard only (without mouse, just use cursor on image). PaintCAD has 2 versions: "4Windows" for Windows PC, "Mobile" for java/android mobile phones.

PC version (4Windows)

In PaintCAD 4Windows you can:
- draw images
- apply various effects
- create your own PCF raster fonts and use it on your images
- pack/unpack animated GIFs from/to GIF frames
- pack/unpack AVI videos from/to BMP/JPG frames
- use webcamera for photo/frame-by-frame video/stream video with audio/3d photo/3d frame-by-frame video
- draw 3d pictures and animations (and save it as anaglyph or stereopair)
- draw and save PNG images with semitransparency
- program drawing of pictures and animations with Scriptaint tool using Java Script
- create and edit WAV files: audio tracks for your AVI videos, sound effects, music, etc. using Qmpot digital sound editor tool

Official page with info: http://blackstrip.ru/soft.php?softyp=comp&lang=en&softid=4

Screenshot:

Hotkeys:

Short video-guide about simple drawing with pen, polyline, fill tools:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VuNOkaiG9E

Download latest version of PaintCAD 4Windows
RAR: http://blackstrip.ru/pcw.rar
ZIP: http://blackstrip.ru/pcw.zip
EXE (installer): http://blackstrip.ru/pcw.exe

Mobile version (Java/Android)

In PaintCAD Mobile you can:
- draw images
- apply various effects
- create your own PCF raster fonts and use it on your images
- pack/unpack animated GIFs from/to GIF frames

Official page with info: http://blackstrip.ru/soft.php?softyp=java&lang=en&softid=1

Screenshots:

Download latest version of PaintCAD Mobile

For Java:
JAR: http://blackstrip.ru/PaintCAD.jar
JAD: http://blackstrip.ru/PaintCAD.jad

For Android (java port):
APK (Google Play): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.microemu.android.paintcad.PaintCAD
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:36:36 PM by blackstrip »

jessica121

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 11:51:29 PM »
nice discussion going on, one pixlr art you can make throught http://www.onlinephotoshopfree.net will be awesome.

Rephath

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 06:16:12 PM »
Been using MSPaint. I will allot 2 minutes for you to laugh at me.

Done? Okay, there's no transparency and I don't know what alpha is, but I'm going to assume I don't have it. Is this still a viable tool?

kiel814

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 05:15:49 AM »
Alpha is a measure of opacity. If an image has an alpha of 100% is totally opaque. As the alpha level decreases, the image will become more translucent, allowing you to see whatever is behind it. At 0% it is completely transparent (invisible), and you will only see the background.
Alpha level can be applied to an entire image or pixel by pixel.
It usually comes in the form of a fourth channel (the first 3 are R, G and B).

You are right, Paint does not have the ability to control alpha. But it is still a great tool, for me at least.
Are you a programmer? Since I do use Paint, I created a simple tool in C++ using Irrlicht engine that changes a specific color in an image for another. I usually use this to make transparent all magenta pixels in an image.
However it is not in the form of a user friendly tool, so you still have to open the code, set a few parameters and then run the app.

Rephath

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 04:49:12 PM »
Will Open Office draw work?

alensmith

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 10:38:08 PM »
Do check out the similar tool whihc is like pixlr, It has some animated option and other browser based editor like pixlr. You should add this tool in the list, which is also a best Photoshop Online alternative http://www.toolpic.com
It has shorcut effect, with frame.