August 18, 2017, 01:04:54 PM

Author Topic: Bug?? Unwinnable?  (Read 1866 times)

BrTarolg

• View Profile
Bug?? Unwinnable?
« on: April 06, 2013, 05:43:36 PM »
Ok so i got into an interesting situation

Everything was going swimmingly, had a bunch of copper/bronzed up gnomes as fighters, high skill, good training, very rare on deaths (usually only when my gen pop gets caught off guard) - 26 gnomes

Ok, so i know mostly copper is a bit weak so i go digging around for ore

I'm in year 2 atm, spring, everything is pretty sweet, got good stocks of food, alcohol, money for trading, weapons, armor etc. Tinker shop coming along nicely

So i venture down (not that far mind you) and start digging

So i run into a beetle nest that seems to be have spawning for a LONG time. I thought if i attacked with 10 fully outfitted gnomes i'd be fine, but the battle lasts 2 years, and i realise that the beetles have been on a floor below me and spawned, and it spawned into a "cavern" that was already there before i mined into it.
So i start fighitng the beetles, and i quickly realise theres so many beetles that i can't even count. I think i ended up killing 20-30 beetles and they just kept on coming and waving me until all my gnomes were decimated.

So is this supposed to happen when you first run into beetles? Was i unlucky that a beetle spawned in a cavern a long time ago and then started making tons and tons of beetles without me knowing about it until i dig down there aeons later?

bvierra

• No matter where I am, you can find me there.
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria Wiki
Re: Bug?? Unwinnable?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 06:13:09 PM »
You were unlucky. The best way to handle this is to wall it back off until you have more higher level / better equipped soldiers to deal with them and make sure to mine around them.
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat
Feature Requests | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specifically specified as such

King Knee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:55:21 AM »
I had that happen too, the Beetles just kept coming and even If I could kill them, every fight took ages and my miners and haulers were spazzing out and dying of hunger/thirst.  I just resorted to walling up their spawn point from a cavern deep below.

ezryder914

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:24:45 AM »
This is why I disable beetles on new kingdoms.  They have no practical use (except as training and legendary weapon makers, but mants fill that need already) and the reproduction/spawn rate can bring a powerful computer to it's knees.  :)

Some minds are like concrete,
all mixed up and permanently set.
   ---A Red Rose Tea Bag

Joren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »
I agree. Beetles as they stand are kind of broken. They can start spawning unbeknownst to the player deep in the caverns. By the time the first beetle is spotted there is no way to know how many of them have already spawned, it might be one or dozens. Finding the nest is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Attacking the beetles is always a huge risk, with failure easily leading to the end of the fort. Breaching the beetle infested caverns also means that hundreds or thousands of dark tiles will become eligible to spawn other monsters. What does the player get for all this trouble and risk? Very little: some ores that he might not otherwise have been able to mine, and some experience on soldiers. The only sensible course of action is to ignore the beetles and the parts of the cavern where they tend to roam.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:26:22 AM »
Only attack beetles when they cant attack back (perfect opportunity to get your shooters some skill) or if you have 10-15 soldiers in steel. That garants you a victory in useful time, as killing them with bronze equipment takes ages and might cost lives. Not so sure about iron. Iron is probably good enough, but I like to have a properly prepared army against them.

They are kind of boring if you field steel weapons though. Like mants.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

reggubha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 03:27:42 PM »
Only attack beetles when they cant attack back (perfect opportunity to get your shooters some skill)
What he said. Mine/build a perch above the beetles, put a torch and a ranged squad there, a couple seasons later you have a lot of beetle corpses and a much more experienced squad.